Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 146315 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #475 on: October 19, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »
I wish I could disagree emphatically. Can't . Sorry for both our luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #476 on: October 19, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
Yep, and I think they are evil enough bring infected people here to infect us and cause a few ebola deaths -- just so they will have something to save us from.  They think they can control it well enough to have a scary but small and manageable crisis.

October Surprise, but this one blew up off schedule.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #477 on: October 19, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #478 on: October 19, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »
Because I'm not quite clear on this-

Someone who is "self-quarantined" and "monitored" for Ebola, after being exposed to Patient Zero, WENT ON A CRUISE WITH 3000+ OTHER PEOPLE IN A CONFINED SPACE!?!?!?

Yeah. Like the network medical reporter (an M.D.) who self-quarantined herself after being over there and then went out to a fast food joint to pick up dinner. Or the Yalies who went to Liberia so they could write a computer program to track infections (What? It's not possible to write computer programs in New Haven? Who knew?) and then came home to "self-quarantine." Problem is, to get home they had to fly several hours in an airplane with a few hundred other people. Then they had to process through immigration and customs in close proximity to lots of other people. Assuming they returned to the U.S. through JFK in New York, that's about 80 miles from New Haven and they probably traveled by bus or limousine. So after potentially exposing probably at least a thousand people -- they THEN shut the doors to their apartments and "self-quarantined"?

Why is it that nobody in authority in this God-forsaken country understands what "Q-U-A-R-A-N-T-I-N-E" means? It's not difficult: "Keep potentially sick people away from people who aren't sick."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #479 on: October 19, 2014, 11:47:52 PM »
2. It would make it harder to track infected people
Experts say a travel ban would make people less likely to seek treatment or be honest about any contacts they have had with Ebola patients. And it could encourage people to leave West Africa in other ways before heading to the U.S., making them harder to track.

This is from the country that, a few years ago, managed to trace a single infected COW from a ranch in Canada to a barn in the U.S. And cows don't travel with tickets and passports.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #480 on: October 19, 2014, 11:55:43 PM »
In the interests of accuracy, I point out that the healthcare worker on the cruise ship was actually a lab supervisor, who may have handled a lab sample of Mr. Duncan.  Having worked in a hospital lab before, the potential for transmission to a lab worker is much, much less than it would be for a nurse providing hands-on care to Mr. Duncan. 

My sister-in-law WAS a lab technician in a private lab. She quit that line of work about 20 years ago because she considered the risk of infection from other blood-born pathogens unacceptably high. True, she was a tech rather than a supervisor, but the stuff is in the lab, and Murphy's Law always applies.

• friends
« Reply #481 on: October 19, 2014, 11:56:09 PM »
Cows don't buy fake documents or sneak across borders to get out of a hot zone. Nor would one be motivated to do whatever it takes to get a kid treated.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #482 on: October 19, 2014, 11:59:43 PM »
Several African nations have shut this bastard down and are no longer "hot zones". 

I thought only three West African countries were "hot zones," and the rest of the nearby countries moved proactively to close their borders, which is why they aren't hot zones. Of the three that were initially clobbered, I believe only one has it under some semblance of control -- and that may only be due to under-reporting of new cases.

• friends
« Reply #483 on: October 20, 2014, 12:15:43 AM »
Yea and there is the 42 day incubation period wild card too. In some places they are so jacked up they are treating at home. That can cause under reporting of both cases and deaths

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #484 on: October 20, 2014, 12:22:58 AM »
Gotta remember, it is pretty much only white folks who count deaths/bodies in Africa.  Scare the white folks off and the bodies don't get counted.  And the white folks seem plenty scared of Liberia these days.

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Of-America-Confronts-Africa/dp/0465001882

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #485 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:41 AM »
Cows don't buy fake documents or sneak across borders to get out of a hot zone. Nor would one be motivated to do whatever it takes to get a kid treated.

What's a pass the snuff fake passport going for in Liberia these days? I'm guess than your average Liberian can shake.

And again we circle back to the fact that just because someone might through doesn't mean it won't stop a fair chunk.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #486 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:32 AM »

That's goatist!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #487 on: October 20, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
The family of Duncan in Dallas has passed the 21 day incubation period.
While I still wonder how long they may have been exposed to waste in the house that might of had viable virus on it.....it would seem they are likely out of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #488 on: October 20, 2014, 11:35:08 AM »
The family of Duncan in Dallas has passed the 21 day incubation period.
While I still wonder how long they may have been exposed to waste in the house that might of had viable virus on it.....it would seem they are likely out of the woods.

Were they ever moved out of the apartment?  How well was the apartment actually sanitized?  Sure, the virus won't survive long out in the open, but how long can it live in a bit of semifluid waste buried in the corner of the carpet or similar.

• friends
« Reply #489 on: October 20, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
They were in the apt for 3 or 4 days with him sick and at least 3 days before they removed tge bedding and such. If anyone shoulda caught it they were the ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #491 on: October 20, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
Went to a DR appointment today, when I checked in they asked if I had been to the Ebola areas of Africa in the past 21 days or in close contact with people that have been there.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #492 on: October 20, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
They were in the apt for 3 or 4 days with him sick and at least 3 days before they removed tge bedding and such. If anyone shoulda caught it they were the ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The length of contact only makes me question the timeline.  Do we really know their last exposure date?

Hopefully the nurses pull through and nobody gets it from that flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #493 on: October 20, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »
Last exposure date I would feel good about is when they left the apt.
They should be outa quarantine now

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #494 on: October 20, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
My question would be how long does the virus last outside the body.  I have heard some don't last long at all, but others can last a day or two. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #495 on: October 20, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »
This one is fragile

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #496 on: October 20, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »
My question would be how long does the virus last outside the body.  I have heard some don't last long at all, but others can last a day or two. 

From the CDC

How long does Ebola live outside the body?

Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.

I read somewhere that Ebola can be viable for 3-4 days in dead people who were infected.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #497 on: October 20, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »
From the CDC

I read somewhere that Ebola can be viable for 3-4 days in dead people who were infected.

The beginning of the Undead.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #498 on: October 20, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »

Cannot remember which scare-the-crap-out-of-you source it was, but somebody has suggested that Ebola can live for several months in the semen/sperm of a man who has had and beaten Ebola.

Anybody want to ask that Doc that beat death if he tested his semen/sperm before he went and celebrated beating death?

And just to add more paranoia - can Ebola live in a woman's eggs?  And if so, would a child born from that fertilized egg be capable of transmitting the virus even if it had developed antibodies during the pregnancy?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #499 on: October 20, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
Cannot remember which scare-the-crap-out-of-you source it was, but somebody has suggested that Ebola can live for several months in the semen/sperm of a man who has had and beaten Ebola.

60 days IIRC.