Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145881 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #625 on: November 03, 2014, 01:09:47 PM »
What part am I supposed to be unhappy about?  The mandatory quarantines?

I'm getting practically giddy over the thought of walling off and quarantining LA County, Cook County, Travis County, etc.

But only if we cut communications until it can be absolutely proven to my satisfaction that Ebola cannot possibly mutate in such a manner as to allow electronic transmission.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #626 on: November 03, 2014, 01:19:07 PM »
I'm getting practically giddy over the thought of walling off and quarantining LA County, Cook County, Travis County, etc.

But only if we cut communications until it can be absolutely proven to my satisfaction that Ebola cannot possibly mutate in such a manner as to allow electronic transmission.

Especially if "communications" is in the military sense: movement, logistics, etc.  Twenty-one days of suspended communications in or out of such places would have quite the salutary effect.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #627 on: November 03, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
I'm going out on a limb to suggest that the typical virus/bacterium has precious little regard for civil liberty as framed in the progression of Western thought on the human condition. I am as rock-ribbed a libertarian as any, in the context of how people should treat other people. Want to argue that a political overreaction shouldn't contravene "settled science"? Knock yourself out. The fact that we have been fortunate in this instance doesn't mean it will ever be so. Our reactions to those future die rolls should not be predicated on one lucky seven.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #628 on: November 03, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
Why is it that when the .gov wants to stick it to us, they ignore all constitutional limitations "out of an abundance of caution" but, when they want to advance their agenda, anyone else espousing caution is dismissed as a panic-stricken wacko?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #629 on: November 03, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
That's a rhetorical question, right?   ;/
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #630 on: November 04, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/articles/for-ebola-survivors-sex-carries-added-risk-1415061018

An article describing an anecdotal case of possible Ebola transmission through sexual contact.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #631 on: November 04, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/articles/for-ebola-survivors-sex-carries-added-risk-1415061018

An article describing an anecdotal case of possible Ebola transmission through sexual contact.

WSJ is asking me to subscribe to get the full story, but here is another story on it.

First case I've heard of a woman recovered from Ebola possibly passing it on sexually, but I've heard it can hang out in seminal fluid for as long as seven weeks.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #632 on: November 04, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »

Can't read the story without logging in. Summary?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #633 on: November 04, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
WSJ is asking me to subscribe to get the full story, but here is another story on it.

That one wants me to subscribe, too.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #634 on: November 11, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/as-ebola-declines-in-liberia-health-officials-reassess-response-plans/2014/11/03/88126a4c-6365-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html

MONROVIA, Liberia — The rate of new Ebola infections here has declined so sharply in recent weeks that even some of the busiest treatment facilities are now only half-full and officials are reassessing the scale of the response needed to quell the epidemic.

Ebola is losing, and the US Army hasn't even deployed yet.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #636 on: November 11, 2014, 01:43:42 AM »
Has ever gotten worse?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re:
« Reply #637 on: November 11, 2014, 07:10:53 AM »
Has ever gotten worse?

It's just moving on to more fertile ground.  After killing off everyone it could and being left with folks who have some level of immunity, it wised up and shifted locations.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #639 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »
And a sad but true
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lAz-F1QnyCk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #640 on: November 12, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/12/duncans-family-reaches-resolution-with-hospital/18898847/

So the hospital, after providing hundreds of thousands of dollars (my estimate) in care to a patient and not getting paid for it (Mr. Duncan had no insurance, was not eligible for the ACA and the Liberian Embassy refused to pay the bill), now has the privilege of having to pay a substantial malpractice settlement to boot.  I bet the hospital leadership curses the day Mr. Duncan walked into the Emergency Department.  All that money has to come from somewhere, so remember this when you get your next medical bill.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #641 on: November 12, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/12/duncans-family-reaches-resolution-with-hospital/18898847/

So the hospital, after providing hundreds of thousands of dollars (my estimate) in care to a patient and not getting paid for it (Mr. Duncan had no insurance, was not eligible for the ACA and the Liberian Embassy refused to pay the bill), now has the privilege of having to pay a substantial malpractice settlement to boot.  I bet the hospital leadership curses the day Mr. Duncan walked into the Emergency Department.  All that money has to come from somewhere, so remember this when you get your next medical bill.

Pile on the lost revenue from paying patients and potential insurance payments who went elsewhere during the media blitz, and the hole is even larger.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #642 on: November 12, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »

These looters deserve the firing squad. THEY knew he had Ebola and are now PROFITING from it!?

This is exactly the kind of crap that makes people hate lawyers with a white-hot passion.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #643 on: November 13, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »
These looters deserve the firing squad. THEY knew he had Ebola and are now PROFITING from it!?

This is exactly the kind of crap that makes people hate lawyers and both domestic and foreign-born members of the FSA with a white-hot passion.

Tile crawlers generally need a turd to latch on to.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
Tile crawlers generally need a turd to latch on to.

Word. You don't get flies without a malodorous pile of waste.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #645 on: November 13, 2014, 12:43:13 PM »
Millcreek, maybe you can weigh in here- on the rumor that the hospital Duncan was in is near empty?

• friends
« Reply #646 on: November 13, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »
They had quite a few workers under observation. How many folks would a place like that employ? Could they handle losing 150 plus employees for 21 days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #647 on: November 13, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »
What I heard was that the patient census was way down.

• friends
« Reply #648 on: November 13, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »
I read that too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #649 on: November 13, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »
Millcreek, maybe you can weigh in here- on the rumor that the hospital Duncan was in is near empty?

It was, but it has since largely recovered to the typical pre-Duncan levels, but that hospital has not been doing so hot for a while now.  A hospital of that size (almost 900 beds) probably has around 5000 employees.