Author Topic: You planned to fly from where to where in what?  (Read 7489 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: You planned to fly from where to where in what?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »
Just how much of a Cirrus SR22's fuel system is accessible in flight?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 06:31:29 PM »

I'm going to go with "The tank selector, mixture control, and axillary fuel pump switch, and that's about it" for $800, Alex.

Here's a Cirrus cockpit view.

Notice there's not much room at all to move around in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nmuwcr8Clg&x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: You planned to fly from where to where in what?
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »
Depends.

Do you have your cordless sawzall with you?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »
That's a long time in the air in a flying gas can, where you can't get up, walk around and stretch their legs.

Depends.

I guess that'd be one solution...
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 05:40:11 AM »
You aint kiddin. SPecially at my size

Those ballistic parachutes are neat-o

COME ON MEGAMILLIONS

Neat-o my butt. I used to have to pass through my unit's paraloft a lot. One day they skipped a step in testing a barometric release on an ejection seat component and bounced its steel op-rod off over several walls. Dismay was expressed that it narrowly missed the head of the resident E-7, yes, they really did not like her. The missed step was hey stupid! Remove the CAD! Boldface warnings +eleventy!!! 

Yeah. About a week later I had to stop in and they had a ballistic spreader laying out. From that point on i made excuses to not be there if such work was on-going, not down with the idea of a chunk of steel going through me and taking the shroud line with it.

So neat to see deploy from a distance maybe. I really despise working around any of it though.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »

Of the main system, none, but the problem was with the ferry tank, which is installed in the cabin. I would bet the tanks and supply lines were right next to the pilot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »

That depends; how brave are you?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »
Depends.

Do you have your cordless sawzall with you?

Plus if you're moving about the cabin, in a small plane you're changing the CG. What's going to happen when you trim from the pilot's seat, and then a twelfth of the weight in the aircraft shifts aft several feet and is moving around?

Of the main system, none, but the problem was with the ferry tank, which is installed in the cabin. I would bet the tanks and supply lines were right next to the pilot.

Which still leaves the problem of routing a new line into the mains, if the ferry tanks aren't feeding to... somewhere in the fuel system. Where is the feed problem? Is it the accessible part, or not?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 01:38:37 PM »
Plus if you're moving about the cabin, in a small plane you're changing the CG. What's going to happen when you trim from the pilot's seat, and then a twelfth of the weight in the aircraft shifts aft several feet and is moving around?

Well, if one of the ferry tanks hauling several hours' fuel is still full, there's a big chunk of weight that isn't going anywhere until you get that problem fixed.  At any rate, you're moving rearward, so encouraging a nose-up attitude, but you're probably not going far enough to change W&B to the point of a cruise-power stall, given that most of the accessible cabin rear of the front seats should be full of tanks. 

Which still leaves the problem of routing a new line into the mains, if the ferry tanks aren't feeding to... somewhere in the fuel system. Where is the feed problem? Is it the accessible part, or not?

That depends largely on the design of the ferry tanks. A well designed arrangement would put as much as possible of the hardware directly behind, if not actually between the front seats.  Making it accessible and manually controlled would also reduce weight compared to a bunch of solenoids and control circuitry, and weight savings should also be a key consideration in designing ferry tanks for aircraft.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »
Making it accessible and manually controlled would also reduce weight compared to a bunch of solenoids and control circuitry, and weight savings should also be a key consideration in designing ferry tanks for aircraft.

Question, if you include a manual pump, how much of a workout would it have been for the guy to keep pumping it into the main tanks?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »
Question, if you include a manual pump, how much of a workout would it have been for the guy to keep pumping it into the main tanks?

Considering the main tanks are under pretty much everywhere you could put a ferry tank, why pump at all?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 05:32:12 PM »
Considering the main tanks are under pretty much everywhere you could put a ferry tank, why pump at all?

Apparently because the gravity  flow route from the ferry tanks has stopped working?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »
Apparently because the gravity  flow route from the ferry tanks has stopped working?

Siphon.  Or replace the kinked/clogged/whatever line.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2015, 06:58:39 PM »

*googles Cirrus SR22*

Yeah, that shouldn't take much effort to get into the proper tanks.  I was posting while picturing it to be like a Cessna. 

I think that if I was hooking up 'ferry tanks', I'd have at least 2 fuel lines going into each tank.  Gravity fed, with a pump option.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »
So, i had my first real lesson today.

Glad we had this thread.  Saved my life, fo real

No *expletive deleted*it, there I was...

Took off from Grand Prairie, turned left for a downwind departure and flew past Joe Pool lake.

Right about then, engine started sputtering. Luckily after reading this thread, I had my sawzall.

So, while the instructor was pissing and moaning about following procedure and landing in a field, i said "aw hell nah" and climbed onto the wing.

An eagle came down from the sky carrying an AR 15, high fived me, then held the plane in a stable attitude while I rerouted fuel. The instructor objected to cutting into the floor and I didn't want to hear it, so I threw him out of the plane. But not before I tore out some of his intestines to use as replacement fuel line

True story
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:38:59 PM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »
I threw him out of the plane.

THIS IS SPARTACESSNA!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »

Took off from Grand Prairie, turned left for a downwind departure and flew past Joe Pool lake.

Right about then, engine started sputtering. Luckily after reading this thread, I had my sawzall.

So, while the instructor was pissing and moaning about following procedure and landing in a field, i said "aw hell nah" and climbed onto the wing.

An eagle came down from the sky carrying an AR 15, high fived me, then held the plane in a stable attitude while I rerouted fuel. The instructor objected to cutting into the floor and I didn't want to hear it, so I threw him out of the plane. But not before I tore out some of his intestines to use as replacement fuel line

True story

:lol:

Is no coincidence that the very best stories all start with No *expletive deleted*it..
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »

True story

You have won the internet for the day.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.