Author Topic: So what's everone paying for gasoline?  (Read 384559 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: So what's everone paying for gasoline?
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 07:09:22 AM »
7,44 Dollars for a gallon of .95 octane gas in the south of France  =(

Doesn't seem like pries have gone up much there. I remember being in France in 99 and gas was about $5/gal while at home it was probably in the mid $1 range. Worst I've ever paid was in Norway, Think it worked out to around $6,50/gal. Of course the obligatory hot dog and coke to go with the fill-up set me back another $8-9.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
Saw a story the other day that oil would likely not drop much further.  A barrel of oil was up by $1.15 at close of trading yesterday.  It's up by $1.17 in current trading.  That is a fairly significant move.  Methinks the bottom has been reached.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
Forget the average annual salary unless you are converting way-back-then dollars to today dollars and adjust the cost of living figures as well.  In 1953 it was possible to rent a room for $5/week and for another $5/week you could get (admittedly rather meager) breakfast and dinner.  OTOH there were far fewer luxury items that the average working stiff could afford.

The real fun of nostalgia is the selective memory - only to good things get mentioned, while the rest of the stuff that made life back then the same rat-race hellhole as today is ignored.

stay safe.

The Draft  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2014, 10:56:30 AM »
$2.88 (down from $2.91 overnight) at the RaceWay (independent, cheapest available) down the street from me, and matched by the Shell and BP stations nearby.  Down the road about 5 miles it's $2.81.

The talking heads are predicting even lower prices "as we get into the winter months when people are driving less."  You'd think refineries and the rest of the system would know to cut back production in anticipation and keep the supply/demand ratio about stable.

stay safe.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but I rather suspect it's more like there's an election in a month.  .gov arm twists to get gas prices down so the proles think all is good (or at least getting better) and they're less angry and vote for the incumbent instead of the new guy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2014, 11:19:43 AM »
I guess this would be a good time to go fill up the Suburban ... might get it under $100  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
Within the past few days, I've seen "name brand" gas (Shell, Exxon) around the Austin area as low as the $2.959 - $2.999 range, though some stations are still up around $3.199.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, ALL the local gas has been diluted with ethanol.

Worse, I think the EPA is meddling with mandated "seasonal blends" since MPG of both of my cars is down over past years. (Neighbor had noticed the same thing with his cars.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but I rather suspect it's more like there's an election in a month.  .gov arm twists to get gas prices down so the proles think all is good (or at least getting better) and they're less angry and vote for the incumbent instead of the new guy.

Yeah... no.

A lot of people think this, but it has nothing to do with reality.

Crude oil and gasoline are internationally traded commodities, with prices affected primarily by supply and demand levels both in the United States and internationally.

How little the government can affect the price of those commodities can be seen in the relative recent oil releases from the strategic petroleum reserves. The effect on prices was extremely limited and very short lived.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »
$2.89 at Costco.  $2.95 to $2.99 everyplace else.  OTOH, my gas mileage just went to hell, so it's that winter mix that has a lot of butane in it (not many BTU's) and it's cheaper to produce.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
I've seen anything from $3.29 to $3.55 around here.   Although it's only $3.07 at the Pilot (where I also get another $.03 off) in Gary, IN.  However, the next time I'll be through there is 23 Oct.  I'm down to a little more then 1/2 a tank, so I'm going to have to buckle down and buy gas in Illinois.   I guess I could fill up from the gas cans in the garage.  I probably will as it's time to rotate the gas.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »
Regular dropped to $3.95 today. Diesel is still $3.99.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »
$3.05 for 87 octane here in east bum f#ck Michigan. 

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »
3.41 for regular in Eastern WA. +10 cents each grade up from regular. Probably 15-20 cents cheaper a gallon 45 minutes east of here in Idaho, that is normal.

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2014, 10:43:42 PM »
2.919 here in W. Michigan.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2014, 02:22:10 AM »
I saw it at 2.69 at one Quiktrip, maybe 20 or 30 miles south of St. Louis. I think one sign read 2.67, near Eureka, but it was hard to tell.

At a couple of places, it was 2.68, for cash customers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »
Regular dropped to $3.95 today. Diesel is still $3.99.

$3.95?

Where are you? California?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
$3.95?

Where are you? California?

Heh. Yup. See my first post in the thread for all the fun.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:56:39 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
3.05 of regular gas and 3.30 for diesel. That at a Hess station in NJ.
Gypsies gas is a little less.
I should be able to fill the truck for under a 100 bucks soon.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2014, 07:43:11 PM »
Just saw 2.67.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
Paid 2.93 today in Cedar Falls, IA for 87 E-10.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
2.67... balls!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re:
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »
2.67... balls!

I thought balls generally were in whole-numbers.
"It's good, though..."

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2014, 12:58:30 AM »
Just paid $2.89  at the Bucees near San Marcos

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2014, 06:54:47 AM »
$2.77 for regular and $3.03 for premium here in Tulsa at most QT's.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »
It's not the .gov (well, it is.  But in a round about way).  The economy is contracting (or in Obamaspeak, "Not growing fast enough"), and not just here, but worldwide.  Therefore, less overall demand and all the refineries are at +95% percent operations.

But contracting here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/more-businesses-are-closing-than-starting-can-congress-help-turn-that-around/2014/09/17/06576cb8-385a-11e4-8601-97ba88884ffd_story.html

Money Quote:

Consequently, for the first time in 30 years*, business deaths now outnumber business births,
  Since small businesses produce 90+% of all new jobs and they are no growing, hence unemployment continues to grow/remain stagnant.  No matter what bullcaca numbers flow from Washington.

*- While the Washingate Pest says "30 years"  That would put it in the middle of the Reagan years.  However, the actual (Brookings Institute !!)  study points to 1978-1979 (not 1984) as the last time more closed then opened.  The Carter years.  Yep, the "Reagan Hatred" knows no bounds.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
$3.09 this morning in Savannah.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe