Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 388159 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #1950 on: March 18, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
Up to $2.799 here -- it seems to have gone up about 10 cents per week since Biden took office. Since COVID-19 and self-isolation, I don't drive much any more. I filled up my Cherokee yesterday for the first time in several weeks. Sticker shock! The fill-up cost me $46. I haven't spent more than $30 for a fill-up since Trump took office.

Sounds familiar.  We are at about 2.75 here.  I filled up my Jeep Patriot yesterday near the VA hospital I go to at $2.99 and it cost me $34.05 because my tank is smaller than a Cherokee.  At this rate it will cost more to get to and from Az (1600 miles one way) than what it will cost to be there.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1951 on: March 18, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »
So how to blame Trump? You know they will figure out a way.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1952 on: March 18, 2021, 01:17:12 PM »
Filled up for $2.679 this morning.
Thanks Joe!
 :mad:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1953 on: March 18, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »
The price jump isn't Joe... yet.

Oil prices have been slowly rising since they bottomed out last April. The overall economy never quite crapped out the way it was expected it would in the face of the Kung Flu, and now that vaccines have been released, there's more anticipation that life is going to be getting back to a more normal footing sooner rather than later, and that's driving expectations that oil usage is going to really start to spike as people start to commute back and forth to work and travel again.

It remains to be seen just how badly Joe is going to crush oil production in the US. And that's where it could get REALLY real price wise.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #1954 on: March 18, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »
About a week ago, prices in this area of IL-ANNOY just east of St. Louis rose almost $0.40/gal to $2.999.  :O
Two days afterwards, there was a news story that we might see prices at $3/gal by April.
  ;/

Two days after posting this, most of the stations in this area jumped to $3.099 but have since dropped back to $3.059 - 3.079.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1955 on: March 18, 2021, 03:58:44 PM »
A week ago it was $2.83.  I filled up yesterday at $2.55.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1956 on: March 18, 2021, 09:11:29 PM »
The price jump isn't Joe... yet.

Oil prices have been slowly rising since they bottomed out last April. The overall economy never quite crapped out the way it was expected it would in the face of the Kung Flu, and now that vaccines have been released, there's more anticipation that life is going to be getting back to a more normal footing sooner rather than later, and that's driving expectations that oil usage is going to really start to spike as people start to commute back and forth to work and travel again.

It remains to be seen just how badly Joe is going to crush oil production in the US. And that's where it could get REALLY real price wise.

I know, I'm just being proactive.
 =D
I do have to wonder how much of an effect the Keystone shut down has had on oil futures though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1957 on: March 19, 2021, 06:49:47 AM »
Crude got absolutely crushed yesterday, down over 7% at one point.

Still sitting at $60 a barrel for WTI.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #1958 on: March 19, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »
$2.799 yesterday, here in SW OH/NKY.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1959 on: March 19, 2021, 12:30:56 PM »
Local cheap station here is $3.039 cash for regular.  10 cents a gallon extra to use a card (debit or credit doesn’t matter).

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #1960 on: March 19, 2021, 09:12:57 PM »
Do any of you have stations called "Circle K" near you?  They have a "preferred customer" price that, in this area, is 6 cents lower than their normal price.  They charge the same "normal" price for cash, credit, or debit transactions.  The "preferred customer" price is because they are electronically tied in to your checking account and deduct it directly from there themselves.
BTW - a couple of stations I saw this morning were back to $2.999 while two others (one a Circle K) were at $2.989 and $3.089 and those two were less than 1 mile from each other.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1961 on: March 19, 2021, 10:49:05 PM »
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1962 on: March 19, 2021, 11:43:59 PM »
Yeah we have circle Ks I don’t shop at them very often though so never noticed the preferred customer deal. A local gas station chain does a similar thing. I try to buy all my fuel from my local small town stations it’s usually a little lower than surrounding areas as we are only a few miles from a major fuel terminal.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1963 on: March 20, 2021, 08:25:11 AM »
Ticking ever so much closer to $3 a gallon at the Shell station near my house.

That Exxon station I've talked about in the past, the one with no visible competition for a couple of miles, which never dropped its price from $2.999 the entire time other stations in the area were in the high $1 range?

Well it's very happily running its price up... it's now sitting at $3.499 for regular. I just don't see how you can support a gas station with 8 or 10 pumps and a crappy Exxon convenience store with a business model that's based on customer desperation or stupidity. If it were along a major commuter route or near an interstate that would be one thing, but this is a local commuter route and people know that gas prices are significantly cheaper just a mile or two down the road.

I hardly ever see cars at the pumps there.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1964 on: March 20, 2021, 08:36:45 AM »
If you have a Costco or Sam's Club nearby check out their prices. The price different over a short bit of time depending on how often you fill up will usually more than pay for a membership. I often find their prices to be anywhere from 0.10 to 0.40 cents cheaper.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1965 on: March 20, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »
If you have a Costco or Sam's Club nearby check out their prices. The price different over a short bit of time depending on how often you fill up will usually more than pay for a membership. I often find their prices to be anywhere from 0.10 to 0.40 cents cheaper.

The Costco card also gives you 4% cash back on gas purchases anywhere. I always try to fill up there when I can, but it's a ways from the house, so I only end up hitting it every other tank or so, usually when going there to shop. Currently $3.09 at the local station, $2.93 at Costco.

EDIT: 4%, not 5%.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1966 on: March 20, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
My local Costco is seven miles away and is conveniently located at a freeway interchange.  I try to time things so when I fill up, it is at 0630 on my way to work and the 20 mile cruise on the freeway to the office is good for the MPG figures.  No waiting then.  My wife generally fills up on the weekend during the day and she constantly bitches about the wait at the Costco pumps then.  Somehow the concept of leaving at 0650 rather than 0700 on a work day to fill up seems to escape her.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1967 on: March 20, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »
Ticking ever so much closer to $3 a gallon at the Shell station near my house.

That Exxon station I've talked about in the past, the one with no visible competition for a couple of miles, which never dropped its price from $2.999 the entire time other stations in the area were in the high $1 range?

Well it's very happily running its price up... it's now sitting at $3.499 for regular. I just don't see how you can support a gas station with 8 or 10 pumps and a crappy Exxon convenience store with a business model that's based on customer desperation or stupidity. If it were along a major commuter route or near an interstate that would be one thing, but this is a local commuter route and people know that gas prices are significantly cheaper just a mile or two down the road.

I hardly ever see cars at the pumps there.

Front for money laundering.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1968 on: March 20, 2021, 03:32:30 PM »
Front for money laundering.

Sounds like.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1969 on: March 20, 2021, 04:43:04 PM »
$2.669 but I had to drive over twice as far to get it. The station just west of me was out of no lead only had diesel.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

robear

• friend
« Reply #1970 on: March 21, 2021, 07:51:26 PM »
Paid $2.69 for 93/premium on Friday.  Costco, Webster, Texas.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1971 on: March 21, 2021, 09:49:05 PM »
Put 3/4 tank in the truck this afternoon, cost over $50.  I haven't paid that much in I don't know how long.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1972 on: March 22, 2021, 09:06:14 AM »
We've been in the $2.59 to $2.69 range in this area for about a week now.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1973 on: March 29, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »
$3.07 at the Costco this morning, $3.19 in town.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1974 on: March 29, 2021, 03:34:38 PM »
3.10 on the Illinois side but I paid $2.54 at Costco on the Iowa side a few days ago.
What we have here is failure to communicate.