Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 146297 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #500 on: October 20, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I've been afk and not keeping up with the news. Where are we at infection/death wise in America?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #501 on: October 20, 2014, 07:16:56 PM »
Same place 1 dead came here sick two infected by him sick 100's of thousands terrified and acting foolish. Case in point kids from rawanda forced to stay home from school,in jersey .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #502 on: October 20, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
Went to a DR appointment today, when I checked in they asked if I had been to the Ebola areas of Africa in the past 21 days or in close contact with people that have been there.

Should have answered, "Yep, second to last August this year.  Caught Ebola and died three weeks later.  Now can we get on with my appointment?"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #503 on: October 21, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #505 on: October 21, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »
Rick Perry: From Zero to S**t Wired Tight

Say what you want about Governor Goodhair, he has jumped on ebola with both feet and intends to stomp it to death with his Naconas.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/prognosis/article/Texas-Ebola-plans-from-Gov-Perry-s-task-force-5837052.php

Perry announces procedure for potential future Ebola cases:
Governor Rick Perry announced Tuesday that any future Ebola cases will be treated at UTMB Galveston or at Methodist Richardson. Patients in Richardson would see UT Southwestern doctors and have their lab work done at Parkland's lab. WFAA's Janet St. James also reports that Parkland will provide a 50-person unit for quick Ebola response. Perry says the new setups will be ready in the next 24 hours. The new facilities are part of a plan by the newly formed Texas Task Force on Infectious Diseases, led by Dr. Brett Giroir(1).

• UT Southwestern Medical Center is contributing the expertise of physicians experienced in infectious disease, critical care and other specialties, and some nursing professionals as staffing requires.

• Methodist Health System is allowing the use of an entire floor of the Methodist Campus for Continuing Care in Richardson, including an ICU wing well suited for the care of infectious disease patients. They will provide some modifications for the critical steps of decontamination, laboratory equipment and other dedicated personnel for IT and biomedical support. Ebola and/or other infectious disease patients can be safely isolated

• Parkland Hospital has already begun transferring critical equipment such as personal protective equipment, IV fluids and laboratory supplies to the Methodist facility. In addition, Parkland will provide nurses, pharmacists, respiratory therapists and lab technicians.

More at the linky.

This makes sense, all the way around.

Methodist Richardson is one of the smaller hospitals both in the Methodist system and in N Texas.  18 bed ER & 125 beds elsewhere.  If they have to shut everything else down to service ebola patients and collateral damage, it won't take out a huge chunk of the N Texas medical infrastructure like what happened at Presby Dallas.  Damn good idea.

UTSW docs & nurses work at Parkland, the monster county hospital renowned for trauma surgery and all that jazz.  Yes, some are baby docs, but the older docs there have beau coup experience.

Parkland has both large trauma and medicine (non-trauma) ICUs and their ICU trauma step-down is equivalent to most hospital's ICU.  Parkland also has deep resources in all the other aspects of hospital/health care.

I am not familiar with UTMB Galveston, but I assume it is the big public hospital down there south on the Gulf coast.

Smart folk have put some serious thought into this.  My respect for Perry gone up a few notches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ojTKkfgvwvU#t=12

(1) Not a political fixer.  CEO of Texas A&M Health Science Center.  As a doc he specialized in infectious diseases.  Also worked for mf-ing DARPA.  Perry chose a no-s**t Top Man to run his Task Force on Infectious Disease Preparedness and Response.  BHO, were he educable, could learn something from this.  Once again Texas A&M will save the world.  Or at least keep it from sliding into a New Dark Age.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #506 on: October 22, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »
Wait a governor actually governing? Un possible

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #507 on: October 22, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
Rick Perry: From Zero to S**t Wired Tight

Say what you want about Governor Goodhair, he has jumped on ebola with both feet and intends to stomp it to death with his Naconas.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/prognosis/article/Texas-Ebola-plans-from-Gov-Perry-s-task-force-5837052.php

More at the linky.

This makes sense, all the way around.

Methodist Richardson is one of the smaller hospitals both in the Methodist system and in N Texas.  18 bed ER & 125 beds elsewhere.  If they have to shut everything else down to service ebola patients and collateral damage, it won't take out a huge chunk of the N Texas medical infrastructure like what happened at Presby Dallas.  Damn good idea.

UTSW docs & nurses work at Parkland, the monster county hospital renowned for trauma surgery and all that jazz.  Yes, some are baby docs, but the older docs there have beau coup experience.

Parkland has both large trauma and medicine (non-trauma) ICUs and their ICU trauma step-down is equivalent to most hospital's ICU.  Parkland also has deep resources in all the other aspects of hospital/health care.

I am not familiar with UTMB Galveston, but I assume it is the big public hospital down there south on the Gulf coast.

Smart folk have put some serious thought into this.  My respect for Perry gone up a few notches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ojTKkfgvwvU#t=12

(1) Not a political fixer.  CEO of Texas A&M Health Science Center.  As a doc he specialized in infectious diseases.  Also worked for mf-ing DARPA.  Perry chose a no-s**t Top Man to run his Task Force on Infectious Disease Preparedness and Response.  BHO, were he educable, could learn something from this.  Once again Texas A&M will save the world.  Or at least keep it from sliding into a New Dark Age.

So...in the what, two months since patient 0, Gov. Perry identified the need to fix a potential problem, put someone in charge of fixing the problem who knows about said problem, and then put forth a common sense solution on fixing the problem?  and people wonder why I support secession. 

My prediction?  Election cycle and other crisis and we'll forget all about Ebola. We'll never hear any sort of solution for future outbreaks from the fed.gov Ebloa Czar. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #508 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
So...in the what, two months since patient 0,

Duncan was admitted to the hospital 9-28, and Ebola confirmed on 9-30.  Nurse Pham got sick on 10-10, so this was only 22 days after the confirmation of Patient Zero, and just 11 days after the first evidence of anyone becoming infected in the US.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #509 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
Wearing my hospital administration hat for a moment, I wonder how this is being paid for by the hospitals in Texas who are participating in Governor Perry's response.  Is the state kicking in some money, or are the hospitals going to eat the cost of these preparations that may never be used? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #510 on: October 22, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
Wearing my hospital administration hat for a moment, I wonder how this is being paid for by the hospitals in Texas who are participating in Governor Perry's response.  Is the state kicking in some money, or are the hospitals going to eat the cost of these preparations that may never be used?

First one to speak up about the price gets the bill.  Thanks for your contribution  :P

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #512 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
Second nurses family says she's ebola free. No confirmation

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #513 on: October 23, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
Oh noez, moars ebolaz!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/chi-ebola-20141023-story.html#page=1

Those new protocols sure are working well, aren't they?

Guess he arrived here in "pre-ebopla" state and only became "ebolazized" after he got to his apartment.

And can I interest you in some oceanfront property in New Mexico?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #514 on: October 24, 2014, 08:06:16 AM »
And now another doctor who was in Africa, treating Ebola patients, has been confirmed to be infected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/nyregion/craig-spencer-is-tested-for-ebola-virus-at-bellevue-hospital-in-new-york-city.html

What is it with doctors who don't understand the need for quarantine after potential exposure?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #515 on: October 24, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »
And now another doctor who was in Africa, treating Ebola patients, has been confirmed to be infected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/nyregion/craig-spencer-is-tested-for-ebola-virus-at-bellevue-hospital-in-new-york-city.html

What is it with doctors who don't understand the need for quarantine after potential exposure?

Would that be quarantine immediately after getting away from the ebola patient treatment area, or quarantine after arriving on a flight from Ebolaland to some Europrean country for a few days lay-over, or quarantine after you get home and have been feeling queasy and such-like for three days?

We wouldn't want anybody to go into premature quarantine, would we?

:facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #516 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubris
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #517 on: October 24, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #518 on: October 24, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
But we have the 2 nurses cleared one released today

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #519 on: October 24, 2014, 02:09:17 PM »
Would that be quarantine immediately after getting away from the ebola patient treatment area, or quarantine after arriving on a flight from Ebolaland to some Europrean country for a few days lay-over, or quarantine after you get home and have been feeling queasy and such-like for three days?

We wouldn't want anybody to go into premature quarantine, would we?

What's your idea of "premature" quarantine? The purpose of quarantine is to keep ill or potentially-ill people separated from non-exposed people so more people won't be infected with whatever the disease du jour is. How would quarantine immediately following their last contact with exposed or potentially exposed patients in any way be "premature"? Ideally, then those who choose to treat Ebola patients in Africa should be quarantined for 21 days before being allowed to leave Africa.

If we're going to insist on allowing them to travel to the U.S., there should be a quarantine facility at or near each airport of entry, and all such travelers should be quarantined there. Heck, we quarantine animals entering from other countries -- aren't the lives of people more valuable than the lives of animals? But, allowing them to travel risks exposing unknown numbers (but at least in the hundreds) of people before initiating quarantine. That just doesn't make sense to me.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »
Hawkmoon -

Sorry I left off the snark tag.  Didn't mean to make anybody think I was serious about "premature" quarantine.

But in response to your question - can you say "Ellis Island"?  They processed thousands of people per day through there with the most rudimentary of physical exams, but history shows they did a good job of stopping diseases like TB, measles, typhoid/cholera from landing.  According to family lore my great-grandfather was "sequestered" for 2 weeks along with everybody else in his steerage compartment because they thought one little kid had TB.

Preferrably I would like to see holding cells where folks leaving the area where Ebola patients are being treated get to stay for the 21-day waiting game.  Cells because it keeps them from popping out to get some take-out food, and close to the treatment area/facility because in case they show symptoms/test positive they don't have far to go to get treated.

stay safe.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »
I was hoping that was sarcasm, but I wasn't sure.

Breaking news: The governors of NY and NJ are doing what the federal government should be doing:http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/10/24/new-york-new-jersey-set-up-mandatory-quarantine-requirement-amid-ebola-threat/

Mandatory quarantine. The govs are right -- "voluntary" quarantine is an oxymoron, and when medical doctors themselves don't honor it, then it's appropriate to make it mandatory.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #522 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14:46 AM »
The governors of NY and NJ have instituted a policy of mandatory quarantine for any health workers returning to CONUS after working with Ebola patients. The first such person affected, a nurse, is suing because her "human" (not civil) rights have been violated (she claims).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/nyregion/as-states-look-to-halt-ebola-restrictions-prompt-a-debate.html

Donna E. Lieberman, the executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said the most restrictive protocols are far too broad.

“The current order is sweeping in individuals who are asymptomatic and who may never develop symptoms,” Ms. Lieberman said. “I think there is a serious question as to whether the governor has the authority to impose the broad quarantine that he has imposed,” she added.

Reality check, madam. It's not a "broad" quarantine, it's a VERY narrowly-targeted quarantine.

“This is, I think, pushing the envelope quite a bit and is highly counterproductive,” Lawrence O. Gostin, a professor of global health law at Georgetown University, said. “I can’t think of a situation where any jurisdiction in the United States in modern times has simply quarantined a whole class of people.”

I fail to see how isolating those people who may become symptomatic within 21 days for those 21 days, in order to prevent them from going out for a night on the town on Day 20 and potentially infecting everyone they come in contact with, is "counterproductive." And, again, this is not quarantining "a whole class of people." It's quarantining a very tiny group of people, whose colleagues have proven rather dramatically that they cannot be trusted to self-quarantine for the time necessary. In fact, I saw a quote from a returning doctor who couldn't understand why he shouldn't go right back to work as a doctor in a hospital during that three-week incubation period.

What is the matter with these people?

• friends
« Reply #523 on: October 27, 2014, 12:44:32 AM »
This might help see what they are pissed about, but maybe not.
It is a states right deal. The states can decide
http://perdidostreetschool.blogspot.com/2014/10/governor-christie-falsely-claims-nurse.html

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #524 on: October 27, 2014, 02:04:20 AM »
This might help see what they are pissed about, but maybe not.
It is a states right deal. The states can decide
http://perdidostreetschool.blogspot.com/2014/10/governor-christie-falsely-claims-nurse.html

Yeah, maybe not.

So she's not symptomatic today. Doesn't mean squat. If ("IF") she was exposed, there's no telling exactly when it might have happened, so there's no way to predict when she might become symptomatic and contagious. She should no this -- she's a freakin' NURSE. Don't they teach nurses and doctors anything any more?