Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 386997 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #2050 on: May 16, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »
Please tell me this is fake

It would make more sense if there was a trash bag used as a liner.  Not a lot more sense, but more than zero. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2051 on: May 16, 2021, 10:31:20 PM »
$2.80 today in Springfield Ohio

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2052 on: May 17, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »
The lift does change with the level of gas in the tank; doesn't matter whether you draw from the bottom or the top, and it does affect the flow rate out of a suction pump.  I don't know if it's a significant amount or not.

OK, I was thinking about this a bit more, and I realized that the head lift would change if the tank used a top mounted suction tube, but it wouldn't change if it used a side draw tube.

And no, I don't think a change in a couple of feet would make much of a difference at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2053 on: May 17, 2021, 08:58:12 AM »
OK, I was thinking about this a bit more, and I realized that the head lift would change if the tank used a top mounted suction tube, but it wouldn't change if it used a side draw tube.

And no, I don't think a change in a couple of feet would make much of a difference at all.

Yes it would, yes it does.  Physics be like it is, yo.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2054 on: May 17, 2021, 09:18:43 AM »
Answers from the ducks of knowledge seem to indicate that turbulence in the main tank caused by a fuel delivery will fool the leak detectors in the pump system.  This causes the pumps to go into a slower mode to limit any leakage.
Slow pumping can also occur after pumps haven't been used for a while.  Sitting overnight without much use can also allow air into the system that fools the leak detectors.  This causes slow pumping for the first few gas buyers in the morning.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2055 on: May 17, 2021, 09:27:38 AM »
Slow pumping seems to occur for me every time two or more people are using the pumps at the same time.  It is most obvious when two people are using opposite sides of the same pump.

As for the pump(s), is there just one or two pumps that supply pressure to all of the dispensers or does each dispenser get its own pump?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2056 on: May 17, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »
Yes it would, yes it does.  Physics be like it is, yo.

Ok, exactly what are you referring to? That side siphon would change the head lift? How?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2057 on: May 17, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
Slow pumping seems to occur for me every time two or more people are using the pumps at the same time.  It is most obvious when two people are using opposite sides of the same pump.

As for the pump(s), is there just one or two pumps that supply pressure to all of the dispensers or does each dispenser get its own pump?

I believe that the standard design is that each storage tank has the main pump. Individual fueling stands may have a small booster pump designed to regulate pressure through the delivery pump meter.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2058 on: May 17, 2021, 10:32:30 AM »
Ok, exactly what are you referring to? That side siphon would change the head lift? How?

You measure the lift from the liquid level in the tank; doesn't matter whether you draw from the top, middle, or bottom.  As the level drops, the pump has to work harder.  When the lift equals the atmospheric pressure the flow stops completely (unless you pressurize the tank)  The lift is nowhere near the limit here -- it might be approaching half the limit -- so I don't know if the effect is significant or not.

If there's a submersible pump in the tank, it's not the issue.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2059 on: May 17, 2021, 02:02:28 PM »
OK, that's interesting. Seems counterintuitive to  me, but I'll go with it as this is not an area in which I have a lot of knowledge.

I'm trying to find some specifications regarding how high a pump can lift a column of fluid, but I'm not sure that I'm searching the correct terms. The only thing I've found is for well jet pumps. Depending on the pump, they can lift water upwards 100 feet.

But no mater what, I'm really thinking that the amount of lift found in your average gas station is basically negligible.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2060 on: May 17, 2021, 02:20:00 PM »
OK, that's interesting. Seems counterintuitive to  me, but I'll go with it as this is not an area in which I have a lot of knowledge.

I'm trying to find some specifications regarding how high a pump can lift a column of fluid, but I'm not sure that I'm searching the correct terms. The only thing I've found is for well jet pumps. Depending on the pump, they can lift water upwards 100 feet.

But no mater what, I'm really thinking that the amount of lift found in your average gas station is basically negligible.

A suction pump can lift water approximately 29 feet.  Full stop.  A jet pump is something else; I just vaguely know how they work.  :)

On the pressure side, whatever the maximum output pressure is you multiply that by 2 for approximately how high it can pump water.  The higher you pump it, the lower the pressure will be at the discharge end of the pipe/hose.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2062 on: May 18, 2021, 01:21:08 PM »
President Joe Biden is putting the spotlight Tuesday on the electric vehicle future he envisions for the United States, as a way to tackle climate change and create jobs.
https://www.wave3.com/2021/05/18/biden-spotlight-electric-vehicle-future-he-sees-us/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2063 on: May 24, 2021, 08:29:41 AM »
Gas prices are starting to slip back a little bit here in Northern Virginia from the spike they took when Colonial's IT security team *expletive deleted*it the bed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2064 on: May 24, 2021, 08:59:57 AM »
$3.40 in town, $3.25 at the Costco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #2065 on: May 24, 2021, 09:09:42 AM »
$2.70 roughly here in Central Ky.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2066 on: May 29, 2021, 08:22:25 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2067 on: May 29, 2021, 08:47:55 AM »
Gas prices went down a few pennies last week, but have popped back to where they jumped to when the pipeline shut down. Wheee...

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2068 on: May 29, 2021, 09:05:40 AM »
https://www.wave3.com/2021/05/18/biden-spotlight-electric-vehicle-future-he-sees-us/

Yeah it’ll create jobs in Mexico and overseas and feed lots of graft into politicians pockets.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2069 on: May 29, 2021, 06:31:33 PM »
69.18 to fill up the truck today. I didn't look at price but this is the first time in a long time it took over fifty.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2070 on: May 29, 2021, 06:42:18 PM »
Gas is holding steady here at 2.899 a gallon at most stations, and 2.799 at Costco, Fleet Farm, and the big KwikTrip across the highway from Fleet Farm.
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2071 on: May 29, 2021, 09:02:15 PM »
$3.35~ in Oregon.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 30, 2021, 10:47:04 AM »
$2.60 at the Murphy's in the Wal-Mart lot yesterday in Shreveport, LA NOT using any membership discounts.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2073 on: May 30, 2021, 11:04:15 AM »
$2.84 Sam's Club Louisville
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2074 on: May 30, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »
$ 3.19 at the Marysville Costco, 45 miles north of Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.