Author Topic: CMP 1911 Status  (Read 19372 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CMP 1911 Status
« on: November 13, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »
I think we talked in the recent past about the CMP potentially getting 1911s. In a CMP email today, there was this:

An update on the 1911 pistols. The revised NDAA has passed the House and Senate. It is on its way to the President's desk for signature. We have no further information at this time.

I was actually shocked that it made it through both House and Senate. Almost there, but given the President's current ramped up anti-gun rhetoric, I'm guessing he'll not sign it.  :'(
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
Re: CMP 1911 Status
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure they are ultimately going to the same fate as the m14s-ted kennedy's chop saw.
Maybe our masters in mordor will allow us to purchase colt or singer stamped paperweights in the future....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »
I think it's possible, and I'm hopeful, that the CinC has bigger fish to fry at this moment than one line in the annual DOD budget.

If some 1911's are the most controversial things in the NDAA, I don't think he'll waste the political capital on them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »
I was wondering how many grease guns, BAR's, and Thompson's they still have. 

I missed that note in the email.  I am still not sure I want to spend much money on an old Colt 1911.  We'll see.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »
I was wondering how many grease guns, BAR's, and Thompson's they still have. 

I missed that note in the email.  I am still not sure I want to spend much money on an old Colt 1911.  We'll see.

I'd lurvs me some BARs.
The even notion of door to door confiscations would become laughable with the threat of hot M2 AP raining down on anyone stupid enough to try it.

Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »
http://www.tommygunsvodka.com/

I'll leave this here.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
I think we talked in the recent past about the CMP potentially getting 1911s. In a CMP email today, there was this:

I was actually shocked that it made it through both House and Senate. Almost there, but given the President's current ramped up anti-gun rhetoric, I'm guessing he'll not sign it.  :'(

It;s one insignificant line in a huge bill.  If Obama vetoes it, it'll be because he hates the military, not this....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
Did anyone say what they would be expected to go for?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »
Not yet,  but prevailing guess on cmp forums is low 4 figures

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »

Holy crap. That's a lot higher than I would have guessed, which was mid hundreds somewhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 07:31:45 PM »
For a gov issue colt?

Maybe in the 80's.

I'm in if they are under $1500

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »
We were still issuing 1911A1s for armed watches in the early '90s. My guess is that the majority of the stuff the CMP will have will be of similar quality. Pretty much mix-masters of slides and frames and veterans of many, many armory rebuilds. I do not even imagine there will be boxes and boxes of "new" pristine unissued pistols left over from WWII.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 08:48:38 AM »
I think you are correct. They will be rode hard, rebuilt many times, and mixed vintage.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
We were still issuing 1911A1s for armed watches in the early '90s. My guess is that the majority of the stuff the CMP will have will be of similar quality. Pretty much mix-masters of slides and frames and veterans of many, many armory rebuilds. I do not even imagine there will be boxes and boxes of "new" pristine unissued pistols left over from WWII.

That's why I was guessing mid hundreds. Sorta like the rack grade Garands, with some service grade and CMP full rebuild pistols available at higher prices.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »

So, if all you want is a 1911, there are better options.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »

If they actually get unissued quality pistols, they will not be thrown in with everything else.  Those would likely go up for auction.  If it was mid-hundreds, that would be interesting especially if they were shooters. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »
Well Ben, you're right on the probably Rack grade part.

Go cruise the auction sites. A USGI 1911 in any kind of decent shape  goes for $1900-$2000 easy.  Nice ones for $3000-$3500.  I saw a Remington Rand FRAME the other day for about $800, and the reserve hadn't even been met.

Gun Show mixmaster US Gov marked 1911's? I see them for $1500-$2000 all the time.

So if CMP offers them for ~$1000, and they have all the parts, that's a pretty good deal.

So, if all you want is a 1911, there are better options.

Oh Yeah.  Whoever buys these will probably be paying on the order of ~$700 for that "US Government Property" roll mark. It'll come with a $300 parts gun.  I would say this is for the person who probably already has a couple 1911's, and wants to collect a genuine Army M1911A1, but doesn't want it enough to pay the $3000 a nice one costs.

