Author Topic: Minnesota Gun Activism 2015  (Read 13409 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Re: Minnesota Gun Activism 2015
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
Senate Passes every pro gun bill 40-23

I missed everything last night. (Thursday April 23rd) I was at work.

minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/04/23/gun-weary-senate-makes-surprise-turn-to-legalize-silencers

Strib: Minnesota Senate approves gun-silencer measure despite Dayton's veto threat

www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/301163551 A well researched pro suppressor piece by the Star Tribune's Outdoor columnist. It's very refreshing to hear something reasonable from them!

Quote from: Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance
Here's the likely process:

* The House will pass their public safety policy-and-finance omnibus bill, maybe next week.
* The Senate will send their public safety policy omnibus and public safety finance omnibus bills over to the House.
* The House will substitute their own bill and send it back.
* The Senate will reject the House replacement
* The House GOP and Senate DFL leaders will each appoint 5 members (with a majority of 3 or 4 from their own party) to the committee.

We'll keep you up to date. WE REALLY NEED CONSTITUENTS to write their own reps and senators. If you haven't signed up for our GOCRA emails, we don;t know who represents you, and we can't send you specific info.
Please sign up at gocra.mn/join if you haven't already.

Senator Latz (very anti gun) adds an agreed-upon amendment that allows county prosecutors to prosecute straw purchases, since the feds rarely do.
The Senate voted for the amendment 61-0 as expected.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 01:15:31 PM by DustinD »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »
Here is a partial copy of an email that GOCRA is sending:

Tell Governor Dayton NO VETO on Second Amendment bills
Governor Dayton is wrong: crime with legal, registered silencers is almost nonexistent, as a recent article in the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association's magazine pointed out (see the article at gocra.mn/mps).
His veto would kill four other pro-2A bills: emergency powers, capitol notification, interstate purchase, and reciprocity. (See our 2015 bill tracker for more info.)

Governor Dayton needs to hear from you, and every gun owner in the state!
Email Governor Dayton and encourage him to sign the bill when it reaches his desk

Call the governor's office and deliver the same message:
Suppressors aren't used in crime
Suppressors are already legal in 39 states, with no problems there
Suppressors aren't "silent"
Suppressors save our hearing
Governor Dayton should sign SF878/HF849 when it reaches his desk

Telephone: 651-201-3400
Toll Free: 800-657-3717
Minnesota Relay: 800-627-3529

If you haven't already, please support GOCRA with a monthly donation or membership. Our ability to be at the Capitol every day depends on your generous support!

Background:

Last week, the Minnesota Senate voted 40-23 in favor of our five pro-2A bills, with "yes" votes from all Republicans present, and 13 of 36 Democrats.
The most visible bill, HF1434, would allow Minnesota to join 39 other states that allow its citizens to legally own firearm sound suppressors — after a ridiculously thorough triple background check.
That bill passed the Minnesota House a week earlier, with a vote of 89-40, including "yes" votes from 20 House DFL members.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

- Lon Horiuchi

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
WELL DONE !!!!

I hope your governor signs it.  Even if he doesn't, sounds like you could override his veto.

And I'm truly shocked to read that in the RedStarTribune.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 03:17:42 PM »
House is going to talk about the omnibus bill soon:  SF878 (Cornish) Omnibus Public Safety and Crime Prevention Finance bill. Should not affect our bills status or anything, just letting people know it is happening and moving. The expectation is that the House will reject the Senate version.

https://events.qwikcast.tv/QwikCast/QwikCastEventById?eventKey=56ec96c7-941e-4bbb-a2c4-fd790b514e1f&eventPageId=1366

Kevin Vick owner of Crucible Arms: ALERT! I was told by the Governor's office today that they are receiving a large volume of calls asking the Governor to VETO the bill supporting your 2nd Amendment rights. We need to step up to the plate on this folks. Email and call 651 201 3400 Governor Dayton's office and urge him to SIGN SF878/HF849 when it reaches his desk! Don't assume "the other person" is going to do it for you! - Crucible Arms

I have heard the same from a few others. I think Dayton's staffers are lying to the public about the number of people opposed to it, but we should still call and be heard. 651 201 3400

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »
Running commentary for April 28th House bills.  Guns should be up soon, maybe 3:00pm or so.   Update: All of the pro gun bills are intact, none of the anti gun amendments passed.

2:25  Alcohol omnibus bill being considered. Drinking under age 21 when accompanied by a parent was rejected on a voice vote. Lots of BS arguments against Sunday sales, store hours, and so on.

2:50  Guns are up. Cornish speaking. Senate version of the omnibus being considered.

2:51  SF was amended to match the HF version, unanimous voice vote in favor.

3:13  Roll call, mostly green.

3:15  Stolen valor amendment. Would add Sgt Major (and all enlisted men) to the stolen valor law which currently only goes after those impersonating officers.

3:17  Lesch (D) wants to give that amendment a "haircut" and not have it apply to the lowest enlisted classes.

3:20-3:25  Debate on rules or order, and if the amendment is legal.

3:40   Amendment passed. Lots of angry acrimony.

3:42   Anti gun amendments up, these will be voted down.

3:43   Universal registration.

3:4X   Rep. Schoen is trying to remove the capitol carry bill THAT HE VOTED FOR, both in committee, and on the floor of the House.

3:52   Debating if anti gun amendment is out of order.

3:57   Speaker ruled against the amendment as out of order. Rep. Schoen is trying to override the speaker. Over ride is under vote, everyone required to vote. 81-50 speaker won, amendment dead. "Since we don't want to make it safer for school kids Nash withdraws the amendment" He is referring to the ban on Capitol carry when a single school kid is present.

4:00   Cornish is for an amendment by Rep Wrinkler (R) anti rape amendment, unanimous.

4:05   Hmong community, anti rape and domestic abuse.

4:10   Youth intervention funding.

4:25   Amendment would treat child prostitutes as victims and not perpetrators of crime.

4:55   I have mostly wondered off to other topics... All of the pro gun bills are intact as expected.  Right now they are talking about interest rates and such for insurance and maybe some other legal issues.

5:58   SF878 (Cornish) Omnibus Public Safety and Crime Prevention Finance bill passed 115 to 19.

5:59   SF1458 (Dean) Senate Omnibus Health and Human Services Finance bill, modified to match the HF version.
---

GOCRA update:  www.facebook.com/gocra/photos   Urging us to contact Dayton and tell him to support gun owners and suppressors. Information at the link.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:01:59 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 01:20:46 AM »
We are coming up on the end of the legislative season in MN and things are looking really good for gun owners. This committee is a very small hurdle in the process of gaining gun rights. The only obstacle that we have left is Governor Dayton's veto threat. I really think we will win this.

Below is a post from GOCRA's Facebook page:

The committee that will hear the suppressor bill (and other pro-2A measures) has been chosen.

The conference committee for SF878, the public safety.judiciary omnibus bill, will be chaired by Sen. Ron Latz, and will include the following members:

House Members:
---------------------
Tony Cornish
Jerry Hertaus
Deb Hilstrom
Brian Johnson
Kathy Lohmer

Senate Members:
---------------------
Ron Latz (Chair)
Bobby Joe Champion
Scott Dibble
Chris Eaton
David Senjem

These members will need to create a compromise bill from the House and Senate versions.

While the bills are very different, the gun rights provisions are almost identical. We don't expect them to be modified significantly by the committee.

We are on the right track: all five House members have supported all of our provisions.

While four of the Senate members have poor records when it comes to Second Amendment rights, they SHOULD have no reason to alter the near-identical provisions.

That means that the biggest obstacle is the governor.

Please CALL the governor's office and RESPECTFULLY ask him to sign the suppressor bill when it gets to his desk:

Telephone: 651-201-3400
Toll Free: 800-657-3717
Minnesota Relay: 800-627-3529

Then, use our free tool to send him a RESPECTFUL email asking him to reconsider his intention to veto a suppressor bill:

Form email Dayton

Please do it now, then share with your friends!

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
---  May 6th  ---

The conference committee meets today. I believe they will meet again tomorrow. Hopefully the gun bills stay intact, we are expecting that they will. GOCRA has a few of their leaders there.

www.facebook.com/gocra/photos   The conference committee will start soon. I will keep this post updated with edits.

~2:00 PM  Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance reports that "An hour and a half in, still reading over the financial differences between the bills."

Quote from: GOCRA @ ~3:20 PM
The conference committee has now reviewed differences in the public safety policy provisions. This is our group of bills.

The House and Senate versions of the gun-related portions are pretty much the same. The were no questions from committee members; we expect that they'll be quickly agreed upon when the committee comes back to them.

7:30 PM  No more updates yet, other than the alternator in my car died. :( At least it wasn't something more expensive.

www.leg.state.mn.us/calandar  has .PDF files of comparisons of the House and Senate versions of several bills in the omnibus bill.
SF878 Art. 3 Public Safety side-by-side (PDF) is the link to our bills.

Anti gun Rep Ron Erhardt (DFL-Edina) is worried that he may have caught bird flu from turkeys, strange as hell video of him on the House floor.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TtRxEZ9vqI  He previously threatened to blow the head off of a GOCRA volunteer who called him to ask if he received our survey.

---  May 7th  ---

GOCRA has 3 (I think) people who have camped out room 400s since noon today. Today's meeting starts 15 minutes after the main session ends. There are only 34 seats, and they have all been claimed.

Update from GOCRA: The Senate went long; there will be no conference committee tonight. We'll be back tomorrow to hurry up and wait some more.

Seems like GOCRA camped out for over five hours.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:44:09 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »
May 8th

From GOCRA 11:30AM Today's conference committee hearing will start after the House and Senate have both adjourned, so we're monitoring...

Dustin's comment: The opposition hasn't been to any of these meetings, and haven't shown up to most of the legislative process. Only the most important hearings.

GOCRA and MNGOPAC are pushing the "call .gov Dayton" thing hard, and their petition that will be delivered to him. Details on their Facebook page. This might be the last day of the omnibus hearings. The only obstacle left is Dayton's threat to veto.

Edit to add:   According to Latz (anti gun (D) committee chair) They _might_ get to some policy on monday, but they want to get through the budget. No news to report from today's meeting.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:42:19 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 02:36:06 PM »
May 12th

No real progress has been made. The soft deadline for the omnibus bills is Monday 18th of May.

From GOCRA's Facebook page:  
Today's conference committee meeting is canceled. While we don't mind the day off, we'd rather that our public servants get on with it.

The Senate members are holding the policy portions hostage, refusing to vote on them until the budget work is done. This is larger than gun policy, and even larger than public safety issues -- it's a power struggle between the GOP-controlled House and the DFL-controlled Senate.

From the NRA's website:  Minnesota: Your Second Amendment Rights Might be Lost to Political Barter  I think they are being a bit dramatic, but it is best to contact our reps anyway.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:32:10 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 04:36:15 PM »
May 16th
We Won! Public Safety Omnibus Bill headed to the two Houses for final vote, and then to the governor's desk.

ACTION ALERT

The bipartisan gun rights legislation that has passed both houses by a huge majority is being held up in the conference committee over unrelated items.

Please take a few minutes and call Speaker Kurt Daudt (R) and Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk (DFL) and tell them that your rights aren't up for negotiation - send the bi-partisan pro-gun bills to the Governor for his signature.

Speaker Daudt: 651-296-5364
Senator Bakk: 651-296-8881

From Rob Doar A leader of MNGOPAC, former vice president of GOCRA:  "Please call, email, and share. Trust me, it matters, and is needed right away."

Edit to add: NRA invites legislators and media out to shoot suppressors.
http://www.nranews.com/cam/video/cam-and-company-2015-chris-w-cox-josh-waldron-education-the-key-to-suppressor-success/list/recent-segments

5:50 PM    Finally, it looks like the public safety conference committee is going to meet...after the conference committee on license plate readers. Could be another long night.
We have heard that the stalemate on felon voting has been broken, so we are asking all parties to move quickly to pass the agreed-upon Second Amendment language.

7:30 PM
Quote from: MNGOPAC
Political Director Rob Doar is at the State Capitol for what we hope is the final conference committee hearing for the Omnibus Public Safety Bill that contains the four gun rights provisions that we support.
Keep the pressure up by calling Speaker Kurt Daudt and Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk - see details below on our Facebook page.

10:50 PM 
UPDATE: The public safety omnibus conference committee, which may finally take up our bill tonight, will meet at around 11:30.

But first, we get to wait for SF86 (license plate readers) to be heard in the same room. MN State Representative Dan Schoen is the warmup act, working the crowd, and even threatening to sing a duet with data privacy advocate Rich Neumeister (http://opensecretsmn.blogspot.com/).

It's another wild Saturday night of Second Amendment activism! — with Simon Gottlieb, Danny Schoen and Tony Cornish.

11:15 PM   Andrew Rothman: "The duet never materialized; the 10:30 LPR hearing started promptly at 11:00 PM."

11:20 PM 
Quote from: Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee
YOU DID IT!
The Speaker and Senate Majority Leader heard loud and clear all evening long from PAC supporters that our Second Amendment rights aren't up for negotiation.
The Conference Committee is expected to reconvene later tonight - or tomorrow morning - and pass through the Omnibus Public Safety Bill with all gun rights provisions intact.
We'll provide further updates as the evening (morning?) progresses. MNGOPAC Political Director Rob Doar is at the State Capitol ensuring that the pro-gun provisions stick.

May 17th Committee still going after midnight.

12:30 AM Rob Doar:  "Senator Champion upset that house bill format beat senate ‪#‎mnleg‬ policy and financial omnibus."

12:40 AM Rob Doar:  "Sen. Champion working hard to try and find foul play for policy he lost. ‪#‎mnleg‬"

1:02 AM Rob Doar:   "Going over budget items: TL:DR were spending a metric Crap ton of money on public safety ‪#‎mnleg‬"

1:08 AM Rob Doar:   "Budget items unanimously accepted. Onto policy ‪#‎mnleg‬"

1:15 AM Rob Doar:   "Sen. Champion moving to remove "NRA provisions". ‪#‎mnleg"‬

Vote to remove suppressors from omnibus: ‪#‎mnleg‬
No:
Cornish
Latz
Eaton
Hillstrom
Johnson
Lohmer
Senjem
Yes:
Champion
Dibble

1:20 AM Rob Doar: "We're all done. Public Safety omnibus on way to #mnleg houses for confirmation then on to governor."

The conference committee just passed SF878, including ALL of our pro-2A provisions:
The next step will be a brief stop in the House and the Senate, where the bills should pass again with no problem.
Then, it's off to the governor.
Have you emailed him yet?
gocra.mn/DaytonSuppressor
Our bills included in the omnibus are:
* Suppressor Legalization
* Emergency Powers
* Capitol Carry Notification
* Interstate Sales of Long Guns
* Carry Reciprocity
Support the group that supports your rights at gocra.mn/join

Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee
www.mngopac.org
www.facebook.com/mngopac

Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance
www.gocra.org
www.facebook.com/gocra
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:53:05 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
We won! The omnibus is headed to the governor. Call and email the governor to make sure he signs the bill.

6:20  Some very loud protests in the Capitol building. Illegals want drivers licenses. Not a very clean looking crowd.

6:30  I am at the Capitol senate observation area. Our bill is being discussed, Latz (DFL, very anti-gun) is up.

Latz is stating that there were no trades as to what was passed and not passed in the conference committee. The only things passed were bills that both bodies passed. Many are accusing people of not passing felon voting restoration out of the conference committee, but Latz keeps stating that they didn't because only one body passed that bill. All of the bills that were only passed from one body died, all of the bills that both bodies passed lived.

6:45  Discussing funding for the courts. He supports the bill, thinks it should be voted on even though it doesn't have everything that they want.

7:00  Passed 55-9

7:05  I am in the house gallery now.

7:18  House called to order. Our bill is being reported, re the senates passage.

7:21  Cornish is talking about what did and did not making it out of committee.

7:29  The protests are now so loud that they are drowning out the room's audio of the reps. Hopefully the mics sound better than the ambient noise on tv.

7:30  Former prosecutor talking about felon voting. He is in favor of it.

7:35  Dean is now talking about felon voting. It is gaining support over time in this state. No amendments can happen on bills that have already passed conference committee, he is just giving a speech and running the clock.

7:43  Dean is laying on the race baiting and accusations. Saying that we shouldn't be afraid of minorities. Harping on race and felons and probation. Laying it on thick. It was a good speech before that.

7:46  Moving on to money.

7:48  Several things mentioned, including felon voting in exchange for suppressors and the governor's threat to veto if we got ours and he didn't get his.

8:03  Cornish up, roll call, getting ready for the vote. Cornish is calling out Dean. Dean made requests of the committee and received them, then voted against it. Cornish did well. Said many were asked to vote no because felon voting failed, he is asking for them to vote for the omnibus despite that.

8:06  Roll call passed with only a few no votes.

8:10  Restraints being worn in court by juveniles, a rep wants them to not be worn. Cornish said it was too much of a stretch from were they are now, and that juveniles can pose a large threat.

8:14  Omnibus bill passed. 116 to 15. Recessed.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:13:34 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »
May 18th: This post will document MNGOPAC's MN Gun Owners Political Action Committee's and GOCRA's Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance's efforts to get Governor Dayton to sign the Public Safety Omnibus Bill into law.

MNGOPAC is launching radio adds and an online effort to urge the governor to sign the bill. They are spending money raised in the last few weeks towards the effort.

Youtube video they made

www.mngopac.org/petition   Petition urging the governor to sign.

The previously mentioned protesters are back at it today. Here is a picture of the protest in favor of illegal aliens getting drivers licenses.

Free civics lesson: If the House and Senate are about to adjourn for the year in less than six hours as per the MN constitution, and the transportation bill you are interested in amending has already been through a conference committee, then it is impossible to add your wishes to the final bill.

MNGOPAC is dropping off the signatures from the petition. They have a bit over 3000. The opposition claims to have over 500 (edit: This number has gone up, but our side has chosen to not make it official), many may be from out of state though.

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/blog/ has a post up about MN getting the governor to sign.
Vista Outdoor posted a copy of their letter to the governor. They support it.

10:00 PM  Governor Dayton gives us an update: From Eric Lucero (Wright County, R, very pro gun and freedom, also my rep)
Quote from: Eric's copy of an email from Dayton
***ALERT***
• Minutes ago I received an official email from the "Office of Governor Mark Dayton & Lt. Governor Tina Smith"
• Absolutely no joke, below is the unedited text of the beginning of the email. The title of the email is "Governor Dayton Calls for universal Half-day Pre-K Investment," but text of the email begins by speaking about drinking water! An incoherent email from our Governor...
ST. PAUL, MN – Governor Mark Dayton held a news conference yesterday regarding the need for legislation funding universal half-day pre-Kindergarten this session.
“I'm doing what I believe is the best for Minnesota. Again, this is not about who gets wins and losses – and gets their number one priority or anything else. This is about what's right for Minnesota. This is what's best for people who have got to drink the water. Right now, it's declining in quality all over the state as both the Department of Health and Pollution Control Agency have documented in the last couple weeks.
“This is about four-year-olds and their parents and giving them a better chance in life. And giving kids from disadvantaged backgrounds a chance in life. That's what I'm fighting for. I'm fighting for the kids of Minnesota. I'm fighting for the parents of Minnesota. I'm fighting for the parents of those kids. I'm fighting for the people who need to drink quality water and think they are but will be horribly shocked that they're not. That's what I'm fighting for.

Remember that the Legislature ends for the year at midnight. Only tangentially related, but it might give some hints as to when the governor will sign stuff. Also it is important to know if everything gets done that must get done.

10:30  House passed the .gov funding bill.

10:53  Senate called to order.
10:54  Under call.
10:55  Sgt at Arms is going to drag people in.

11:00  House on the legacy finance bill, Senate doing jobs, energy, finance.
    Senate recessed after the vote for about a half hour.
10:57  Omnibus ag bill going.

11:37  The Senate was recessed for a while but is back. They are rushing, the House is BSing. The Senate is trying to rush through the Economic Dev and Energy bill.

11:47  In the Senate: Net metering might be scaled back. No one has even read the bill, many are complaining about having to vote on a bill without being able to read it.
11:48  Looks like that is happening.

11:56  Senate is breaking down. The speaker just said $#!T. An amendment was flip flopping after the vote was closed and it went from losing by one, to winning by one vote.

11:58  Energy passed barely.
11:59  House went crazy, voice amendment to match senate, nothing but crazy shouting.
11:59  A real vote, landslide approval of the bill.
12:00  Tons of crazy yelling in the House.
12:00  More crazy voice vote BS regarding whether to adjourn. I am surprised they can get away with that.
12:01  Senate still going, passed a bill after midnight.
12:02  Senate adjourned.
12:03  A nice speech about the history of the Senate.
12:16  Speech over, it was good, lots of history. I am guessing unless there is a veto that is it for the House and Senate for the year.

May 19th

GOCRA and mnguntalk are the subject of a DDoS from Russia. GOCRA seems to have a good theory as to who is behind it.

From Rob Doar Political Director at MNGOPAC: The bills arrived on the governor's desk withing the last few hours. He has until Friday if he wishes to act.

Rob Doar: Dayton presser at 2:00PM Should have some news then.

NPR and the Star Tribune both said he's signing everything except the education bill. We won't know for sure until the press conference, or possibly even the actual signing.

2:12 Education vetoed.
   Press conference has started, education will be vetoed once he gets it. Talking about his reasons. He wants mandatory pre kindergarten, and money for poor people.

2:19 Still on education, mainly pre-K.

2:21 Q&A He claims he hasn't seen the bills yet. Will wait until up to midnight Friday to decide if he will sign or veto.

2:25 Dayton blaming everyone else, especially Republicans for the veto and the special session.

2:40 Rob Doar: Fun Fact: NEITHER the House (GOP controlled) or the Senate (DFL controlled) voted to fund Univ PreK ?#?mnleg? H/T @JimNashMN47A

2:41 Gov Dayton made a joke about the last minute and a half of the House session. He watched it on youtube. Both the House and Senate broke down in the last few minutes. It's kind of good if you are used to watching their boring proceedings.

2:45 gov Dayton: They hate the public schools, the Republican leadership. Because they prove everything they say about the schools is wrong.
He is really going at the Republicans now. Blaming daycare centers for Pre-K failing. He claims the daycare lobby had a part in his plans failure.

2:53  Dayton is attacking superintendents and others for his Pre-K plan failing. Seems no one likes the idea.

2:56  Press conference is ending. He falsely claimed a few times to have not been presented with bills he (or at least his people) have been presented with. I guess we will know by midnight Friday if he signs or vetoes. Firearms did not get a mention.
http://video.startribune.com/livestream-gov-dayton-news-conference-on-2015-session-2-p-m/175907151/ link to conference.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:59:17 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 03:11:27 PM »
May 20th:

GOCRA wants people to call and write the governor daily until the governor makes a decision. gocra.mn/sign878 The governor says he will make his decision Friday, possibly Friday night.

I doubt much will happen today or tomorrow. Most of the people pushing for this are celebrating early. Many are forming trusts and getting ready to submit their forms.

I emailed TTAG early Tuesday morning with some info, they are going to make a post about the MN gun rights fight this evening.

Update 8:00 PM: TTAG posted my email. I thought they would just read it for ideas but instead they posted most of it as written. The whole world has a link to this thread now.
Link to TTAG article:  Will Minnesota’s Governor Shut Down the Government Over Silencers?

Updated Thursday morning: As it turns out Dayton was only officially presented with the bill Wednesday the 20th. He has until Saturday to sign, veto, or let it become law without him. I am not sure why it took the bill that long to be "officially" presented to him.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:02:29 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
So just to clarify, the governor is only threatening to veto an education bill and it would appear that your public safety bill will be signed (or at least not vetoed).

Is that correct?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »
He more or less has vetoed the education bill, not sure if he literally put pen to paper on it yet or not though.

He is only threatening for now to veto our bill, but he has been waffling. The removal of suppressor CLEO shall sign, and the addition of the two anti gun-crime provisions were mentioned as positives by Dayton, as well as other provisions in the bill that he likes.

May 21 Thursday

F rated Ryan Winkler (D) Author of gun control legislation resigns so that he can move with his wife to Germany. The look on Dayton's face is priceless.

I found the list of bills waiting to be signed. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/laws/?view=session&year=2015&type=0

Chapter 63 HF1725  May 20, 2015   Electronic filing for hearings in contested cases at the Office of Administrative Hearings permitted.
Chapter 64 HF1257  May 20, 2015   Responsible contractor law provisions changed.
Chapter 65 SF878    May 20, 2015   Our bill
Education is chapter 72. Presented Wednesday the 20th. The bills can be signed or vetoed in any order.

So nothing controversial in between him and our bill, the fun starts after ours is dealt with. Our bill will be signed/vetoed as soon as he starts dealing with bills again.

Dayton has officially vetoed the education bill. No action taken on any other bills today.
From www.startribune.com/dayton-follows-through-on-veto-threat-rejecting-education-budget-bill
Dayton will meet with House GOP leadership on Tuesday to begin negotiations over the pending special session. The DFL governor said Wednesday that the scope of the special session will be narrow, and he hasn't yet indicated whether he might veto other budget bills that he is reviewing.

From http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/politics/3750368-promised-dayton-vetoes-17-billion-minnesota-education-funding-bill
The governor made no decisions on the other budget bills on his desk. Some interest groups have urged him to veto the agriculture and environment budget. Dayton has until Saturday to sign or veto the budget bills, or let them become law without his signature.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:37:30 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 11:02:51 AM »
May 22 Friday    We Won!!  He signed the bill into law!

6:00 AM  "The governor is still weighing possible vetoes on other segments of the state's budget. He has until Saturday to make up his mind."
   http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/05/22/dayton-vetoes-education-bill

11:25 AM  We Won!! Dayton signed the bill!!

Suppressors will be legal July 1st.

Mitch Berg (Shot in the Dark blog, and Liberty Radio): "Success has 1000 fathers. Heather is an orphan." Referring to Heather Martens, the leader of ProtectMN.

Overheard on Facebook:
Rob Doar (Political Director at MNGOPAC):  We wouldn't have gotten anything without the NRA.
Mitch Berg: Rob – I assume you're being on the level, and not sarcastic – but was their assistance seriously that important?
Bryan Strawser: Yes.
Rob Doar: Absolutely. Without Tom Bakk's relationship with the NRA, there would have been no action on the pro gun bills in the senate.

Good news: The ban on possession of suppressors in Minnesota ends on July 1, not August 1.

(Gory details: most laws take effect August 1, unless otherwise specified in the law, but appropriations bills take effect July 1 unless otherwise specified.)

Here are all of the effective dates:

July 1:
Suppressor ban ends
Capitol carry notification rules change
Carry permit recognition standards change*

August 1:
Emergency Powers provision takes effect
Ban on hunting with suppressors ends

1:00 AM I just got back from the victory celebration. On the agenda for next year is constitutional carry, and the Saturday Night Special Law. That's actually what the law calls it. I don't normally play the race card... but that's racist.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:47:11 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi