Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145889 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #650 on: November 14, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
It was, but it has since largely recovered to the typical pre-Duncan levels, but that hospital has not been doing so hot for a while now.  A hospital of that size (almost 900 beds) probably has around 5000 employees.

So that would be 200-300 actual medical staff and the rest administration types, right?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #651 on: November 15, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »
So that would be 200-300 actual medical staff and the rest administration types, right?

I am not sure what you mean. To me, 'medical staff' means physicians with privileges at the hospital.  The largest category of employees at any hospital is going to be the nursing staff.  Although it varies according to hospital size, a good rule of thumb is that about 60% of all hospital employees are nurses.  Other clinical staff, support staff and administration types make up the other 40%. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #652 on: November 15, 2014, 12:44:39 PM »
As a poor benighted layman I made the error of considering the nursing contingent as part of "medical staff".

But, just be sure I was a being facetious and poking a little fun at the chronic shortage of nursing staff in most hospitals.

if it got  your knickers in a twist so much the better.

=D

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:47:48 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #653 on: November 15, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
As a poor benighted layman I made the error of considering the nursing contingent as part of "medical staff".

But, just be sure I was a being facetious and poking a little fun at the chronic shortage of nursing staff in most hospitals.

if it got  your knickers in a twist so much the better.

=D

Wow, I thought you were asking a serious question and I tried to give you a helpful answer.  No good deed goes unpunished, I suppose.  And yes, for someone who works in healthcare administration, 'medical staff' is a term of art that has a specific meaning.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #654 on: November 15, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
Reading about this latest physician they brought back makes me think the perfect record for curing people who were brought to the US for treatment* may get a ding in it.

*Mr Duncan does not count, he brought himself.

bob

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #655 on: November 17, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
Well, that didn't take long.  =( 

I wonder if he tried hiding or ignoring the symptoms until he just couldn't anymore? It is a also a good reminder that this disease does have a fairly high mortality rate and scooting off to a first world country will not ensure your survival.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #656 on: November 17, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
Well, that didn't take long.  =(  

I wonder if he tried hiding or ignoring the symptoms until he just couldn't anymore? It is a also a good reminder that this disease does have a fairly high mortality rate and scooting off to a first world country will not ensure your survival.

bob

No, he was tested after suspected exposure and early symptoms. The test came back negative. Ten days later he still had symptoms so he was tested again -- result was positive. By then it was too late.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #657 on: November 18, 2014, 01:44:59 AM »
But we've been told."the test " is perfect!

My inner evil person is still miffed that Nurse Snowflake didn't come down with it.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #659 on: November 18, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
Well that adds a whole new dimension.

Indian TSA  agents take sperm samples?
That ebola could make it to India would be a disaster.Glad the guy made it.I can't help but be bemusedly horrified thinking about how the Indians acquired that sample though. >:D
jeff w

I like onions!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #660 on: November 19, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »
Indian TSA  agents take sperm samples?

That one does raise some questions.  I guess it's possible that, under the circumstances, they isolated him on arrival to test every fluid they could get out of him.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #661 on: November 23, 2014, 07:12:57 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/world/africa/ebola-spread-has-slowed-in-liberia-cdc-says.html

Liberia and allies restrain Ebola in Liberia.

There is still no Ebola pandemic in the United States.

Western Civilization is victorious once again, as I predicted.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #664 on: November 28, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »
Meanwhile, if you wear a green suit and went to Ebolaland to build hospitals and other infrastructure, but not actually, you know, work with Ebola patients, you get to cool your heels for 21 days on my old stomping grounds.  Well, not precisely.  While I was stationed in Baumholder on HD Smith Barracks, the buildings they are using to quarantine the troops were the old 293rd and later 40th Engineer Battalion barracks.  Funny that they are using a fest-tent for the DFAC when there's one within the battalion area.  I think the fence is a nice touch.

http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/baumholder-quarantine-site-ready-for-troops-returning-from-ebola-mission-1.314239

http://www.stripes.com/news/us-troops-return-from-ebola-related-mission-for-monitoring-in-germany-1.315882
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:32:26 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #665 on: February 16, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #666 on: February 16, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
Oh no it didn't disappear. Don't you know Atkinson the " investigative journalist" is peddling the story that there are 1400 secret cases being monitored in the us. Or at least the wnd infowars crowd is claiming it and using her as their source

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #667 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:14 PM »
Has anybody seen my shocked face?  I know I had it here somewhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/world/africa/sierra-leone-loses-track-of-millions-in-ebola-funds.html?ref=science&_r=1

And if that's not enough, there's always this http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/health/ebola-victims-still-infectious-a-week-after-death-scientists-find.html?ref=science to make you feel all warm and fuzzy (or are you running a fever?) about the whole thing.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #668 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:15 PM »
Has anybody seen my shocked face?  I know I had it here somewhere.

Is this it?  ==(8-O
"It's good, though..."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #669 on: February 17, 2015, 10:50:33 PM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #670 on: February 18, 2015, 07:02:11 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/world/africa/ebola-spread-has-slowed-in-liberia-cdc-says.html

Liberia and allies restrain Ebola in Liberia.

There is still no Ebola pandemic in the United States.

Western Civilization is victorious once again, as I predicted.

Didn't pretty much everybody predict that?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #671 on: February 18, 2015, 07:12:54 AM »
Er no. Much end of the worldism. In fact the Atkinson 1400 secret ebola cases joke still circulates

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #672 on: February 18, 2015, 07:56:38 AM »
It's too bad Boko Haram didn't have an outbreak.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #673 on: February 18, 2015, 08:33:36 AM »
Well, fine. Not everybody. Wasn't the EBOLA-ZOMBIE-TEOTWAWKI-OHTHENOES!!!11 always a minority viewpoint? It ain't like MicroBalrog was some lone prophet in the wilderness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #674 on: February 18, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
The ebola noise was pretty broad spectrum