Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 387107 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #2025 on: May 13, 2021, 07:11:00 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2026 on: May 14, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2027 on: May 14, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2028 on: May 14, 2021, 03:11:41 PM »

Is there a gas shortage in Portlan?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2029 on: May 14, 2021, 04:14:36 PM »
Is there a gas shortage in Portlan?
Don't know, but Mrgunsngear (posted it on instagram) declared the KS47 the official gas station security gun.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2030 on: May 14, 2021, 04:57:10 PM »
https://www.firehouse.com/operations-training/news/21222794/fl-hummer-catches-fire-after-driver-fills-up-several-gas-cans
Citrus County firefighters put out a burning Hummer H2 that caught fire soon after the driver had filled up four 5-gallon gas cans at a Homosassa station.

Looking at the embedded video, do you think the fire started at the gas cans?  I would have thought they would be burned up.  Maybe they put it out pretty fast.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2031 on: May 14, 2021, 07:43:14 PM »
Looking at the picture, my first thought is a fire starting in the engine compartment.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2032 on: May 14, 2021, 11:07:32 PM »
Just got gas at a station near my house. It was out this morning, but this afternoon when I passed there was a tanker there.

Line wasn't bad, but the damned pumps were trickling fuel. Took me nearly 10 minutes to get 10 gallons.

People were doing some stupid *expletive deleted*it, too. One idiot was filling a bunch of individual disposable water bottles, no bigger than 1 quart. He was mostly managing to spill gas everywhere.

I'm really shocked that I've not seen someone shoving the nozzle up their ass to colon a few quarts home.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2033 on: May 15, 2021, 12:30:25 AM »
Dang, at least have the presence of mind to go buy some 1 gallon water jugs and use those.

They probably also thought they fill them all the way up.  I don't do that with 5 gallon cans.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2034 on: May 15, 2021, 08:00:47 AM »
We had a local POS in a car with stolen plates get or steal gas in containers in her trunk and the cops tried to pull her over after getting a hit on the plates and she chose to run until she crashed and burned. Being a cockroach of society she’s still alive in a burn center being paid for by us taxpayers of course.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2035 on: May 15, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »
I overheard a woman at PT that was talking about how the line to an empty gas station was blocking the tanker from getting in.  :rofl:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2036 on: May 15, 2021, 09:02:17 AM »
I think I figured out why the pumps were trickling gasoline last night...

I bet the station slowed the pumps down so that people filling unapproved containers like water bottles wouldn't be spraying gas all over themselves, their cars, the ground, the pumps when they tried to fill them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2037 on: May 15, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »
I think I figured out why the pumps were trickling gasoline last night...

I bet the station slowed the pumps down so that people filling unapproved containers like water bottles wouldn't be spraying gas all over themselves, their cars, the ground, the pumps when they tried to fill them.

When the underground tanks are low on gas, the pumps slow down.  I've seen that many times.  Don't ask me why they slow as I have no idea.  Someone else on here may have the answer.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2038 on: May 15, 2021, 10:14:30 AM »
Probably reduces the air they suck up with the gas.

Lots of the internet sources for quality gas cans have been hit hard. Just when I was going to order a few Wavian Jerry cans. I ended up going with some old Czech milsurp cans for $25 each to try out and a couple of the Valpo manufactured Midwest Jerry cans for immediate use.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2039 on: May 15, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Probably reduces the air they suck up with the gas.

Lots of the internet sources for quality gas cans have been hit hard. Just when I was going to order a few Wavian Jerry cans. I ended up going with some old Czech milsurp cans for $25 each to try out and a couple of the Valpo manufactured Midwest Jerry cans for immediate use.
https://majorsurplus.com/20-liter-military-style-fuel-can.html
I think I have one of these.  I had to look up the Wavian.  Those look good.  They show in stock on their website (smaller cans only).
https://wavianusa.com/

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2040 on: May 15, 2021, 01:08:37 PM »
When the underground tanks are low on gas, the pumps slow down.  I've seen that many times.  Don't ask me why they slow as I have no idea.  Someone else on here may have the answer.

I have a good guess; the pumps have pretty good volume but not a lot of head, and when the level in the tanks gets low they have a few more feet to lift the gas and might be approaching their limit on suction head.  (the absolute max is less than 30' lift on the suction side.
"It's good, though..."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #2041 on: May 15, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »
$2.75-2.85 here in central Ky but we are above the pipeline and get our gas from a Marathon tank yard.  No shortage and no lines.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2042 on: May 15, 2021, 03:30:12 PM »
With so many people getting their gas while - or shortly after - a tanker unloads, I wonder how many will end up having engine problems later from all the dirt and condensation that gets stirred up in those underground tanks and pumped into their tanks?  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #2043 on: May 15, 2021, 04:46:32 PM »
With so many people getting their gas while - or shortly after - a tanker unloads, I wonder how many will end up having engine problems later from all the dirt and condensation that gets stirred up in those underground tanks and pumped into their tanks?  :facepalm:

We seem to agree on a lot of issues.  I find myself nodding my head when I read your posts.  Since I am considered as being way out there in my take on things, I have to wonder what your folks think.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2044 on: May 15, 2021, 06:07:39 PM »
I have a good guess; the pumps have pretty good volume but not a lot of head, and when the level in the tanks gets low they have a few more feet to lift the gas and might be approaching their limit on suction head.  (the absolute max is less than 30' lift on the suction side.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2045 on: May 15, 2021, 06:24:02 PM »
That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Actually since gasoline is lighter than water, the theoretical limit is probably a little more than 30 feet.  :-[  I forgot that part.  But I still think that's the reason the pumps slow down; they are working harder to lift the column of liquid up from the tank.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2046 on: May 16, 2021, 07:21:14 AM »

Except the tanks had been filled, literally that afternoon.

I'm also hearing from a bunch of other people who have hit other stations that the pumps have been slowed down. I still think it has more to do with idiots filling water bottles than anything else.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2047 on: May 16, 2021, 07:33:31 AM »
I don't buy the head lift explanation.

Most gas station tanks are no bigger than 24,000 gallons, which is a mean dimension of 9 feet in diameter by about 48 feet long (not all stations have tanks that big, either).

Gas station tanks are buried between 5-10 feet deep, depending on ground conditions, but the average seems to be about 7 feet. So, 7 feet plus 9 feet means the bottom of the tank is 16 feet. And those tanks don't draw off the bottom, they either use dip tubes or side draw with the pipe a few feet from the bottom of tank, so realistically a vertical lift of between 12-14 feet.

There are a couple of different kinds of pumps -- tank submerged impellers and push fuel up, and more standard suction pumps that sit outside the tank and pull fuel out.

Neither style has much trouble dealing with a 14 foot vertical lift. The amount of lift the pump needs to generate also doesn't change. It remains static because the pump and dip tube locations don't change relative to the level of gas in the tank.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2048 on: May 16, 2021, 08:57:16 AM »
I don't buy the head lift explanation.

Most gas station tanks are no bigger than 24,000 gallons, which is a mean dimension of 9 feet in diameter by about 48 feet long (not all stations have tanks that big, either).

Gas station tanks are buried between 5-10 feet deep, depending on ground conditions, but the average seems to be about 7 feet. So, 7 feet plus 9 feet means the bottom of the tank is 16 feet. And those tanks don't draw off the bottom, they either use dip tubes or side draw with the pipe a few feet from the bottom of tank, so realistically a vertical lift of between 12-14 feet.

There are a couple of different kinds of pumps -- tank submerged impellers and push fuel up, and more standard suction pumps that sit outside the tank and pull fuel out.

Neither style has much trouble dealing with a 14 foot vertical lift. The amount of lift the pump needs to generate also doesn't change. It remains static because the pump and dip tube locations don't change relative to the level of gas in the tank.

The lift does change with the level of gas in the tank; doesn't matter whether you draw from the bottom or the top, and it does affect the flow rate out of a suction pump.  I don't know if it's a significant amount or not.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2049 on: May 16, 2021, 10:50:24 AM »
Please tell me this is fake

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes