Author Topic: Hypocracy, your name is Andy Parker  (Read 5681 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Hypocracy, your name is Andy Parker
« on: August 28, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b7a96338e827

headline:

Slain Reporter's Father Fears For His Safety As He Takes Up Gun Control Activism
Andy Parker is even thinking of buying a gun of his own.

HuffPost's reporting:

"When you're in the media, as you know, and when you're taking on an issue like this, there are a lot of people who take exception to what you're saying," Parker said during a press conference Friday afternoon.

He added that he doesn't own a gun but he may buy one to protect himself. Although he hasn't received any threats yet, he said he doesn't want to "take any chances."

"I don't own a gun. We don't have a gun in our family," Parker said. "I'm probably going to have to get one. Sad to say, but I -- unfortunately, that's just the world we live in."

Now just who would those "a lot of people" be? Are we getting the "gun-owning RKBA activists are just waiting for the chance to blow someone away" canard? I can't see any of the anti-rights folks pushing for more ineffective "gun control" being inclined to bust a cap in his *expletive deleted*ss for hitting the "we need more and better laws because we are not enforcing the ones we already have, and besides criminals just might obey it if we come up with the right one" campaign trail.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2341114

The father of slain television reporter Alison Parker, after taking aim at the gun lobby, now worries he might need a gun of his own.

Andy Parker acknowledged he might exercise his right to bear arms after unleashing yet another withering attack Friday on the National Rifle Association and timid politicians.

“I don’t own a gun,” Parker told reporters outside the Roanoke television station where his daughter Alison worked.

“We don’t have a gun in our family. I’m probably going to have to get one. I mean, sad to say, but I — unfortunately, that’s the world we live in.”

OK, it's not all gun owners - just the NRA. I should have figured that out by myself. :facepalm:

It looks like some of the MSM dropped a word in their quoting of Mr. Parker:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ifying-details

Yet, Parker said that he is “probably going to have to get a gun” because of the culture in the United States.

“When you’re in the media, as you know, and when you are taking on an issue like this, there are a lot of people who take exception to what you are saying, so I will probably have to do that,” Parker said.

He does not currently own a gun, but said: “I don’t want to take any chances.”

So glad to hear that the latest man who wants to control firearms thinks he is special enough to need one for himself. Too bad he did not try to crowd-source the money necessary to buy armed guards like all the really big people do. Speaking of which, why is Bloomberg not financing Mr. Parker's personal protection team?

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Hypocracy, your name is Andy Parker
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:55:59 AM »
Sorry for his loss. That said. This is a jackass want to be politician who is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame dancing on his daughters grave.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:30:30 AM »
Sorry for his loss. That said. This is a jackass want to be politician who is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame dancing on his daughters grave.

He does not want to be a politician any more.  He just wants to figure out how to keep his daughter from being murdered next time.

But to say that his life is in danger from those that disagree with his thoughts on universal background checks is way beyond the pale.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
Most gun-grabbing zealots at least have the sense to keep their own guns or their armed guards on the down-low.

Not that any of the Low-Information crowd will ever hear about this...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »
But to say that his life is in danger from those that disagree with his thoughts on universal background checks is way beyond the pale.

Agreed. He hasn't even received any threats. He just wants to be prepared in case he receives threats.

Not that universal background checks would have helped any. One of the follow-up articles I read yesterday reported that the shooter had passed a background check. So much for that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
Agreed. He hasn't even received any threats. He just wants to be prepared in case he receives threats.

Not that universal background checks would have helped any. One of the follow-up articles I read yesterday reported that the shooter had passed a background check. So much for that.

Yup.  As is so often the case, the laws they want to see passed would typically not have done a damn thing to stop the event they're proposing the laws to (allegedly) try to stop.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »
I really would like to know exactly how many gun control advocates have been killed by NRA/gun culture types.

I'm guessing pretty damn close to zero. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »
It depends on how you define "gun culture," but even then, I'm guessing a pretty small number.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
I really would like to know exactly how many gun control advocates have been killed by NRA/gun culture types.

I'm guessing pretty damn close to zero. 

The only one case I can recall, was in the '90s.  Washington (not DC), some local or state antirights pol got offed.  The reason I think it might be a gun culture type is, ballistic testing pointed to the round having been shot through an aftermarket Makarov barrel.  For years afterwards you'd see reports of the feds asking folks for their guns, for testing, to track down that barrel.  Never did catch the perp, AFAIK.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 07:47:46 PM »
The only one case I can recall, was in the '90s.  Washington (not DC), some local or state antirights pol got offed.  The reason I think it might be a gun culture type is, ballistic testing pointed to the round having been shot through an aftermarket Makarov barrel.  For years afterwards you'd see reports of the feds asking folks for their guns, for testing, to track down that barrel.  Never did catch the perp, AFAIK.

You don't think it's just as likely that someone bought the gun that way? Wouldn't that be one of the lower-priced guns in the display case?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 01:52:01 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_C._Wales
For those interested.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 02:15:43 AM »

They make aftermarket Makarov barrels?

Never would have thought there would be a market for barrels for a cheap surplus handgun...talk about overpolishing a turd...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 09:39:45 AM »

Never would have thought there would be a market for barrels for a cheap surplus handgun...talk about overpolishing a turd...

Aftermarket barrels to convert Makarovs from 9x18 to .380 were made.  (I have one, never used it.  My only Mak right now is a .380.).  There were also the usual tacticool threaded and ported barrels, IIRC.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

If I remember correctly, the aftermarket barrels were to convert from 9mm Makarov (9x18) to .380 ACP (9x17).

Oops -- Lee N. Field beat me to it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »
For those interested.
The Wiki link says they found a shell casing.  How did they know it was a Makarov replacement barrel?  Some unusual rifling?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »
For those interested.

He was also a US Attorney working fraud cases.  Lots of opportunities to mke enemies there...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.