Author Topic: Obama and mandatory voting  (Read 6840 times)

zahc

• friend
Obama and mandatory voting
« on: March 19, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politics/obama-mandatory-voting/

"The people who tend not to vote are young, they're lower income, they're skewed more heavily towards immigrant groups and minority groups," Obama said. "There's a reason why some folks try to keep them away from the polls."

discuss.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Obama and mandatory voting
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
An obvious ploy to hike up the progressive vote.  
It won't happen.
I don't approve of it.

There IS one circumstance I would approve of it.  Just one:
That concurrent with the introduction of this law (which would really have to be an amendment to the Constitution) there would, on every ballot in every election, under every choice for public office, be added the following choice:
□ NONE OF THE ABOVE.
--And, that none of the contenders for the office where "none" won could ever run for any public office, anywhere.
 [tinfoil]
But we all know THAT ain't about to happen! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
I'm all for it as long as voting day is moved to the day after tax day.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:52:28 PM »
Make it write in only, not multiple choice.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 08:02:56 PM »
Require a quiz before voting, with the voter having to know who the VP, senate majority leader, house speaker, and various cabinet members are.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »
Three words:

Low. Information. Voters.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:04:07 PM »

"The people who tend not to vote are young, they're lower income, they're skewed more heavily towards immigrant groups and minority groups," Obama said. "There's a reason why some folks try to keep them away from the polls."
That quote defines people who don't pay attention to politics and are less likely to make an educated vote.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:09:56 PM »
Three words:

Low. Information. Voters.

By and large that defines who is currently voting.

Making voting mandatory will bring in a slew of voters who are even at a lower tier.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »
He's talking about the illegal immigrant voters.
"It's good, though..."

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
Require a quiz before voting, with the voter having to know who the VP, senate majority leader, house speaker, and various cabinet members are.

^this
Along with if your tax liability is zero or you get a refund because your a welfare critter....you cannot vote.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 09:52:36 PM »

I bet the political landscape would drastically change if you required a quiz as simple as matching any presidential candidate with their VP running mate. I bet that would eliminate 75% of low information voters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 10:25:54 PM »
^this
Along with if your tax liability is zero or you get a refund because your a welfare critter....you cannot vote.

Excuse me? I don't think I appreciate that.

There's tons of people who don't pay direct income taxes but are good citizens just like yourself.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 10:58:44 PM »

Sounds a lot like the old Jim Crow laws on voting.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:17 PM »
I'm all for it as long as voting day is moved to the day after tax day.

Nope.  Same Day.  You pay all (Property, Local, State, and Federal) Taxes.  To each taxing body.  They each have a rep right there in a long line of tables.  You write a check to the School District, County Board, City Board, Pension Fund, State and Feds.  Did I mention, there's no, zero, zip, nada withholding?  Right there, in full.  No EITC or other refundable tax credits.  (We'd obviously have to have a flat tax), then and only then are you handed a ballot and sent into the voting booth.

I bet we'd have balanced budgets and no debt at every level.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 11:25:50 PM »
Sounds a lot like the old Jim Crow laws on voting.

It actually sounds nothing like them at all.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »

It actually sounds nothing like them at all.

Taking a test and having to pass before you can vote? That was part of the Jim Crow voting laws.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 11:39:30 PM »
Nope.  Same Day.  You pay all (Property, Local, State, and Federal) Taxes.  To each taxing body.  They each have a rep right there in a long line of tables.  You write a check to the School District, County Board, City Board, Pension Fund, State and Feds.  Did I mention, there's no, zero, zip, nada withholding?  Right there, in full.  No EITC or other refundable tax credits.  (We'd obviously have to have a flat tax), then and only then are you handed a ballot and sent into the voting booth.

As we've often discussed in the past, I'm right there with you, but was too lazy to write it all out again.  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 11:41:27 PM »
Taking a test and having to pass before you can vote? That was part of the Jim Crow voting laws.

Oh. It must be the same, then. You sure told me.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 11:49:17 PM »

Oh. It must be the same, then. You sure told me.

Sounds like is different that is the same. Were you born an punk or did you acquire that skillset?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 11:51:36 PM »
Sounds like is different that is the same. Were you born an punk or did you acquire that skillset?

I thought personal attacks (like calling people punks) were against the rules.

Equating people with white supremacists, however, is not forbidden. So you're OK, there.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 12:08:22 AM »
It's really impossible to come up with a reasonable voting cutoff.

If there is voting, everyone should be doing it, or as close to everyone as feasible.

Certainly I think that voting standards in the US are already too restrictive.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 12:16:41 AM »
It's really impossible to come up with a reasonable voting cutoff.

If there is voting, everyone should be doing it, or as close to everyone as feasible.

Certainly I think that voting standards in the US are already too restrictive.

Can you describe, briefly, your ideal voting scheme?

I would say every adult who cares enough to make it to the polls on their own steam should vote. I think they only things I'd change would be restore voting rights to former felons (after they serve stiff sentences, for actual crimes); and at the cultural level, we'd stop encouraging every Tom, Dick, and Harry to vote.

And obviously, voter registration would involve the issuance of free photo ID, if the voter has nothing else. No political entity would be barred from requiring photo ID for their elections.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:19:49 AM by fistful »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 12:22:30 AM »
My ideal voting scheme ?

Ignoring total pie-in-the sky scenarios that I do for sci-fi writing:

I would make it legal for every citizen of the country that is not mentally demented, and who is at least 16 years old (I don't know any precedent of younger people than this being allowed to vote), to be able to vote either in person or by absentee ballot. I would also make it legal for the same people to get elected for as many offices as practicable, and make as many offices directly electable, as is practicable.

Israel allows prison inmates to vote (and in one case even let a prison inmate run, though not for an Israeli office), but that is not practicable in the US because the US voting system is based on precincts and districts.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 07:00:19 AM »
I would also make it legal for the same people to get elected for as many offices as practicable, and make as many offices directly electable, as is practicable.

I would go the other way, by repealing Amendment 17, and leaving the electoral college in place.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 11:02:58 AM »
Too many folks with no skin in the game already vote.  No need to increase the ability of the FSA to get gov't agents to do their dirty work and steal form the productive.

Sounds reasonable.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton