Author Topic: It's time to boycott college  (Read 4260 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: It's time to boycott college
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »
My Dad did Sprinkler Fitting which is similar.  Installing fire protection.  He is retired now. 

My Dad did die making/maintenance and machining.
He retired at 62. (last year)
He goes fishing every day now.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
It is actually called Manurite.  It is high temperature metal that operates at up to 1700 F (for us at least).  The tubes are welded to a header which is welded together until it gets out to some refractory lined pipe and then a waste heat boiler.  (Steam Methane Reformer)

Very interesting. Essentially inconel, monel, hasteloy or whatever you want to call your trademark. A high nickel superalloy. Welds with inconel filler. Addition of niobium is what makes the alloy particularly good for high temp applications. Learn something everyday. I also learned that based on the several thousand dollar cost per foot of pipe you'd be dealing with that it is no wonder they run off bad welders.

Stuff is fun to weld when it is new. Problem is that most of the inconel alloys I encountered were not new because they were broken. Mostly hot section engine parts. Nothing like welding something that has heat cycled a few thousand times and has cracks you don't even know about yet.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
What might be a good plan is to move college loans back to private only and bring back the bankruptcy protection.  Bank might be more careful who they give money to.  It might also force universities to cut fees a little. 
 I think it is at least 3 times more expensive now.  However, I have run across A&M graduates from out of state who told me out-of-state tuition was still cheaper than their local major universities. 

15 years ago, most of the budget at state schools came from the state and from the federal government, since 1999 this portion from the State and feds has been shrinking where many universities funding sources are less than 50% from their state, some are as low as 40%. The loss of revenue has to come from somewhere, so tuition is increased to cover part of it. Sounds like more free market to me and less government involvement to. No one makes people go to post secondary school and forces them to get a degree that doesn't pay well in the real world.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »
The market distortion comes from government loans to students who otherwise couldn't get a loan.

The schools and government are in cahoots.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 12:36:09 PM »
15 years ago, most of the budget at state schools came from the state and from the federal government, since 1999 this portion from the State and feds has been shrinking where many universities funding sources are less than 50% from their state, some are as low as 40%. The loss of revenue has to come from somewhere, so tuition is increased to cover part of it. Sounds like more free market to me and less government involvement to. No one makes people go to post secondary school and forces them to get a degree that doesn't pay well in the real world.

Fed.gov backed student loans with no chance of default.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
Very interesting. Essentially inconel, monel, hasteloy or whatever you want to call your trademark. A high nickel superalloy. Welds with inconel filler. Addition of niobium is what makes the alloy particularly good for high temp applications. Learn something everyday. I also learned that based on the several thousand dollar cost per foot of pipe you'd be dealing with that it is no wonder they run off bad welders.

Stuff is fun to weld when it is new. Problem is that most of the inconel alloys I encountered were not new because they were broken. Mostly hot section engine parts. Nothing like welding something that has heat cycled a few thousand times and has cracks you don't even know about yet.
Most of the welding is done on new metal.  The thicker header pipe is the only part that is used.  We have to replace some of the furnace tubes periodically.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »

Over that time, post-sec administrative positions have multiplied at state schools.  To the point that in some state university systems, administrators & bureaucritters outnumber instructors.  And they are subsidizing worthless departments.  Cut the multitude of useless mouths at the trough and see some real educational efficiency blossom.

Also, You assume less state funding, but are plying percentile games.  For example, if the state maintains its level of funding, but the university raises tuition, the percentage of total funding from the state goes down.  Without cutting a single dollar going from the taxpayers to the state university system.  There is no "loss of revenue."

This happened here when the legislature lifted restrictions of tuition increases.  "Oh the noze, the state is SLASHING post-secondary education funding!!!!111!!!"  No, the state schools just drastically increased tuition and went on building and hiring splurges.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
Iconel is also used in a lot of the better suppressors for the baffles. Welding inconel to titanium seems like it'd be tricky.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
Fed.gov backed student loans with no chance of default.

Those have been around for decades, since 1965. That was long before tuition was increased faster than inflation.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
I thought intelligence tests were not legal but skills tests were if administered universally to all applicants?

When I applied with my current employer I had to take a 2 part test. First part was basic mechanical and simple electrical knowledge second part was more advanced electronics that included basic calculations using formulas for ohms law, and inductive  and capacitive circuits as well as some basic computer logic diagrams where you had to determine the output state of various gates by a given input. After 14+ years actually sort of using that knowledge it was a simple test to me and by the look on the he test proctor's face when he scored it I did some better than average. They wouldn't tell us our actual score.
Sadly,  knowing that some of my co-workers took and passed that same test tells me the passing score wasn't very high.

There were 4 of us that hired into the same work group and started on the same day. 3 of us were veterans and had 10-14 years in a related field. The 4th guy was a very recent graduate from a local vo-tech adult program. Good guy, sharp and a hard worker but he was constantly bitching about 3 of us starting at a higher step on the pay scale.  He was convinced it was because he was black.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
I thought intelligence tests were not legal but skills tests were if administered universally to all applicants?

I'm currently applying for a state job in another state and I had to take a simple test to get to a second test before I can even submit my application material.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
When I applied with my current employer I had to take a 2 part test. First part was basic mechanical and simple electrical knowledge second part was more advanced electronics that included basic calculations using formulas for ohms law, and inductive  and capacitive circuits as well as some basic computer logic diagrams where you had to determine the output state of various gates by a given input. After 14+ years actually sort of using that knowledge it was a simple test to me and by the look on the he test proctor's face when he scored it I did some better than average. They wouldn't tell us our actual score.
Sadly,  knowing that some of my co-workers took and passed that same test tells me the passing score wasn't very high.

There were 4 of us that hired into the same work group and started on the same day. 3 of us were veterans and had 10-14 years in a related field. The 4th guy was a very recent graduate from a local vo-tech adult program. Good guy, sharp and a hard worker but he was constantly bitching about 3 of us starting at a higher step on the pay scale.  He was convinced it was because he was black.

When I was interviewing at the shop part of the process was taking a mechanical aptitude test.

Very basic, such as showing a picture of gears and asking which way indicated gears turned, showing a balance bar with loads on each end and asking where the fulcrum placement would be most effective, etc. Similar stuff to what is on the military ASVAB. No math.

I scored an 89. I was told the average score was 62.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!