Author Topic: Obama and mandatory voting  (Read 6841 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Obama and mandatory voting
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »
. . .
There IS one circumstance I would approve of it.  Just one:
That concurrent with the introduction of this law (which would really have to be an amendment to the Constitution) there would, on every ballot in every election, under every choice for public office, be added the following choice:
□ NONE OF THE ABOVE.
--And, that none of the contenders for the office where "none" won could ever run for any public office, anywhere.
 . . .
How about "None of the Above" being automatically entered as the choice of registered voters who don't actually show up to vote? With the major parties (rather than the taxpayers) having to pay for the next election as their penalty for failing to put forth candidates worth voting for?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 02:10:35 PM »
What is it with Obama always thinking he can force people to do stuff?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »
Liz, I , and a few others had an epic argument with some libtard about this issue the other day. it devolved fairly quickly.

The tolerant leftist quickly retreated to "you people can't be reasoned with" and "you would criticize obama EVEN IF HE gave you a million dollars from the treasury!"

To which i snarkily replied "Well yes, because in addition to being fiscally irresponsible, that would not be a constitutional use of his power as president"
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »
Didn't the courts rule on those poll taxes and tests?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 10:05:18 PM »
Didn't the courts rule on those poll taxes and tests?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

But the Republicans have an awful new test! They want people to prove they have a face!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 10:51:26 PM »
I would make it legal for every citizen of the country that is not mentally demented, and who is at least 16 years old (I don't know any precedent of younger people than this being allowed to vote)

Why 16?  The immature already have the vote.  The only reason I agree with the age being 18 is it's the age we consider people "of age" and suitable for compulsory military service. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 01:05:56 AM »
Why 16?  The immature already have the vote.  The only reason I agree with the age being 18 is it's the age we consider people "of age" and suitable for compulsory military service. 

Yeah, pretty much. 18 is generally considered legal adult-hood. Drinking and CCW ages in some states notwithstanding.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 06:32:10 AM »
Liz, I , and a few others had an epic argument with some libtard about this issue the other day. it devolved fairly quickly.

The tolerant leftist quickly retreated to "you people can't be reasoned with" and "you would criticize obama EVEN IF HE gave you a million dollars from the treasury!"

To which i snarkily replied "Well yes, because in addition to being fiscally irresponsible, that would not be a constitutional use of his power as president"

I'm not sure that actually became epic until the idiot with more picitinny than sense showed up, but yeah, fighting with that moron was certainly an eye opener, which really isn't helpful when it's one in the morning and you actually need to be sleeping.

It didn't devolve into "you people can't be reasoned with11!1!1"
It started there.

Here's Fitz, innocently mocking our President, and me, throwing him an assist, when along comes irate liberal troll, out for blood.

Ultimately, the idiot in question "admitted" that it would be unconstitutional, but was still mad at us for criticizing our Great and Wonderful Oz for even bringing it up because "it was a good idea to at least think about for improving our country" or some rot like that.
I still don't think he actually understood why it was in direct conflict with the first amendment.

I'm still slightly steamed that an American President and someone who is supposedly a Constitutional Scholar dismissed the idea, not on a fundamental philosophical level (because, correct me if I'm wrong, but you know, free speech, pretty basic building block of our whole country, right?) but because of the impractically of legally implementing it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds