Author Topic: Oh SNAP! #2  (Read 3556 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oh SNAP! #2
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:07:02 PM »
I find this somewhat hilarious. R's are finally pushing to restrict the food types available on SNAP. Dems are crying foul. R's push back that they are simply getting rid of junk food and promoting a healthy lifestyle. You know - kinda like Michelle Obama does. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/21/states-food-stamp-purchases/?intcmp=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Oh SNAP! #2
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:26:33 PM »
That's hilarious. The old media won't allow it to be spun that way, but it's still hilarious.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
I think Wisconsin has a great idea in terms of the food categories, and it still allows for choice outside of those categories.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »
I think Wisconsin has a great idea in terms of the food categories, and it still allows for choice outside of those categories.

???
 ???Cheese and non-cheese ???
                     ???
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:26 PM »
I thought it was Cheese, Milk and Butter.

=D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:14:46 AM »
Sounds good to me. I made a WalMart run today and had the displeasure of watching an "assistance recipient" buy a not one but two cartloads of frozen pizzas, box dinners, cookies, candy, and sodas. Not a single fresh item. No commodites. And no seeming attempt at cost/quantity optimization.

I was already a littly cranky because my meager list of basics was pushing the budget. Watching her blow six months of my food budget on about a month's worth of meals for one (in serving terms) just plain pissed me off.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:02:40 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 02:02:55 AM »
I thought it was Cheese, Milk and Butter.

=D =D =D

Nope, cheese and beer.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:37:07 AM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
Sounds good to me. I made a WalMart run today and had the displeasure of watching an "assistance recipient" buy a not one but two cartloads of frozen pizzas, box dinners, cookies, candy, and sodas. Not a single fresh item. No commodites. And no seeming attempt at cost/quantity optimization.

I was already a littly cranky because my meager list of basics was already pushing the budget. Watching her blow six months of my food budget on about a month's worth of meals for one (in serving terms) just plain pissed me off.

Brad

Of course *expletive deleted*ing not. She ain't got to worry, we are paying her *expletive deleted*ing food bill.

*expletive deleted*ing leaches.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/30856-kansas-could-lose-millions-for-limiting-welfare-recipients-to-25-at-atms

Look what Kansas is going to try and do with its welfare recipients.

I'll sound a bit hypocritical maybe, but despite my rants around here about not wanting to see a cashless society, this is one area that I want to see EVERYTHING done cashless. All purchases should be made on their card, and records kept. Not just of the individual, but in aggregate, so we know where all that money goes. Even $25 in cash is $25 too much.

Sorry, but if I'm involuntarily pulling your cart, I have a right to know where my money is going. If you don't want me to know, then seek out a private charity for help. Once I voluntarily give money to the Salvation Army, I trust them to do what's best with it, and it's none of my business after that. If it's a government program that I'm chipping in for against my will, then I have the right to know where every penny goes, and I also have the right to make you eat chicken and broccoli instead of lobster and Lucky Charms.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 01:03:58 PM »
I'll sound a bit hypocritical maybe, but despite my rants around here about not wanting to see a cashless society, this is one area that I want to see EVERYTHING done cashless. All purchases should be made on their card, and records kept. Not just of the individual, but in aggregate, so we know where all that money goes. Even $25 in cash is $25 too much.

Sorry, but if I'm involuntarily pulling your cart, I have a right to know where my money is going. If you don't want me to know, then seek out a private charity for help. Once I voluntarily give money to the Salvation Army, I trust them to do what's best with it, and it's none of my business after that. If it's a government program that I'm chipping in for against my will, then I have the right to know where every penny goes, and I also have the right to make you eat chicken and broccoli instead of lobster and Lucky Charms.

Well, for my part, if they want to blow their SNAP funds on lobster, frozen pizza, and Lucky Charms, let 'em.

But when they've blown through a month's worth of SNAP for a week's worth of food (and smokes, or lottery tickets, or what the **** ever they're pulling cash off the card for), they're still on their own the rest of that month. F*** 'em. Guess they're gonna lose a bunch of weight this month. Maybe they'll learn, and next month pick milk, and eggs, and chicken, and vegetables - and buy and use them INTELLIGENTLY, so they have food for the whole month  :O. Radical concept, I know.

Endanger their kids with their idiocy?  Reduce SNAP to a single allowance for the adult and let the kids be fostered by people who actually give a damn about them, because baby-momma/daddy obviously can't be trusted with the child's welfare. And that's coming from someone who hates CPS.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 01:18:24 PM »
One more reason why the "Mincome" people don't look quite so looney.

IF and ONLY IF (which of course will never happen) if your yearly stipend/income was the ONLY assistance you got. No SNAP, no Section 8 rent assistance, no SSI, no Title XXI/Medicaid etc. etc. etc.

Of course I'd prefer a Willy Wonka "YOU GET NOTHING!" system, where poor brown people and their children died in the street starving, and that I could just shoot any that got upset or froggy over it from my up-armored SUV on my way downtown to my white privilege job, but if it could be done (of course it can't) it would at least eliminate a bunch of .gov functionaries.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »

When we were on assistance, (and bear in mind that it was reduced a fair bit since I was still working part time) we could stock up 2-3 months worth of food on each month's allowance while still buying name brands on several products.  (Though as the Texans here know, HCF is better than some name brands.)  My cabinets have never been as well stocked as they were then.

I saw a plan proposed somewhere that would allow for basically three separate accounts; the food one could only be spent on wholesome foods, another necessities allowance covering things like toilet paper and other hygiene items, also limited to those items, and a small ($30-40/adult/month) allowance that could basically be spent on anything but alcohol or tobacco.  That would be in addition to having reasonable (i.e. thrift store) work clothes  and some form of child care or vouchers for same provided to those who are actually working or honestly seeking work.

I really don't mind that much if someone's getting enough welfare to buy three months worth of beans, rice, flour and cornmeal every month.  I don't mind if they want to grab a couple of TV dinners each week or a box of good cereal; they might be taking those for lunch at their part time job or rewarding their kid for good behavior with his favorite food.  I could even overlook the occasional entrepreneur overstocking ingredients, cranking up the kitchen, setting up an off-the-books food cart and earning a little income a few days a month.  (Frankly, if small business regs weren't such a PITA, most of those folks would go legit after a couple months so they wouldn't be limited by their assistance amounts and the hassle of staying under the radar.)  I do mind a lot when it's unrestricted to the point where they're buying a couple months worth of luxury foods every month, and reselling most of that so they can get cash to buy booze, smokes and drugs.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBIHZRkI7T0

When you go to the welfare office they give you 5lb bags of each plus flour and cornmeal also, per person, of the above.  (and some cooking oil)  Same with unemployment.

Or they can have these:
http://www.fmsc.org/ourfood/mannapackrice  *

That's it.   Most people wouldn't spend much time on welfare then.  If it's good enough for the poor and starving in Africa and other parts of the world, then it's good enough for our own, here.

*- From the webpage:

1.   Rice, the most widely accepted grain around the world.
   2.   Extruded soy nuggets, providing maximum protein at lowest cost.
   3.   Vitamins, minerals and a vegetarian flavoring to give growing children the critical nutritional elements they need.
   4.   Dehydrated vegetables for flavor and nutrition.

A single bag of food—which provides highly nutritious meals for six children—costs around $1.32 to produce, and 92 percent of all donations to FMSC goes directly toward the food program.

Bolding mine.

I've had some, it doesn't taste all that great (another incentive to get off welfare), but it will keep you alive and nourished.   I wanted to buy some (I was willing to pay $5.00 a bag), just so I could make some when the 14 year old decides to be a butthead.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
Scout's right.  Go back to actually giving them food  some enterprising souls will still find some way to convert that to cash, I'm sure but the idea (I thought) was temporary assistance to give nourishment, not subsidizing whatever lifestyle they are choosing.

I would bet money that in the cases of children on SNAP, the food Mom and Dad (stop laughing, there might be a Dad) buy isn't actually very nutritious, despite the supplement.  See the "obesity epidemic" on the news.  I hate to say it, but for the most part, rich kids ain't fat.

If we are going to just hand out cash, however, I honestly don't think we need to get out panties in a bunch on how it's spent.  First, .gov poking through grocery receipts is a tent that camel's nose needs to stay out of. Second, It's still a free country. People on assistance haven't actually become second class citizens, despite how infuriating the abusers are.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »
That's it.   Most people wouldn't spend much time on welfare then.  If it's good enough for the poor and starving in Africa and other parts of the world, then it's good enough for our own, here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_daily_ration

1/5th the cost of an MRE.  That should put it somewhere around $1.25/person/day.  Box them up by month (Hell, be generous and put 35 in the box just so there's no shortage on 31 day months and the recipient can feed a guest from time to time) and hand them out at the welfare office.