So......Me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 10:37:57 PM »
Well Ben, you're right on the probably Rack grade part.

Go cruise the auction sites. A USGI 1911 in any kind of decent shape  goes for $1900-$2000 easy.  Nice ones for $3000-$3500.  I saw a Remington Rand FRAME the other day for about $800, and the reserve hadn't even been met.

Gun Show mixmaster US Gov marked 1911's? I see them for $1500-$2000 all the time.

So if CMP offers them for ~$1000, and they have all the parts, that's a pretty good deal.

Huh. No idea they were going for that much. I would have figured they'd be closer to the C&R Sistemas. Though maybe they're going for more now as well.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 01:09:04 AM »
I guess I need to let my Dad know to keep his Remington Rand in good shape.  He said he traded a P38 for it years ago from a guy who didn't like the recoil. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »
Huh. No idea they were going for that much. I would have figured they'd be closer to the C&R Sistemas. Though maybe they're going for more now as well.

Noooo. Every once in awhile the local Gun Library gets a bunch of them in- probably when some old timer with a collection dies- the prices are typically $2500+ and they don't stay on the shelves long at those prices. As Dogmush stated that 'US property' rollmark commands a serious premium on just about any firearm- the only recent example where this wasn't necessarily true were the last US Property marked Savage enfields that came through about 10 years ago- I'm not sure of their value now though.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »

Noooo. Every once in awhile the local Gun Library gets a bunch of them in- probably when some old timer with a collection dies- the prices are typically $2500+ and they don't stay on the shelves long at those prices. As Dogmush stated that 'US property' rollmark commands a serious premium on just about any firearm- the only recent example where this wasn't necessarily true were the last US Property marked Savage enfields that came through about 10 years ago- I'm not sure of their value now though.

I guess I also figured CMP, given their mission, would not be selling at prevailing prices. Which they may not do with these and I reckon from what you guys say it will still put them at four figures.

I could have sold my service grade Garand for $300 more than I paid for it the day after it was delivered. At the market prices these 1911s are going for,  I wonder how many people will be flipping them if CMP gets a batch?

I totally get buying one of these just for the collector value (I guess I have a safe full of C&R rifles I never shoot to back me up). I think though, if I was gonna spend $1500 on a 1911, I'd probably rather get another TRP or a Wilson or something.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »
I guess I also figured CMP, given their mission, would not be selling at prevailing prices. Which they may not do with these and I reckon from what you guys say it will still put them at four figures.

I could have sold my service grade Garand for $300 more than I paid for it the day after it was delivered. At the market prices these 1911s are going for,  I wonder how many people will be flipping them if CMP gets a batch?

I totally get buying one of these just for the collector value (I guess I have a safe full of C&R rifles I never shoot to back me up). I think though, if I was gonna spend $1500 on a 1911, I'd probably rather get another TRP or a Wilson or something.

Yeah, I remember seeing a guy with a dozen or so Danish 'VAR' barreled M1s priced at a premium price (about double CMP price) at a gun show shortly after CMP starting selling them.
I'll still pass on the 4 figures CMP pistols as well. At this point I'd rather buy a Glock/M&P, a good holster, half dozen mags and some ammo with that money, I (blasphemey Alert!) have enough 1911s already.

Barack Obama

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
From what I have seen on another web site or two the bill has been signed allowing CMP to sell the 1911s. Now to see how it is done and the rules attached. Oh, and the price. :)

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »
From what I have seen on another web site or two the bill has been signed allowing CMP to sell the 1911s. Now to see how it is done and the rules attached. Oh, and the price. :)

bob

Apparently, the Army has yet to decide whether they'll give them to CMP. Does anyone know how that's likely to go?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »

Apparently, the Army has yet to decide whether they'll give them to CMP. Does anyone know how that's likely to go?

According to a guy who posts on The Firing Line and who has been at CMP for an armorer's course, CMP already has the pistols.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design