Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 386508 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #1425 on: October 14, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
$ 3.15/gallon yesterday at the Marysville Costco, 40 miles north of Costco. Ethanol-free gas is very hard to come by here in Washington.  There are a few listings on pure-gas.com, but last time I checked, there was only one auto pure gas supplier in the state, who gets it from a refinery in Wyoming, or something like that.  Airports and marinas will generally not sell it if it is not being pumped directly into your airplane or boat.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1426 on: October 14, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
$ 3.15/gallon yesterday at the Marysville Costco, 40 miles north of Costco.

Fascinating.

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1427 on: October 14, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
That's why I stated "automotive" pumps. I don't know what the marinas sell. I do know the airports will not (maybe cannot) sell to anyone except directly into an aircraft.

ALL [automotive] pump gasoline here is E-10. Your "normally E free" may be normal for your state, but it isn't "normal" everywhere.

what state do you live in?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1428 on: October 14, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
.  Airports and marinas will generally not sell it if it is not being pumped directly into your airplane or boat.

Never had a problem with an "legal" red gas can. I just tell them it is for my boat and I have an small outboard engine.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1429 on: October 14, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »
That's why I stated "automotive" pumps. I don't know what the marinas sell. I do know the airports will not (maybe cannot) sell to anyone except directly into an aircraft.

ALL [automotive] pump gasoline here is E-10. Your "normally E free" may be normal for your state, but it isn't "normal" everywhere.

From my time there I don't there is much of anything "normal" about Connecticut.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #1430 on: October 19, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »
Hmm, Gas prices today. on Roosevelt Rd in Wheaton/Glen Ellyn.  Mobil and BP $2.65/gal.  Shell $2.63.   WTI is just below $70 and Brent is just over $80.

Interesting articles in the WSJ a few days back.  There plenty of oil, it's just in  the wrong places.  Not enough transport (both pipeline and rail) to get Canadian oil to the East.

Meanwhile, China has cut back on imports from the US.  From 350,000 bbl per day to almost zero.  Oil is not subject to Chinese tariffs.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1431 on: October 19, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
$ 3.25/gallon at the Marysville Costco this morning, 40 miles north of Seattle. It has gone up $0.15/gallon over the past two weeks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1432 on: October 19, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
I filled up last night for $2.33 for E10.
Non-ethanol was $2.65.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1433 on: October 19, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »
It's been dropping here a bit the last 2 weeks.

It's still $2.75 at my local Citgo, but it's down to the low $2.60s at the stations I pass regularly in Arlington.

WTI dropped below $70 a barrel this week, so hopefully we'll see some additional reductions.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1434 on: October 19, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »
Oh crap, I just remembered I need to fill up the car with gas tonight cuz I gotta give an old lady that lives across town a ride to church in the morning.  Seeing this thread reminded me.  Thanks!

...wait, it's Friday isn't it?  Nevermind.

2.779 at Costco.  On the way there I saw E15 for 2.509, which is a good price but I don't like to put that much ethanol in the 2010.  (I do use it sometimes in the 2015 if the prices difference is that much)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:30:40 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1435 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:32 PM »
$2.879 for regular at a station in the opposite direction from where I usually get gas.

Had an appointment at the VA hospital on Wednesday morning. On the way to the hospital, price at the former #1 station was $3.099. On the way home two hours later, the same station was $3.069. Prices do seem to be dropping, even while the media tell me that prices are going up because TRUMP!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #1436 on: October 19, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
$2.62 last Saturday at Sam's Club.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1437 on: October 20, 2018, 12:14:47 AM »
I've been driving around 110 mi round trip the last week, taking a couple different routes between Canton & Tyler TX.  Been seeing prices anywhere from $2.39 to $2.89 for E10, from $2.89 to $3.29 for diesel. 

We recently got a car that'll use E85, but I haven't seen any available on any of the routes.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1438 on: October 20, 2018, 12:30:52 AM »
What's E85? 85 percent alcohol? Thank G-d that hasn't found its way into my state ... yet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1439 on: October 20, 2018, 12:39:58 AM »
What's E85? 85 percent alcohol? Thank G-d that hasn't found its way into my state ... yet.

To the best of my knowledge, Yep.  I don't recall ever seeing a pump marked for it, but I haven't been out of the local area in a few years.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #1440 on: October 20, 2018, 12:53:39 AM »
$2.56 net after $.08 in discounts at Pilot in Carol Stream tonight
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1441 on: October 21, 2018, 10:50:19 AM »

Yes, 85% ethanol for flex fuel vehicles. My last work car was a flex fuel and since I work in agriculture I was required to only use e85 in it. It is still fairly rare to find in Iowa. I wore that car out and got issued a new one, it isn't a flex fuel, but has e10/15 label in the fuel cap. So work requires me to burn e10 or e15 depending on availability at the gas stations.

Since new flex fuel vehicles are getting harder to get, the e85 pumps may no expand as quickly as they were.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1442 on: October 21, 2018, 12:56:40 PM »
There's a lot of E85 in Minnesota.  Not sure why it's more prevalent here than in Iowa.  It's a decent source of denatured alcohol, but I haven't tried using it for shellac thinner.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1443 on: October 21, 2018, 01:07:24 PM »
There's a lot of E85 in Minnesota.  Not sure why it's more prevalent here than in Iowa.  It's a decent source of denatured alcohol, but I haven't tried using it for shellac thinner.

Minnesota is more progressive than Iowa.

Most BP, Kwik Star and Hyvee gas have e85 here,  but not every town has those. I live in a town of 27,000 and there is only one e-85 station in the city limits. There are 8 ethanol plants within 45 miles of town and a pipeline terminal 5 miles away.

Uranus is a gas giant.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1444 on: October 21, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
I noticed $2.59 today.  A couple weeks ago it was $3.13.  The over $3 prices don't usually last long, only a day or so.  It usually jumps from around $2.79 when it jumps over $3.  Been steadily declining over the last week.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1445 on: October 21, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »
When I was working, Obama passed some dumb ass regulation that required 75% of all fed.gov vehicle fleets to be composed of some kind of "alternative fuel" vehicles. I ended up having to order E85 vehicles from GSA to comply, even though there were no E85 stations within 1000 miles AFAIK.

It looked good for his alternative energy policies though, plus considering how many vehicles the gov buys, they were able to show an uptick in sales for flex fuel vehicles, even though probably only 5% of them actually used the "flex" fuel.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1446 on: October 22, 2018, 06:53:40 AM »
My brother's car is E85 and he's had no problems finding it in Central & North Central Pennsylvania.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1447 on: October 22, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »
E85 is garbage.  Used it in my old truck once and the milage was lower and power sucked.

Speaking of PA...gas up in PA is 40 cents more expensive than here.  No apparent reason.  Just more expensive.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1448 on: October 22, 2018, 08:25:31 AM »
E85 is garbage.  Used it in my old truck once and the milage was lower and power sucked.

Speaking of PA...gas up in PA is 40 cents more expensive than here.  No apparent reason.  Just more expensive.

I wonder if they actually built an engine designed to run on e85 if mileage would be a lot better? There is so much loss with a gasoline engine compared to the energy value of the fuel (gasoline) used. There has to be a better way.

My experience with running 90% E-85 for 140,000 miles was lower MPG, but I had more power at the wheels. I had a 2013 Chyrsler 200 with the V6. I had close to 300hp and it loved he higher octane of E-85.

I got a buddy who builds twin turbo 4 cylinder cars, gets over 700 horsepower of then, loves e-85 to power his cars.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1449 on: October 22, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
"gas up in PA is 40 cents more expensive than here.  No apparent reason.  Just more expensive."

No apparent reason?

Well, when you realize that Pennsylvania has the HIGHEST gasoline taxes in the nation, at 58.2 cents a gallon on top of the Federal 18.4 cent per gallon tax, it becomes very apparent.

In 2014 the state gas tax was 31 cents.

Compare that to Virginia's gas tax, which is 22.4 cents per gallon.