Author Topic: Walking dead season 6 (spoilers within)  (Read 46342 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Walking dead season 6 (spoilers within)
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:24:46 AM »
New thread for the new season. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Walking dead season 6 (spoilers within)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
Sure, make me work. :P

Moving the season 6 posts from 5 to here.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
So, what would have been a better way to handle the hoard?

I give them some leeway, because it appears the whole sound sensitivity thing in this case is integral to what's happening in the plot, and the writers wanted this to happen. I'm betting on the "W's".

Otherwise, given the constant reminder of how sensitive the walkers are to sound, they should have known the great risk they were taking regarding potentially creating a forest full of walkers. I don't know if we've had any concrete evidence about the scarcity or not of gasoline, diesel, and other flammables, but there was the potential of just lighting a bunch of them on fire if they were bunched up.

Obviously wouldn't get them all, and probably not even a majority, but it could have cut down on the number of mobile walkers they were luring out of the quarry. Also possibly a brick of .22 to put down a bunch of them (they would have had time while they were fortifying for the march and before the semi gave way).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »
Quoting Tommygunn, because  I couldn't remember how to move a single post

Tactical thermonuclear bomb.   
Yeah...I know....THEY DON'T HAVE ONE. 
I don't think there IS a "better way."   Anything they did involved an element of danger.

And ..what's-his-name? that got bit in the face at the end.    ;/  Anyone not see THAT coming?   

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »
I've not seen it yet, but hasn't anyone figured out that some modified heavy equipment might not be such a bad idea?

A wide cut combine?

A steam roller?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
I've not seen it yet, but hasn't anyone figured out that some modified heavy equipment might not be such a bad idea?

A wide cut combine?

A steam roller?

Good analysis, because there was a ton of heavy equipment sitting around in this episode. They kept saying that some semi trucks that were keeping the hoard in would give out (slide off the edge of a cliff) at anytime so they had to move fast. However, setting up some big dozers as even temporary "backup fortifications" would have given them more time to plan.

Like I said, it looks like they needed what happened to happen for the follow up episodes (looks like maybe they'll be on the run again), but if it were the real zombie Apocalypse, kind of a dumb decision given that even a single screaming guy was able to divert the entire hoard.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »

A wide cut combine?

A steam roller?

Combine would plug up very fast, or even break internally from the bones.

Steam roller, hells yeah but not very fast and bitch to turn. Also sucks off roading due to no traction on wheels

A sheepsfoot roller may work since the rear drive wheels are pneumatic. Or a killdozer with a sheepsfoot roller instead of a blade.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:05:25 PM »
I know that it is not possible to have a zombie apocalypse.

I would have figured out a way to remove the ramp on the quarry and seal in the open end to make it one big pit that they can't escape from.

Or find a open pit quarry near by and install a horn that calls the walkers in.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »

A wide cut combine?

A steam roller?

One of those mine flail tanks would be excellent.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »
You'd have to modify the combine quite a bit, remove the shrouds, reconfigure the roller so that it has blades instead of guides, remove the cutter/mower, make sure that it doesn't direct anything actually into the combine conveyer...

Plus, you'd probably want to reverse the direction of the roller so that it kicked zombies away instead of pulling them towards the machine.

Hum.... Maybe too much work to do it feasibly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
Oh, if we're talking about just running them over, Boomhauer should jump in, but a D-13 with some armor welded on around the cab should do some damage. They run over all kinds of garbage at the dump and keep on going, so zombie bodies shouldn't be too much of a problem if you work your way in a little at a time from the edges of the hoard.

Also, everybody knows there will be a real zombie apocalypse. The whole reason all these zombie shows, books and video games are out there is the government preparing us for it. Charby is just naive or else a:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
Yeah explosives of some kind to take the ramp down out of the quarry might make it a better mousetrap.  

Burning walkers can still function but it seems to make them less effective.  

And yeah, that horn has got to be the W's.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
Oh, if we're talking about just running them over, Boomhauer should jump in, but a D-13 with some armor welded on around the cab should do some damage. They run over all kinds of garbage at the dump and keep on going, so zombie bodies shouldn't be too much of a problem if you work your way in a little at a time from the edges of the hoard.

Also, everybody knows there will be a real zombie apocalypse. The whole reason all these zombie shows, books and video games are out there is the government preparing us for it. Charby is just naive or else a:

I offered some solutions, not a total stick in the mud.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »
Yeah explosives of some kind to take the ramp down out of the quarry might make it a better mousetrap.  

Burning walkers can still function but it seems to make them less effective.  

And yeah, that horn has got to be the W's.

I agree that explosives would be much better than fire, especially in that quarry. However, I can't recall for sure, but explosives seem to be in short supply. I haven't seen them used much.

Also yeah, burning would only kill the walkers that get completely burned, but it might cripple many more and turn them into crawlers, which would more easily be dealt with and with less urgency.

I think we've established by now that gasoline in the Walking Dead universe either doesn't go bad, or goes bad more slowly than in the real world, so there should be plenty around. Even if it goes bad for vehicle use, it should still make effective Molotov cocktails and similar.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »
One of those mine flail tanks would be excellent.

Nice!  Best anti zombie weapon yet----I'D pay good money to see this on T.W.D. [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 02:44:11 PM »
I know that it is not possible to have a zombie apocalypse.

Killjoy.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »
There's an old Bob Hope movie called  THE  GHOST BREAKERS in which Hope's character travels to a Caribbean island infested with zombies.   Hope doesn't have a good idea of what a zombie is, so a companion explains they're mindless automotons who are only capable of following orders,  they have no independent will.
So,  Hope responds to this; "oh,  you mean like democrats." =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
There's an old Bob Hope movie called  THE  GHOST BREAKERS in which Hope's character travels to a Caribbean island infested with zombies.   Hope doesn't have a good idea of what a zombie is, so a companion explains they're mindless automotons who are only capable of following orders,  they have no independent will.
So,  Hope responds to this; "oh,  you mean like democrats." =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6YdNmK77k

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6YdNmK77k

Many thanks, Angel Eyes.   No matter how many times I see that, I still think it's great!!!

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »
I was not impressed. I'm not a fan of the type of timeline switching nor the black and white. I think it would have been better to just have had the episode in a normal timeline, maybe even have this episode be two separate ones. I got the black and white was supposed to denote the "past", but to me it felt like they were just trying to make it artsy.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 07:16:55 PM »
They were discussing the use of B&W in the episode on "Talking Dead," after the main show ended.  A producer said they contemplated using other techniques -- like color saturation -- but they thought that looked too  .....   "artsy" -- or whatever.
It worked OK for me, generally .... but I did for a minute or so at the beginning think that maybe they had to switch to B&W as a cost-saving measure considering how many zombies they needed..... [popcorn]

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
I loved the time switching and appreciated the black and white.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »

A wide cut combine?

A steam roller?

There's a game on Xbox where you make improvised weapons to kill walkers. One of them is a motorcycle with a steamroller on the front, with spikes attached. It's hilarious fun
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »
They were discussing the use of B&W in the episode on "Talking Dead," after the main show ended.  A producer said they contemplated using other techniques -- like color saturation -- but they thought that looked too  .....   "artsy" -- or whatever.
It worked OK for me, generally .... but I did for a minute or so at the beginning think that maybe they had to switch to B&W as a cost-saving measure considering how many zombies they needed..... [popcorn]

Yeah. I saw that. I still disagree with them. To each there own. I haven't like other shows or movies that use such techniques either.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
I was not impressed. I'm not a fan of the type of timeline switching nor the black and white.

I'm inclined to agree.  While flashbacks have their place, I think the episode would have worked better had they told the story chronologically.