Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 384547 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #2825 on: June 17, 2022, 01:50:24 PM »
Sorry if this might have been posted before. It's an article from some greedy, oil industry types, explaining why lowering prices is easier to talk about than to actually do.

https://www.afpm.org/newsroom/blog/refining-capacity-101-what-understand-demanding-restarts
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:08:04 PM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2826 on: June 17, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »
Page not found errors.  The disinformation has been removed, apparently.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2828 on: June 17, 2022, 02:41:38 PM »
Fits an all too common pattern nowadays

White House officials exploring sending Americans rebates cards to offset gas costs ran into another problem — the chips shortage, which meant US couldn’t physically produce enough cards to make the plan work even if lawmakers tried to do it, per sourceshttps://t.co/k1YNcZN1eq

— Jeff Stein (@JStein_WaPo) June 17, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/06/17/dumbest-admin-ever-biden-white-houses-super-genius-plan-to-offset-gas-costs-for-americans-foiled-by-another-crisis-they-created/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2831 on: June 19, 2022, 01:38:47 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2832 on: June 19, 2022, 02:49:42 PM »
One look and I didn't even want to turn on the sound

Same here.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2833 on: June 19, 2022, 02:53:06 PM »
Down a few more cents, surprisingly.  Market forces doing their thing.  Not sure how long this will keep up.  From $4.39 to $4.59 was the range we saw while running around after church today. 

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2834 on: June 21, 2022, 09:59:30 PM »
still holding at 4.79

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2835 on: June 21, 2022, 10:16:57 PM »
Down a few more cents, surprisingly.  Market forces doing their thing.  Not sure how long this will keep up.  From $4.39 to $4.59 was the range we saw while running around after church today.

Never fear Biden will do something to fix that tomorrow
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2836 on: June 21, 2022, 10:43:10 PM »
Never fear Biden will do something to fix that tomorrow

He already did. More lease sales got postponed to maybe never.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2837 on: June 22, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
Crude is getting hammered today. Right now it's down just shy of $7 a barrel.

RBOB is off 13 cents to $3.66 a gallon. Still WAY too freaking high, but a start.

But, I don't want it to drop too much too quickly... Otherwise Brandon might get delusions that his policies are actually bringing the price of gas down, and worse, people might actually buy that complete crock of festering dementia bullshit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2838 on: June 22, 2022, 09:49:28 AM »
Saw $4.19 at Sam's last night.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2839 on: June 22, 2022, 10:12:53 AM »
$4.79 at Sams here
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2840 on: June 22, 2022, 10:18:34 AM »
Cheapest I've seen here in Northern Virginia is $4.93.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2841 on: June 22, 2022, 10:34:11 AM »
He pushing hard to get congress to do a gas tax holiday. That would save me about $4 a tank and probably screw things up worse.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2842 on: June 22, 2022, 10:35:12 AM »
and probably screw things up worse.

Never stopped them before
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2843 on: June 22, 2022, 11:50:32 AM »
I saw something this morning:  the IRS is implementing some sort of federal tax on hydrogen production from methane.  Most hydrogen is made from natural gas.  Not sure what effects this will have.  As far as fuel is concerned, hydrogen is used as part of the sulfur removal process among other uses throughout the chemical industry. 

Here is an article I dug up.  May be other chemicals affected.  The hydrogen part affects my employer.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/tax-insights-and-commentary/superfund-chemical-excise-taxes-once-again-back-to-run-the-show
Superfund Chemical Excise Taxes: Once Again, Back to Run the Show

On Nov. 15, 2021, President Joe Biden signed into law the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act—or Jobs Act—which reinstated and expanded the Superfund chemical excise taxes under sections 4661 and 4671 of the tax code. Prior to their expiration in 1995, the Superfund chemical excise taxes were used to fund the Hazardous Substance Superfund. Expenditures were administered by the Environmental Protection Agency and used to clean up hazardous waste sites around the United States. Reinstated, the Superfund excise taxes will apply to a long list of chemicals and chemical-containing substances, effective July 1, 2022 through Dec. 31, 2031, absent extension.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2844 on: June 22, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »
Goddamn it, oil is really cutting its losses for the day.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2845 on: June 22, 2022, 12:24:31 PM »
He pushing hard to get congress to do a gas tax holiday. That would save me about $4 a tank and probably screw things up worse.

Lot of economists say it could really ramp up inflation.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2846 on: June 22, 2022, 12:40:52 PM »
And he is planning on printing the money to replace the uncollected taxes to keep the highway fund on track.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2847 on: June 22, 2022, 12:48:11 PM »
Lot of economists say it could really ramp up inflation.

Not that it won't, but I'm not sure I understand how.

Personally, I think a "gas tax holiday" makes more sense than depleting the strategic reserves. Depleting the reserves got us like two cents savings for a few weeks and the oil was gone. A gas tax holiday at least gives us a noticeable drop (especially if states do it too) without leaving us with our oil pants around our ankles. Plus at some point we have to replenish the reserves at much higher prices, so the federal budget takes a hit either way.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2848 on: June 22, 2022, 12:54:30 PM »
Problem with a gas tax holiday is that it only masks the problem without actually addressing it. Plus, at some point the holiday will end and we'll be right back where we are. It's certainly better than nothing, at least short-term, but the fundamental problem still remains.

In addition, it may well make the problem worse. A sudden drop in fuel prices will likely result in a corresponding surge in demand, driving commodity prices up. With that, and the eventual reinstatement of fuel taxes, the price ends up being even higher.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2849 on: June 22, 2022, 12:55:48 PM »
It's certainly better than nothing, at least short-term, but the fundamental problem still remains.
Short-term?  More like mid-term, am I right?