Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 146293 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #550 on: October 28, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »
One thing he didn't expound on that I have read recently is the danger that ebola will find a suitable host species in North America. We have all kinds of bats in this country, for example.

That quarantine is part of making sure we don't have it spread to a "reservoir" in this country like it is in Africa (and all the way to Bangladesh, according to that article.)

Exactly.  And the enviroweenies would never let us decimate an animal population intentionally to clear such a problem...at least not until it reached the point where we would actually have to try for total extinction of a species.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #551 on: October 28, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
We, sadly, may not have to worry about bats becoming a Ebola vector.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_nose_syndrome
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #552 on: October 29, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »
The bat vector thing is pretty far-fetched. We'd have to somehow infect bats, then eat something that got infected by eating infected bats since unlike West Africa I'm pretty sure that we don't consider bats tasty.

More worried about the barking moonbat vectors. What exactly is to be gained by the aggressive behavior of nurse Hickox? You'd think health workers would set the example and quarantine themselves.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #553 on: October 29, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »
The bat vector thing is pretty far-fetched. We'd have to somehow infect bats, then eat something that got infected by eating infected bats since unlike West Africa I'm pretty sure that we don't consider bats tasty.

Bats were an example. As the virus IS NOT prevalent on the North American continent, we can't know what animals it might infect.

For a scarier (but less likely) example: what if it took a liking to the white-tailed deer? Or bears? Or Coyotes? (As I recall, dogs can be carriers, but are unaffected by the virus.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #554 on: October 29, 2014, 10:35:43 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/29/new-york-city-doctor-with-ebola-reportedly-lied-about-his-movements-in-city/

Oh, hey. Medical professional initially lied about his actions while symptomatic.

That's sure going to instill confidence.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #555 on: October 29, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/197434/

OUR BRAVE “PUBLIC HEALTH” PEOPLE SEEM KINDA SELFISH: Ebola Nurse In Maine Says She Won’t Follow Home Quarantine Rules. Really setting an example there, honey.

Or maybe she’s just following this example: Report: ‘Hero’ Ebola doctor lied to the NYPD; Said he’d ‘self quarantined.’ Putz.

Funny, the public health crowd loves telling others what to do, but doesn’t seem so big on following instructions itself. This does not inspire confidence, and will make it much harder to get ordinary Americans to comply with public health measures in the future.

Meanwhile, such behavior just strengthens the case for mandatory quarantines for everyone entering the country from Ebola areas. We obviously can’t trust their professionalism and willingness to engage in self-sacrifice — at least, unless they’re from Tennessee.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #556 on: October 29, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
For a scarier (but less likely) example: what if it took a liking to the white-tailed deer? Or bears? Or Coyotes? (As I recall, dogs can be carriers, but are unaffected by the virus.)

How long can it live in a mosquito or tick's belly?  Doesn't have to be able to affect an insect if it's being carried by blood transfusions.  Also raises the question of whether direct blood transfer like that could transmit it earlier than onset of symptoms.

That would also raise the possibility of an insect vector between humans and a reservoir species that we otherwise don't contact in ways conducive to transmission.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #557 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »
Here's why we shouldn't even allow people to travel from affected countries to the U.S. until they have gone through a 21-day quarantine over there:

http://www.newser.com/story/197882/nurse-wont-obey-maine-quarantine.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_topnews

Nurse Kaci Hickox has gone from forced quarantine in New Jersey to "voluntary" quarantine in Maine—but it may not be voluntary for long. Her lawyer tells the Bangor Daily News that she agreed not to go out in public for two days, but "she doesn't want to agree to continue to be confined to a residence beyond the two days."

So here's yet another supposedly trained health care professional who either doesn't understand the fundamental principal of "quarantine," or who joins the growing army of people who simply don't think rules should apply to them. My vote would be to put her on a private charter plane and send her back over to Africa.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #558 on: October 29, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
Here's the sort of tripe medical professionals are writing: http://time.com/3546125/ebola-quarantine-chris-christie-kaci-hickox/

If he tried really hard, he might could have squeezed in a few more drippy emotional-baggage words.  (I get it that he doesn't like Christie, but that's no excuse)
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »
So self monitoring and self- quarantine includes going out to dinner, trapesing around NYC on the Subway, going for a run, and then to a bowling alley?

I pray that no one gets Ebola from this *expletive deleted*tard who ABSOLUTELY KNOWS BETTER.   

But if they want to stop a panic and the possible spread of the disease, then they need to quarantine folks.   You don't like it, tough *expletive deleted*it.  Public Health policy.   

If she wants to sue, and I'm the state's attorney, I'd let EVERY judge know that I will put her on the witness stand, RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. 

Your move. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #560 on: October 29, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »
Bats were an example. As the virus IS NOT prevalent on the North American continent, we can't know what animals it might infect.

Let me know when a symptomatic ebola patient gets eaten by a bear, then I'll worry about that. Pretty sure far fetched is about the right description.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #561 on: October 29, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
As a former USAMRIID guy I read says, voluntary quarantines are a joke. I'm not terribly worried about ebola unless something changes, but that nurse and that doctor should be under house arrest with shoot on sight orders for if they try to sneak out. Quarantine of infectious disease has always been one of the most useful and legitimate things a .gov can do.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #562 on: October 29, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
...unless you want to do an amnesty for all the illegal aliens after the election...  ;/ ;/ :mad: :mad:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #563 on: October 30, 2014, 07:03:29 AM »
Let me know when a symptomatic ebola patient gets eaten by a bear, then I'll worry about that. Pretty sure far fetched is about the right description.

Or maybe just bitten by a coyote while on a jog. Or intercepted by an insect vector not known in Africa. Or maybe throws up on some plants while out jogging eaten soon after by a deer.

IF we had quarantines going, the above (except maybe the insect vector) would not be at all likely.  Ebola doc and Typhoid Hicox are proving these may be valid concerns.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #564 on: October 30, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »
The Associated Press writes:

"Police were monitoring her movements and public interactions but couldn't detain her without a court order signed by a judge.
"Hickox contends there's no need for quarantine because she's showing no symptoms. She's also tested negative for the deadly disease.
" 'I really hope that we can work things out amicably and continue to negotiate,' she said Thursday morning while riding on a dirt trail."
After returning to the U.S. over the weekend, she blasted New Jersey officials for confining her. When they discharged her earlier this week, she returned to Maine, where she was asked to self-quarantine.

In television interviews Wednesday, she vowed not to stick to guidelines.

In a statement on Thursday, the president of the American Nurses Association, Pamela Cipriano, defended Hickox, saying that "based on the best available scientific evidence" she "poses no public threat" and should not be confined to her home.

"ANA supports a policy of appropriate monitoring for health care workers who have cared for or been in contact with patients with Ebola. Those who are not exhibiting symptoms of illness consistent with Ebola do not require quarantine," Cipriano said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #565 on: October 30, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
Here's the sort of tripe medical professionals are writing: http://time.com/3546125/ebola-quarantine-chris-christie-kaci-hickox/

He's not a medical professional -- he's a Ph.D. not an M.D. His field is medical ethics, not medicine. I think his thesis should be reviewed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #566 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
The Associated Press writes:

"Police were monitoring her movements and public interactions but couldn't detain her without a court order signed by a judge.
"Hickox contends there's no need for quarantine because she's showing no symptoms. She's also tested negative for the deadly disease.
" 'I really hope that we can work things out amicably and continue to negotiate,' she said Thursday morning while riding on a dirt trail."
After returning to the U.S. over the weekend, she blasted New Jersey officials for confining her. When they discharged her earlier this week, she returned to Maine, where she was asked to self-quarantine.

In television interviews Wednesday, she vowed not to stick to guidelines.

In a statement on Thursday, the president of the American Nurses Association, Pamela Cipriano, defended Hickox, saying that "based on the best available scientific evidence" she "poses no public threat" and should not be confined to her home.

"ANA supports a policy of appropriate monitoring for health care workers who have cared for or been in contact with patients with Ebola. Those who are not exhibiting symptoms of illness consistent with Ebola do not require quarantine," Cipriano said.

I don't give a *expletive deleted*ck how special of a snowflake she thinks she is, that *expletive deleted*ing idiot needs to be forcibly quarantined.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #567 on: October 30, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
Those pesky laws get in the way .  They need a court order . Haven't got one

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #568 on: October 30, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
Governor of Maine seems to have figured it out too
http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/30/kaci-hickox-and-boyfriend-leave-home-on-bikes/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #569 on: October 30, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »
Nurse Hickox seems to be the healthcare equivalent of Open Carry Texas at Chipotle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
« Reply #570 on: October 30, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
She cause anyone else to bar something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #571 on: October 30, 2014, 10:57:01 PM »
Meanwhile, we have double standards for those animals that are less equal then others....

http://www.thelocal.it/20141029/us-soldiers-ebola-quarantine-in-italy-sparks-alarm

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #572 on: October 30, 2014, 11:13:31 PM »
Wasn't that the military brass that made the call?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #573 on: October 30, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »

For a scarier (but less likely) example: what if it took a liking to the white-tailed deer?

Actually, here in Michigun, much of the deer population has been affected by Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (my brother from another mother) called it "deer ebola". The say it can't affect humans but, what if they are wrong?  ;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #574 on: October 30, 2014, 11:54:48 PM »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.