Author Topic: Anyone ever change the brakes on a 2WD Ranger?  (Read 10122 times)

Wedge

• friend
Anyone ever change the brakes on a 2WD Ranger?
« on: March 05, 2005, 03:02:44 AM »
Hey everyone.  I have done brakes before but it is cold out and I was wondering if anyone has every changed the front brakes on a Ford Ranger, 2WD.  I knew the brakes were going, and then some salt or something got in the brakes and really messed up the rotors...so now I need to change pads and rotors.  So if you have changed brakes on a 2WD Ranger, was it any more or less difficult than any other car?  Do I have to worry about hubs or bearing like on a 4WD version?  Thanks in advance.

enfield

• http://www.delightfulproducts.com
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 03:20:43 AM »
I've done it at least once, and the Ranger brakes are/were very similar to the Explorer brakes which I did a lot of.

You need a metal rod to drive out the pins on each caliper.  Hit on the metal portion of the pins, not the rubber.  Make sure you clean the slide areas on the caliper and lubricate them with Silicone grease.  Ordinary grease can attack the rubber core in the pins and make them swell.

The rear brakes, if they're still drum, are another thing.  Stupid little 9 inch drums and the springs are tucked in so far behind the bolt flange that you need tentacles instead of fingers to remove and install them.  Needle-nose vise grips are the ticket there, and it's still difficult enough to make you cuss.

If you're changing rotors, you will be worrying about the hubs and bearings.  Change the bearings if needed and pack them with good grease as usual.  It's not nearly as difficult as 4WD.
- enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 04:36:18 AM »
Grr...not as easy as my old Nissan Sentra then...

I think I am just going to take it to the shop then.  I don't have anywhere to work and I hate doing car work in the cold.  Oh well.  Thanks for the input I appreciate it!

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 10:03:40 AM »
I ended up taking it to Sears and they did it in about 3 hours (I just dropped it off) and it was only $330.  All things considered they did more work than I was going to do, much faster, the parts weren't that much more than I would have paid and I didn't have to waste my Saturday.  It would have taken me 3 hours just to get the parts and drive down to the farm to work on it out in the driveway.

Enfield, thanks for the advice.  I'll keep in mind what you said (about the trick to getting the caliper off and whatnot) in the future when this isn't my only vehicle and I have a place to work...meaning I have another car to drive when I screw it up Wink

Oh yeah, I want to give a thumbs up Sears Auto Center in Victor, NY.  They did a great job.  Quick, courteous and professional.