Author Topic: Healing the rift between police and the public  (Read 17874 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re:
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2014, 03:01:22 PM »
So enforce existing laws, instead of adding redundant new laws that have unintended consequences.

That's not the American way.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Healing the rift between police and the public
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2014, 03:03:03 PM »
That would make sense. Neither of us should hold our breath.
I would like to see a reduction in revenge accusations. And some serious slap down for the offenders. Sadly the wrongly accused just want it to go away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »

Serious question: have any of you people actually worked with rape victims?

I have.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
Me too along with a couple who recanted. In cases of legitimate mental illness i can forgive it. When it's just evil and revenge? Not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
I have.

In your experience, would a (redundant) law against false reports specifically calling out rape have deterred those who make false reports? Would it have had a chilling effect on the legitimate victims?

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
In one it would not have made a difference.

The other ones. I doubt it.  There were already punishments for swearing out a false statement.

All the victims had Article 134 (False Swearing) explained to them before they signed their Sworn Statements.  They signed.  The perps were tried and convicted.  Rape kits generally make for good cases and Military Judges don't allow the victim to be put on trial.  (At least they didn't.)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
I might be in favor of a law that allowed a false accuser to be jailed or fined as long or as much as the victim was hurt.  However, I can't see if working unless their was hard evidence.  That would be very difficult unless the accuser confessed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
I might be in favor of a law that allowed a false accuser to be jailed or fined as long or as much as the victim was hurt.  However, I can't see if working unless their was hard evidence.  That would be very difficult unless the accuser confessed. 

Really, all that would be needed is changing the sentencing guidelines on existing false reporting laws. But I would think that a creative DA could find all sorts of existing laws to charge someone with for a genuine, provable false report. Adding another law duplicating existing ones wouldn't do anything.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
Really, all that would be needed is changing the sentencing guidelines on existing false reporting laws. But I would think that a creative DA could find all sorts of existing laws to charge someone with for a genuine, provable false report. Adding another law duplicating existing ones wouldn't do anything.

This; what we need is precedent in the form of a bunch of DAs prosecuting on every absolutely-cannot-be-true statement.  Especially in single-party recording states, where the victim might well have solid proof, this would help to make filing a false report way too risky for most, and make it more likely that the rest will be too busy serving their sentences to file any more.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read. I truly feel sorry for any women unfortunate enough to have you as a part of their life.

By the nature of the crime, rape is exceedingly difficult to prove in the majority of cases. If you hold the explicit threat of jail time up for any woman who reported it, then all you would be doing is legalizing rape as no woman would risk reporting it.

There are already laws for falsifying a police report. Why would you single out rape as a special case to threaten the victim?
:mad:
Told you not to go there.

So you go there.  ;/

It is nowhere near as hard to prove now with the advent of "rape kits" and DNA and other forensic techniques.
And I am not "singling out" rape as a "special case to threaten the victim."
You called what I said stupid.  Well, THAT was stupid, in spades.
Anyone making a false police report alleging a non existant felony with malice aforethought should be prosecuted for the crime it is, rape, murder, bank robbery, what-ever.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »
:mad:
Told you not to go there.

So you go there.  ;/

It is nowhere near as hard to prove now with the advent of "rape kits" and DNA and other forensic techniques.
And I am not "singling out" rape as a "special case to threaten the victim."
You called what I said stupid.  Well, THAT was stupid, in spades.
Anyone making a false police report alleging a non existant felony with malice aforethought should be prosecuted for the crime it is, rape, murder, bank robbery, what-ever.

"Told you not to go there." 1: where did you tell me that? 2: Oh teh noes, sumdood on APS told me not to go there!!!  ;/
Rape kits can prove you had sex, maybe even rough sex. Can't prove consent wasn't given. Lot of folks are into rough sex.
The post I quoted was singling out rape, you then responded agreeing with the post I had quoted which singled out rape. Ergo, you were singling out rape.
"I know you are but what am I" wasn't clever in grade school, and it's still a poor argument.
We currently have false reporting laws, and a prosecutor could easily charge the person with lots of other things as well. A new law that the prosecutor isn't enforcing will accomplish nothing.
Rape is a special case as merely proving that the act happened does not prove the crime. You prove that X robbed a bank, and you're done. But for rape, you need to prove not only that X had sex with Y, but that Y either did not or was not able to consent.

• friends
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »
And false rape claims are done at such a greater number than other false claims that it's particularly problematic as a guy named Brian banks would assure us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »
"Told you not to go there." 1: where did you tell me that? 2: Oh teh noes, sumdood on APS told me not to go there!!!  ;/
Rape kits can prove you had sex, maybe even rough sex. Can't prove consent wasn't given. Lot of folks are into rough sex.
The post I quoted was singling out rape, you then responded agreeing with the post I had quoted which singled out rape. Ergo, you were singling out rape.
"I know you are but what am I" wasn't clever in grade school, and it's still a poor argument.
We currently have false reporting laws, and a prosecutor could easily charge the person with lots of other things as well. A new law that the prosecutor isn't enforcing will accomplish nothing.
Rape is a special case as merely proving that the act happened does not prove the crime. You prove that X robbed a bank, and you're done. But for rape, you need to prove not only that X had sex with Y, but that Y either did not or was not able to consent.
Did I ever claim a new law was needed?   I thought we HAD false reporting laws.
"We currently have false reporting laws." ~~ Balog.
See, even you agree!  [tinfoil] [popcorn]
Rape is certainly a nasty case but I don't see it as unusualy special.  Murder is far worse....but one rarely has the victim's testimony to go on ....   [popcorn]

The point is, whatever "ergos" are involved (it's probably not a good idea to construct a sylligism from internet twaddle) I was not really intending to treat rape as "special" despite your feelings it is.
All felonies should (ideally [and we're NOT in an ideal world, I know]) be treated similarly.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero