Author Topic: CMP 1911 Status  (Read 19355 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: CMP 1911 Status
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »
Mixed feelings about paying (possibly) north of $1000 for a USGI beater . . .

On the other hand, I remember my Dad told me he was issued and carried an Ithaca-built 1911 during WWII . . . I wish there was some way to identify it as I'd love to own if it ever turned up at the CMP or elsewhere, but the serial number of the one he carried is lost to history . . .  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
Mixed feelings about paying (possibly) north of $1000 for a USGI beater . . .

On the other hand, I remember my Dad told me he was issued and carried an Ithaca-built 1911 during WWII . . . I wish there was some way to identify it as I'd love to own if it ever turned up at the CMP or elsewhere, but the serial number of the one he carried is lost to history . . .  =(

More USGI 1911s on the market can't be a bad thing. Unless you bought some as an investment.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 01:57:57 AM »
I really doubt this will be enough to distort the market for long. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
I wonder what the condition of them will be? Rattle slides and worn out barrels? Banged up sights, bluing worn off, etc.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 11:07:24 AM »
I really doubt this will be enough to distort the market for long. 
The CMP sale of M1 Carbines a few years back doesn't seem to have distorted THAT market very much, either.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 03:14:19 PM »
Some details on the bill:

SEC. 1087. TRANSFER OF SURPLUS FIREARMS TO CORPORATION FOR

(a) AUTHORIZATION OF TRANSFER OF SURPLUS FIREARMS TO CORPORATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF RIFLE PRACTICE AND FIRE- ARMS SAFETY.— (1) IN GENERAL.—Section 40728 of title 36, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

THE PROMOTION OF RIFLE PRACTICE AND FIREARMS SAFETY.

S. 1356—288

‘‘(h) AUTHORIZED TRANSFERS.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this subsection, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the require-
    ments of the Department of the Army, and such material as may be recovered by the Secretary pursuant to section 40728A(a) of this title. The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.

‘‘(2) The Secretary may not transfer more than 10,000 surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols to the corporation during any year and may only transfer such pistols as long as pistols described in paragraph (1) remain available for transfer.’’.

(2) TECHNICAL AND CONFORMING AMENDMENTS.—Such title is further amended—

(A) in section 40728A—

(i) by striking ‘‘rifles’’ each place it appears and inserting ‘‘surplus firearms’’; and

(ii) in subsection (a), by striking ‘‘section 40731(a)’’ and inserting ‘‘section 40732(a)’’; (B) in section 40729(a)—

(i) in paragraph (1), by striking ‘‘section 40728(a)’’ and inserting ‘‘subsections (a) and (h) of section 40728’’; (ii) in paragraph (2), by striking ‘‘40728(a)’’ and inserting ‘‘subsections (a) and (h) of section 40728’’; and

(iii) in paragraph (4), by inserting ‘‘and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols’’ after ‘‘caliber .30 and caliber .22 rimfire rifles’’;

(C) in section 40732—

(i) by striking ‘‘caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 surplus rifles’’ both places it appears and inserting ‘‘surplus caliber .22 rimfire rifles, caliber .30 surplus rifles, and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols’’; and

(ii) in subsection (b), by striking ‘‘is over 18 years of age’’ and inserting ‘‘is legally of age’’; and (D) in section 40733—

(i) by striking ‘‘Section 922(a)(1)-(3) and (5)’’ and inserting ‘‘(a) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in sub-section (b), section 922(a)(1)-(3) and (5)’’; and

(ii) by adding at the end the following new sub-
    section: ‘‘(b) EXCEPTION.—With respect to firearms other than caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 rifles, the corporation shall obtain a license as a dealer in firearms and abide by all requirements imposed on persons licensed under chapter 44 of title 18, including maintaining acquisition and disposition records, and conducting background checks.’’.

(b) PILOT PROGRAM.—

(1) ONE-YEAR AUTHORITY.—The Secretary of the Army may carry out a one-year pilot program under which the Secretary may transfer to the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety not more than 10,000 firearms described in paragraph (2).

S. 1356—289

(2) FIREARMS DESCRIBED.—The firearms described in this paragraph are surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this section, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army.

(3) TRANSFER REQUIREMENTS.—Transfers of surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols from the Army to the Corporation under the pilot program shall be made in accordance with subchapter II of chapter 407 of title 36, United States Code.

(4) REPORTS TO CONGRESS.—

the Secretary initiates the pilot program under this sub-
    section, the Secretary shall submit to Congress an interim report on the pilot program. Secretary completes the pilot program under this sub-
    section, the Secretary shall submit to Congress a final report on the pilot program. this subsection shall include, for the period covered by the report—

(A) INTERIM REPORT.—Not later than 90 days after

(B) FINAL REPORT.—Not later than 15 days after the

(C) CONTENTS OF REPORT.—Each report required by

(i) the number of firearms described in subsection

(a)(2) transferred under the pilot program; and

(ii) information on any crimes committed using firearms transferred under the pilot program.

(c) LIMITATION ON TRANSFER OF SURPLUS CALIBER .45 M1911/M1911A1 PISTOLS.—The Secretary may not transfer firearms described in subsection (b)(2) under subchapter II of chapter 407 of title 36, United States Code, until the date that is 60 days after the date of the submittal of the final report required under subsection (b)(4)(B).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
The CMP sale of M1 Carbines a few years back doesn't seem to have distorted THAT market very much, either.
Yeah, if anything the price went up further once the CMP ran out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »
This will be a good year to get my son to a few CMP matches regardless of the 1911 availability...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 04:18:21 PM »
Just got the CMP sales e-mail today:

An update on the 1911's

The NDAA 2016 has passed.  We have no further information concerning the status of the 1911s.  We will update our customers as we know more.  Please do not email or call with questions regarding the 1911s.  Our systems are overloaded.

If you would like to sign up for our Sales Email Updates, please visit our website and SIGN UP!

For eligibility requirements for ordering through the CMP, please visit our website. 

Thank you, Mark Johnson, Chief Operating Officer

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, I laugh now, but that just means the prices will probably astronomical...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
That probably takes me out of the running.  I would rather spend that sort of money on a Coonan 1911.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »
A grand for rack grade?! Nope. :facepalm:

Brad

I predict huge, iPhone-sized lines at those prices.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 09:10:26 PM »
Yeah, too rich for my blood for that grade. Totally get why someone would want one for the history and potentially investment. But I think if I were to buy one for the investment, I would look at spending more money on a service or better grade. I would guess those will increase in value over ten or so years at a higher percentage than rack grades will.

Otherwise, $1000 puts you nearly into TRP and similar grade combat 1911s. For a shooter, I'd rather go that route.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2016, 09:20:27 PM »
I want the one I carried in Germany.   I'll have to go dig out my weapons card to get the serial#.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 09:21:42 PM »

I predict huge, iPhone-sized lines at those prices.

Which is one of the many reasons I don't worship at the Alter Of Apple, either.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »
Altar, actually.  :P  

But JMB is not amused, Bradley.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2016, 10:54:52 PM »
I want the one I carried in Germany.   I'll have to go dig out my weapons card to get the serial#.

I stand a better change of having a wild naked weekend with Olivia Wilde.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 12:26:18 AM »
I stand a better change of having a wild naked weekend with Olivia Wilde.

If that ever happens, i'll pay for pics and video. Just sayin.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 07:30:44 AM »
If that ever happens, i'll pay for pics and video. Just sayin.
No matter how talented a photographer she may be, they are still going to be pictures of a naked charby.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2016, 07:35:38 AM »
No matter how talented a photographer she may be, they are still going to be pictures of a naked charby.
Noooooooooo...
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »
Yeah, not going to get one, not for $1000.  No family history with them, to quote my Marine WWII and Korean war vet Grandfather "couldn't hit *expletive deleted*it with one in training, never bothered to try to pick one up in the field".  He had an M1917 in training, then a 1903 initially, then carried a M1 carbine the rest of WWII.  In Korea he had an M2 Carbine.  The 1911 was out of service before I went in the Army.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2016, 10:20:25 AM »
Yeah, not going to get one, not for $1000.  No family history with them, to quote my Marine WWII and Korean war vet Grandfather "couldn't hit *expletive deleted*it with one in training, never bothered to try to pick one up in the field".  He had an M1917 in training, then a 1903 initially, then carried a M1 carbine the rest of WWII.  In Korea he had an M2 Carbine.  The 1911 was out of service before I went in the Army.
The first time I fired a 1911, I couldn't hit anything with it either.  Same with most pistols.  I got better. 

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
The first time I fired a 1911, I couldn't hit anything with it either.  Same with most pistols.  I got better. 

Well, yeah.  Same here.  My point was there is no nostalgia factor for me.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »
Rather have the Garand
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!