Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 384757 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #625 on: January 18, 2016, 04:29:55 PM »
$1.69 when I filled up this afternoon.

Adjusted for inflation, that's pretty much the same price as the $1 gas that I was buying when I first started driving.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #626 on: January 18, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #627 on: January 19, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
$1.29 for the most part now here in T-town.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #628 on: January 19, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
$1.429 last night.  At this rate, going to Odessa (270 miles each way) for a weekend with the pretty lady there doesn't sound so bad.  $50 would easily handle the gas.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #629 on: January 19, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
He's done a fantastic job of destroying the coal industry.   :mad:
Cheap natural gas killed coal.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tamara

« Reply #631 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:26 AM »
$1.85/gal for Unleaded Plus last fillup here in Indy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #632 on: January 19, 2016, 10:23:17 AM »
Wow!

Yeah, except as of this morning, the price war is over and the price is back to the area-prevailing $1.50ish, according to national news.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #633 on: January 19, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »
Yeah, except as of this morning, the price war is over and the price is back to the area-prevailing $1.50ish, according to national news.

Well, a buck fity is still "wow" territory compared to what I'm paying.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #634 on: January 19, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »
BP was a $1.85 last night on the way home and $1.83 this morning as I went by.  I figure they'll be giving it away here in a couple of weeks.

I just need it to warm up so I can wash the road salt off my car and get an additional $.20 off per gallon.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:46:58 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #635 on: January 19, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »
I can get non-ethanol premium for $1.75.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #636 on: January 19, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
$ 2.02/gallon unleaded this morning at the Marysville Costco, 40 miles north of Seattle.  I would not be surprised to see it below the $ 2.00 mark in the next few days.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #637 on: January 19, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »
1.58ish now, plus or minus a couple cents depending what area you drive through.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #638 on: January 20, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »
Mostly agree, though there is the small valve connected to national reserves that can and has been turned on before.  There's only so much a president can drain from the reserves though. I don't know what the maximum price effect that it can have time-wise is, but I would suspect not more than a year or so, and that would still be tied to market forces. I can't remember how big an effect it had when the last Bush did it.

Also, I think the strategic reserve valve only turns one way, to artificially reduce prices in a high market.

More than a YEAR?

BBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahah!

The last two releases from the reserve were in 2005 (Hurricane Katrina supply domestic pumping interruption) and 2011 (disruptions caused by the Arab Spring movement, and matched by a similar release by IEA nations).

In both cases the price of oil was trending sharply higher. The releases only slowed the upward spiral, and only for less than a week, if that.

The reality is that a release from the SPR will do nothing to contain oil when it's in a climb mode being fueled by level production and rising demand.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #639 on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »
More than a YEAR?

BBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahah!

The last two releases from the reserve were in 2005 (Hurricane Katrina supply domestic pumping interruption) and 2011 (disruptions caused by the Arab Spring movement, and matched by a similar release by IEA nations).

In both cases the price of oil was trending sharply higher. The releases only slowed the upward spiral, and only for less than a week, if that.

The reality is that a release from the SPR will do nothing to contain oil when it's in a climb mode being fueled by level production and rising demand.

Hence why I said "small", NOT more than a year, and tied to market forces.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #640 on: January 20, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »
Yep, sorry, I misread your post.

But still...

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahahha!

And WTI is, once again, falling like a stone. $27 and change a barrel right now.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #641 on: January 20, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Prices jumped to $1.43 overnight.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #642 on: January 20, 2016, 10:57:49 AM »
Yep, sorry, I misread your post.

But still...

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahahha!

And WTI is, once again, falling like a stone. $27 and change a barrel right now.

No problemo. Also, I wasn't promoting their use (not that you said I was). I think using the strategic reserves in that way is stupid. They're called strategic for a reason, so I don't like to see administrations using them for crap like temporary price relief for consumers. It's a short-term solution that ends up making free market corrections take longer.

If you were to calculate in the costs of dragging out a price rise by slowing it down, it might actually end up costing consumers more money.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #643 on: January 20, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
While people in the past have called for releases from the SPR to smooth out prices, the reality is that that has never been done.

The two most recent releases were done for strategic reasons relating to interruption of supply.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #644 on: January 20, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »
While people in the past have called for releases from the SPR to smooth out prices, the reality is that that has never been done.

The two most recent releases were done for strategic reasons relating to interruption of supply.

Which is one of the very few reasons it should be opened up.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #645 on: January 20, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »
A more routine transaction involves short-term borrowing from the reserve.

Companies can make withdrawals from the reserve to smooth out ripples in their supply and production schedules so that they don't have to reduce operations, or even shutter, a refinery. Shuttering a refinery is bad juju, because it can take weeks to get one fully operational again.

Those withdrawals are then "paid back" to the reserve from shipments.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #646 on: January 20, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »

Huh. I had thought Bush did it because foreign producers reduced what they were giving us for price control. I need to go back and read about it. I agree if there are infrastructure interruption reasons it should be carefully used.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #647 on: January 20, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »
Nope.

http://energy.gov/fe/services/petroleum-reserves/strategic-petroleum-reserve/spr-quick-facts-and-faqs

There was one general release under the Bush Administration, in 2005 in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

This page has a list of SPR transactions: http://energy.gov/fe/services/petroleum-reserves/strategic-petroleum-reserve/spr-quick-facts-and-faqs

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #648 on: January 20, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »
47 cents a gallon in my parents' hometown, Houghton, MI.

Is it bad that I started thinking if I still had the Saturn (or better yet, the 45MPG Suzuki Swift I used to have) and enough cans, I could have made the trip worthwhile?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #649 on: January 20, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »