Author Topic: "Hard Worker" is Now an Offensive Term  (Read 6544 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: "Hard Worker" is Now an Offensive Term
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »
I want to figure out some sort of bingo game or drinking game that is centered on what terms and words are now considered offensive.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
I want to figure out some sort of bingo game or drinking game that is centered on what terms and words are now considered offensive.

I'd suggest taking a shot anytime some SJW calls "microagression!", but I don't want to die of alcohol poisoning.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »
I'd suggest taking a shot anytime some SJW calls "microagression!", but I don't want to die of alcohol poisoning.

I got confused when you mentioned alcohol poisoning, until I realized that you meant a shot of booze, not a shot at the SJW.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 04:23:16 PM »
I got confused when you mentioned alcohol poisoning, until I realized that you meant a shot of booze, not a shot at the SJW.

Well done.  :rofl:

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:27:37 PM »
And for extra bonus points, I made that reply, flipped over to my FB and was accused of making a microagggression in a comment I made. Awesomesauce!

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
At least one campus has declared the term "politically correct" to be offensive.  The term, not the idea.  That's like paradox wrapped in irony.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:15:56 PM »
It's funny to me that everyone seems to assume that only slaves pick cotton. On the video I saw, she didn't mention slavery or race.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 05:46:40 PM »
want us to be super careful when we use the language ‘hard worker,’” she cautioned. “Because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like.”

What about the mom who works a job before going to school, and another after her kid(s) go to bed, so she can qualify for a better job and buy her own damn Xmas presents for her kids instead of relying on charity?

Or my buddy's dad who worked 16 hours a day for 35 years so his kids could go to college and get jobs that required they use their minds instead of their hands?

Or the person in the sheltered workshop struggling to remember how to put Tab A into Slot B as the first step to getting out of a group home and into their own place?

Or ....

MSNBC.  Mighty Stupid Nattering Blithering [as used by the Brits as opposed to American slang].

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
My father picked cotton as a kid.  He showed me one of their old cotton sacks- the strap was tied up so a child could use it.

Some things have improved, fortunately.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 05:56:52 PM »
My cotton-pickin' mother, too.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 06:12:43 PM »
It's not nearly as offensive as my reply were someone foolish enough to say that to my face.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 08:26:58 PM »
Because no one should actually have to do productive work... right?

Free bread and circuses my pretties! Fly!!! Fly!!!!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
Can anyone point out to me where there exists in the Constitution,  the Bill of Rights, the other Amendments, any statute (federal or state) which gives anyone a right to not be offended?  I am so sick of this crap.  Our court administrator has asked us to stop using certain terms...criminal, thief, addict...There's a list I threw in the trash....because they offend people in hearings and he got complaints from some people, including family of some offenders facing charges.  Crap!  Commit a crime, you're a criminal.  Steal, you're a thief.  It's crap, and it's getting beyond stupid.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »
It's crap, and it's getting beyond stupid.

I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a backlash from most segments of society to end this nonsense. I would have expected that to happen at least several years ago, but this crap only keeps getting worse and worse. It's beyond what I would expect even most progressives would put up with, but I guess I'm wrong, because they're still putting up with it, if not outright embracing it.

I want one of those shirts from Bedlamite's link. I think ridicule is the best defense outside of ignoring them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »
Irony:

Offenders complaining they are offended.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 09:15:17 PM »
I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been a backlash from most segments of society to end this nonsense. I would have expected that to happen at least several years ago, but this crap only keeps getting worse and worse. It's beyond what I would expect even most progressives would put up with, but I guess I'm wrong, because they're still putting up with it, if not outright embracing it.

I want one of those shirts from Bedlamite's link. I think ridicule is the best defense outside of ignoring them.

The problem is not that the semi reasonable progressives are embracing it. The problem is that the ones that would fight it have been scared silent. They don't like it, but they have no clue how to fight the backlash when they get caught in the trap.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »
Our court administrator has asked us to stop using certain terms...criminal, thief, addict...There's a list I threw in the trash....because they offend people in hearings and he got complaints from some people, including family of some offenders facing charges. 

:rofl:  Tell me they fired this cretin! Please!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »
And for extra bonus points, I made that reply, flipped over to my FB and was accused of making a microagggression in a comment I made. Awesomesauce!

Professional comedians agree: Timing is everything.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »

:rofl:  Tell me they fired this cretin! Please!

People like that don't get fired, they get promoted.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »
People like that don't get fired, they get promoted.

*expletive deleted*ck up, move up!
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 08:27:55 AM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 08:28:37 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/426116/word-too-sexist-huffington-post-article

Apparently "too" is also offensive.

I'm sorry, but it requires me to be too much of a hard worker to avoid offending these politically correct morons.