Author Topic: Get ready for a massive propaganda war  (Read 6915 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Get ready for a massive propaganda war
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
The American Rifleman warned in the September 2015 issue (page 18) that we are entering an extremely well-financed statistical war with the anti-gunners and decried the cherry-picking of numbers that are and will be distorted by the antis.

Quite some years ago the NRA published a list of "lies," with specific counter-arguments to each one.  I expect they will do this again in the near future.

You can expect a deluge of cherry-picked "statistics" to be forthcoming from the antis.

This pro-gun bit of "propaganda" is interesting and amusing. Ya want ya statistics?  I gotcha statistics right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:45:06 PM by 230RN »

zahc

• friend
Re: Get ready for a massive propaganda war
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »
I agree that "it's not (just) the guns" but let's not forget that Plano is among the most affluent, and in terms of median income is actually the most affluent citiy in America. I think that's driving the 0.4 murder rate versus e.g. Chicago, but that causal link is not convenient for the left because it gets in the way of demonizing the rich and also the demographics don't line up with their grand society visions either.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:41:02 PM »
Why you had to use that particular expression I don't know. (SADShooter searches frantically for brain bleach.)

That said, another tidbit: When people think of school violence they think of Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook, with Va. Tech having the largest death toll at 33.

They don't consider this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

So, what is the largest act of school violence in U.S. history? A bombing. In 1927.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
Why you had to use that particular expression I don't know. (SADShooter searches frantically for brain bleach.)

That said, another tidbit: When people think of school violence they think of Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook, with Va. Tech having the largest death toll at 33.

So, what is the largest act of school violence in U.S. history? A bombing. In 1927.

I maintain that the mass murderers choose their form of weapon based on what they think will inspire the most fear, not the weapon that will kill the most people. As long as the general public fears EBRs, we will have these mass shootings. If the general public stops being as fearful of guns, we'll get more bombings and chemical attacks.
The  Colorado nutbag is a prime example. He had the expertise and know-how to kill every person in that theater with chemical. Instead, he used a firearm. The goal wasn't killing. It was to inspire fear.

*shrug* and there will always be a nutbag who wants to do stuff like this. It doesn't matter which weapon they want.
In an odd way, these crazies using firearms over other forms of killing probably saves lives.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »

Get ready for a massive propaganda war

I can assure you we've been living through "a massive propaganda war" our whole lives.

It began before I was born in the mid sixties and is still picking up steam.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 05:55:02 PM »

I disagree. Columbine, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, etc., have been categorized by the media as "gun violence" that happened in schools. I believe most people think of "school violence" as what it is -- thugs in the schools beating down other kids for their sneakers and lunch money. We had to pull my adopted daughter out of the local public high school and send her to a parochial school because of bullying, and we don't live in a town that would remotely be classified as a ghetto.

School violence (with a righteous ending): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6HvyXeqtg
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »
I disagree. Columbine, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, etc., have been categorized by the media as "gun violence" that happened in schools. I believe most people think of "school violence" as what it is -- thugs in the schools beating down other kids for their sneakers and lunch money. We had to pull my adopted daughter out of the local public high school and send her to a parochial school because of bullying, and we don't live in a town that would remotely be classified as a ghetto.

School violence (with a righteous ending): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6HvyXeqtg

Fair point. I should have specified that I was referring to mass/multiple killings.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »
Fair point. I should have specified that I was referring to mass/multiple killings.

I consider those to be murders, not "school violence."

The mention of Bath Township makes a point, though. It's wrong to categorize school murders committed with guns as "gun violence," as if eliminating guns would eliminate school murders. Bath Township proves that people who want to commit murder will use whatever they can find to do so. Most people aren't aware that the guns at Columbine were Plan B for the killers. The Plan A was bombs -- which didn't go off.

And then there's the guy in Europe (Germany, IIRC) who attacked a school with a home-made flamethrower.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 08:12:49 PM »
This is what I was getting at. bluestarlizzard's point that people have a visceral fear of guns is valid. But to anyone open to a reasoned argument, the Bath Township example illustrates that the violent intent or mental instability is the essential threat, with means being secondary, and also that this is not a new phenomenon.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:21:41 PM »
And then there's the guy in Europe (Germany, IIRC) who attacked a school with a home-made flamethrower.

There's the guy in Europe who killed a bunch of kids (and other people) by driving an Airbus into the Alps.

Maybe we should ban airplanes, or pilots ... or mountains  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
This is what I was getting at. bluestarlizzard's point that people have a visceral fear of guns is valid. But to anyone open to a reasoned argument, the Bath Township example illustrates that the violent intent or mental instability is the essential threat, with means being secondary, and also that this is not a new phenomenon.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 11:11:30 PM »
Of course the touchy-feelies/uplifters are beyond reach. But every new shooter we take to the range is candle against the dark, so there is some cause to reach out when practical.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »
At about 3.55, he says that Detroit, New Orleans, St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, and Atlanta are "heavily gun-controlled."  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife