Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 384571 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #275 on: August 10, 2015, 01:13:10 PM »
$2.17-$2.19 in the Tulsa area, under $2 in OKC.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
$2.399 last night locally.  Got to go up to Weatherford tonight, so I may swing through Granbury on the way back to top off the tank and cans.  GasBuddy showing $2.189 there as of an hour ago.  Says 2.179 at the Pilot in Weatherford though.  I'll pass that on my way in, so we'll see if I get lucky.  Doesn't really save any distance, but not going through Granbury it's all interstate and 75mph US highway with only one stop sign and one short slowdown.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
I filled up for $1.89 yesterday.

The local Buccees was having a deal with a 15 cent/gallon discount using a credit union credit card.  10 cents more for getting a car wash.  Regular price was about $2.14.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #278 on: August 11, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »
Yesterday gasoline and heating oil both spiked hard, and crude rose, based on reports from China that they've been buying more oil and their economy seems to be kick starting.

Today the situation is almost completely reversed, with oil dropping hard, and gasoline and heating oil futures giving back almost everything that they gained yesterday, apparently because late yesterday the Chinese devalued the Yuan.

I'm starting to think the unthinkable...

That crude oil could slip below $40 a barrel in the coming weeks, and with the end of the driving season and the switch back to cheaper blendstock gasoline the price at the pump could drop quite a bit more.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
Well, Pilot was $2.349, but Granbury Racetrac was $2.189.  Just seems crazy to have that much variation in about 20 miles, especially given that there was a $2.529 station along the interstate in Weatherford with a $2.399 one right across from it.  Have to wonder if people are really not willing to cross the street to save $0.13/gallon.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
"Just seems crazy to have that much variation in about 20 miles,"

It's not uncommon in this area to see that much variation in stations that are across the street from each other.

When  I first moved to the DC area there was one station, an Exxon, near the intersection of the George Washington Parkway, Route 123, and near the Chain Bridge.

Not a remote area by any stretch of the imagiation, and not that far from any number of gas stations less than a mile away...

Yet the gas at that Exxon was always 40 to 60 cents a gallon more than any other station in the area.

There was also an Exxon near where Mtnbkr and I used to work. VERY heavily traveled area in the heart of Tysons Corners, near a lot of office buildings, I66, and major auto dealerships. That one always had a 20 to 40 cent mark up over the Shell station that was literally right across the street.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #281 on: August 11, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
The town I grew up near is on I-10 West of Houston.  The stations along the interstate were always 5 to 10 cents higher than anything even a couple hundreds yards off the interstate. 

There was also an Exxon service station there.  They were always 10 cents higher than everyone else.  Few local people ever went there.  It is out of business and torn down now. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #282 on: August 11, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
"Just seems crazy to have that much variation in about 20 miles,"

It's not uncommon in this area to see that much variation in stations that are across the street from each other.

When  I first moved to the DC area there was one station, an Exxon, near the intersection of the George Washington Parkway, Route 123, and near the Chain Bridge.

Not a remote area by any stretch of the imagiation, and not that far from any number of gas stations less than a mile away...

Yet the gas at that Exxon was always 40 to 60 cents a gallon more than any other station in the area.

There was also an Exxon near where Mtnbkr and I used to work. VERY heavily traveled area in the heart of Tysons Corners, near a lot of office buildings, I66, and major auto dealerships. That one always had a 20 to 40 cent mark up over the Shell station that was literally right across the street.

Yup.  Another example - There's a Hess at the corner of John Marr and Little River Tpk/236 in Annandale; just up John Marr at Columbia Pike is a BP.  The BP is *ALWAYS* about $0.40/gal higher than anywhere else, including the Hess a block away.

I don't know that I've ever seen a car there, in the 9 years I've lived in NoVA.  No idea how they stay open.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #283 on: August 11, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
Yup.  Another example - There's a Hess at the corner of John Marr and Little River Tpk/236 in Annandale; just up John Marr at Columbia Pike is a BP.  The BP is *ALWAYS* about $0.40/gal higher than anywhere else, including the Hess a block away.

I don't know that I've ever seen a car there, in the 9 years I've lived in NoVA.  No idea how they stay open.

It's funny when passing through Mineral Wells on US281; there's a pair of stations, one on the north side and one on the south that are regularly $0.15 cheaper than the others, but they use old mechanical pumps so you have to go in and prepay.  There's never a line for the two pumps at each of them.  Even with MW's relatively poor population, (the averages don't do it justice, as there are a couple of disproportionately expensive neighborhoods where house values are 7-8 figures, but most of the town is in the low to very low five figures) people won't take an extra minute to save $2 on a fillup. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #284 on: August 11, 2015, 07:20:55 PM »
Oil continues to drop.  What...$43.00 bbl now?  Yet gas here is $2.57 which is 50 cents higher than when oil was $60.00 a bbl.  Guy on the radio said it would be over $3.00.  smh.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #285 on: August 11, 2015, 10:23:21 PM »
I saw $2.18 over night.
Interesting times.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2015, 08:14:34 AM »
Went from $2.15 to $2.29 overnight for no good reason.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #287 on: August 12, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
That's not quite correct...seems some refinery in Indiana had some trivial problem...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #288 on: August 12, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »
I said a good reason damn it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #289 on: August 12, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
$ 2.83 this morning at the Arlington Costco, 40 miles north of Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #290 on: August 12, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
Still $2.19 in Claremore at the Come and Go.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #291 on: August 12, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »
Oil continues to drop.  What...$43.00 bbl now?  Yet gas here is $2.57 which is 50 cents higher than when oil was $60.00 a bbl.  Guy on the radio said it would be over $3.00.  smh.

Sometime back before 2007 there was a great article about separation of price of gasoline and price of oil per barrel. I wish I could remember the reasoning they gave, but it made sense.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #292 on: August 12, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Was 2.17 in fredericksburg on monday as high as 2.80 as i went cross to minnesota 2.49 in minnesota now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #293 on: August 13, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »
Sometime back before 2007 there was a great article about separation of price of gasoline and price of oil per barrel. I wish I could remember the reasoning they gave, but it made sense.

Oil of course forms the base for the price of gasoline and all other distillates, but gasoline itself is a traded commodity, which adds another pricing mechanism into the mix.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2015, 05:50:01 AM »
Another "why's it so more expensive here" story.

The station near my house, a Citgo, is about $2.65 a gallon right now. Around the corner, on a very busy road, are a number of stations. The Sunoco is about the same price as the Citgo, the Shell a bit higher.

Near Castlekey's house about 10 miles away prices are running about $2.51 a gallon (there are 4 stations in very close proximity - Liberty, Sunoco, BP, and Shell. The Liberty is usually the cheapest by a few pennies, and the Shell the most expensive by a few pennies. A half mile away on the same road is an Exxon, which is normally about 15 cents a gallon more expensive. It's the only station that's visible in that area, so that probably drives the price somewhat.

Near where I shop, on a very busy road, is an Exxon. Again, it's the only visible station for about a mile or more in either direction, but certainly not isolated at all. Last night it was still sitting at $2.99 a gallon, and I suspect that it's going to be at that price for a long time.

It seems that in this area if a gas station isn't in eyeshot of another station, the price immediately jumps by 10 to 15 cents a gallon.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »
Just saw that prices jumped again overnight.  Up to $2.45, 30 cent jump in just a couple of days.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #296 on: August 13, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »
Just saw that prices jumped again overnight.  Up to $2.45, 30 cent jump in just a couple of days.

Where are you? Prices are continuing to drop here (albeit slowly).

There've been issues with a refinery in Indiana, IIRC, which has impacted supplies to part of the midwest.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #297 on: August 13, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
Yesterday I saw $2.08 at one station and $2.15 at another.

There's a station near me with clerks too lazy to go out and change the numbers on the sign. It still says $2.89.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #298 on: August 13, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »
Oil of course forms the base for the price of gasoline and all other distillates, but gasoline itself is a traded commodity, which adds another pricing mechanism into the mix.

Also something about how oil is a multiuse commodity, like for chemical feedstocks, not just fuels.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #299 on: August 13, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
Also something about how oil is a multiuse commodity, like for chemical feedstocks, not just fuels.

Uhm... Yeah. That's what this means: "all other distillates"

Crude oil, by itself, has virtually no applications other than being converted into refined materials.

Here's the generalized breakdown of what crude oil is turned into:

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=41&t=6