Author Topic: Looks like Oregon Governor Kitzhaber is going down  (Read 1113 times)

Regolith

• friend
Looks like Oregon Governor Kitzhaber is going down
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »
Came out today that he tried to destroy emails (IRS anybody?) just before a state criminal probe was to be opened into his fiance's shady dealings...and while there were active FBI and civil investigations.

He was rumored to be stepping down, but the apparently decided against it. Now the Oregon Speaker of the House and Senate President are both asking for him to resign, and they're members of his own party. Not looking good for him.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-32827-gov_john_kitzhabers_office_sought_to_destroy_thousands_of_his_emails.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/02/john_kitzhaber_planned_to_resi.html
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
Re: Looks like Oregon Governor Kitzhaber is going down
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »
Maybe he'll end up as a cellmate to one of Illinois' former governors . . .  :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:09:14 PM »
It's not as if the Democrats can afford to lose any more governors.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 11:15:01 PM »
Do you guys have a chance at getting a good Governor to take his place?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:21:27 PM »

Not too hopeful on that count. His replacement would be the Secretary of State, another Democrat. I don't know much about her, but around here, it's unlikely she's much of a moderate.  I think there will probably be a special election at some point, but the other Democrats are working hard to distance themselves from him, so it might not be enough to tar them all, which means it could still be an uphill battle for any Republican running to replace him. Maybe not quite as steep of one, though.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
Stick a fork in him; he's done: Kitzhaber resigns effective next week.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
It's about damn time.  Good riddance.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 12:48:06 AM »

Apparently the next in line, the Secretary of State, is a bi-sexual progressive of the highest order.  Probably a downgrade from Kitzhaber, which takes some doing.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 05:51:49 PM »
the main truth to take from this, is that folks go into politics for various reasons, but if they stay in office, they all succumb to the lure of easy money.  No politician leaves office with less net worth then when they took office.