Author Topic: CMP 1911 Status  (Read 19370 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: CMP 1911 Status
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
Rather have the aGrand
Easy, just don't buy one  =D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »
Not yet,  but prevailing guess on cmp forums is low 4 figures

Called it.

Depending on where my toy budget is when they hit I'm probably still in.

Going by the % increases on the Garands, I'd guess the service grade will be about $1200-$1300.  That's an expensive roll mark, but they aren't getting any cheaper, and it will look sweet next to my SA Garand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2016, 10:52:33 PM »
That would be the reason I would buy is if the resale was potentially lucrative.  The idea is appealing though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
Curious if those who bought oodles of Garands from the CMP solely to resell will do the same with these 1911s, and if they get fingered for "Being in the Business"...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
I was considering buy a couple merely to hold on to as "investements", if the same thing happens to them as what has happened with Garands.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
Curious if those who bought oodles of Garands from the CMP solely to resell will do the same with these 1911s, and if they get fingered for "Being in the Business"...

Oh,  that's a really good question.  I've been worried about how the EO affects CMP.

I've only ever bought one Garand and a bunch of ammo from them, but something like that could be trouble depending on who's after you and if you're part of an unpopular segment of society.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2016, 12:04:51 PM »
I have 4 Garands.  I could see selling two if prices have changed enough.  I toyed with it a few years ago, but most people are not willing to part with enough money to make it worthwhile.    

I haven't been keeping up with prices lately.  The Houston Gun Collector's Association Gun Show is this weekend so I will have to make sure I look.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2016, 12:32:07 PM »
Garands at gunshows around here are priced at $1200-$1600 for what would have gone for $400 a few years back form CMP.

I don't know if they are selling them at that price, but it's what they are asking...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2018, 03:41:59 PM »
Thread Necro:

Pricing came out on these a couple days ago:

CMP 1911 pricing:

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Service Grade $1050.
Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950.
Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850.
Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol).
The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled.

The shipping cost is included in the price.

And there's a lottery to see if you get one of the 8000.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm in.  I'll be sending the paperwork in as soon as it they open it, and going for a Service Grade if I get the call.  Those are as cheap as you will get a US Property marked 1911 these days, and as the saying goes, "they aren't making any more".

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
Given the pricing, I think service grade is the best call for an investment piece. I'll be very curious to see what some of the auction prices end up being.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »
Given the pricing, I think service grade is the best call for an investment piece. I'll be very curious to see what some of the auction prices end up being.

I suspect the auction prices will be pretty similar to Rock Island or Gunbroker prices.  The folks on CMP auctions are, for the most part, the same folks on auctions elsewhere.  Or rather, serious collectors (that drive auction prices) are CMP eligible.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=US%20Property%201911

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
As I said earlier in this thread, I'm in.  I'll be sending the paperwork in as soon as it they open it, and going for a Service Grade if I get the call.  Those are as cheap as you will get a US Property marked 1911 these days, and as the saying goes, "they aren't making any more".

Same here. I can't believe how many people I've seen whining about the price - comparing them to the $400 Tisas and RIA.  :facepalm:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »
Same here. I can't believe how many people I've seen whining about the price - comparing them to the $400 Tisas and RIA.  :facepalm:

:laugh:  I love my RIA, but come on, people.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
Well, not long ago I bought a new E-series S&W 1911Sc (round butt, scandium frame, night sights) for $20 more than a CMP Service Grade. And bought a barely used Les Baer for even less. Deals like that don't come around every day, but then again, neither do CMP 1911s. But I have a real good idea which gun would be at the bottom of the heap if you actually wanted to shoot it.   ;)

Since I'm not into buying CMP firearms to potentially resell them at a profit, I'll pass on a pitted service grade, or the pitted and rusty lower grades. ESPECIALLY with all the hoops they want you to jump through.

But for those who do want one, I certainly wouldn't stand in their way - I hope they enjoy their piece of history and that whatever they get is better than the grade description suggests.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2018, 09:29:06 PM »
I can appreciate the desire to own a gen-yoo-wine Government "U.S. PROPERTY" 1911A1, a piece of history. I've handle and shot more than a few of them when I was in the Navy. Knowing the age and wondering "If this thing could talk what stories could it tell?" is kind of cool.
I don't collect firearms for the sake of possessing them, I acquire to use, if for nothing else than target practice.
I hope all of you that want a CMP 1911 get good ones and share lots of pictures here when you do.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »
I can appreciate the desire to own a gen-yoo-wine Government "U.S. PROPERTY" 1911A1, a piece of history. I've handle and shot more than a few of them when I was in the Navy. Knowing the age and wondering "If this thing could talk what stories could it tell?" is kind of cool.
I don't collect firearms for the sake of possessing them, I acquire to use, if for nothing else than target practice.
I hope all of you that want a CMP 1911 get good ones and share lots of pictures here when you do.

I thnk the same way.  I hope to get to handle and shoot one some day, but I have no desire to buy one.  I will happily ooh and ahh over your photos, though.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
That is a dilemma.  I was toying with getting a Dan Wesson 1911 (or other).  The CMP guns are approaching that.  A CMMG Banshee would be awesome also.

The collector in me still wants one, but I worry I would end up with a 1950's or 1960's odd ball manufacturer.   

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2018, 09:48:03 AM »
The collector in me still wants one, but I worry I would end up with a 1950's or 1960's odd ball manufacturer.   

You don't have to worry about that.  1911A1's haven't been manufactured for the .gov since 1945.  Slide, barrel and small parts probably will be weird, but the frame will be at least that old.

I have a Dan Wesson Guardian, and it's a fine pistol.  I carry it most of the time.  If you want a 1911 to carry, shoot, and trust your life to that's a great choice. 

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »
Up from the dead, arise you thread!!!

Here is a post from a local gun board, makes me even happier I didn't opt to buy one of these.

I was selected for one of the Civilian Marksmanship Program Government issue .45's, and just received it. I thought I'd give a little feedback on the pistol. I am a collector and shooter, and my purpose for buying this one was more collectible than something to shoot. They are WW2 .45's after all. I opted for the Service grade ($1050.00), which is the best condition available. All of the pistols have been through an arsenal rebuilding and the CMP website says it may contain some commercial parts. I thought that would be along the line of springs, or other small parts. When I got the pistol, I saw that it was an Ithaca frame with a commercial slide (DSE) from about 1984. The only marks on the slide are an NSN number and Cage (manufacturer) number. As a shooter, it's probably a good gun, if a little overpriced. As a collector, I'm a little disappointed. Since the program will probably be reauthorized for the next couple of years anyway, I thought I'd let people know what you might receive, if you participate. I am a supporter of the CMP mission, but thought they should have been a little more forthcoming in describing the pistols.

Guess I'll go buy another RIA. :)

bob

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
Sounds like he expected to get a NIB 1911 that had been gathering dust in a forgotten arms rooms on a forgotten base since 1942.  These are guns that had a ~50 year service life to include 3 major wars and at least 2 minor ones.  They have been well used and abused.  Slides wear and crack, parts wear-out (barrels especially).  You are going to get mix-masters no matter what grade you buy.  Like the M1's you are going get anything from wall hangers to really good shooters.

You are buying the history.    
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:41:19 PM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2018, 09:48:01 PM »
Sounds like he expected to get a NIB 1911 that had been gathering dust in a forgotten arms rooms on a forgotten base since 1942.  These are that had a ~50 year service life to include 3 major wars and at least 2 minor ones.  They have been well used and aused.  Slides wear and crack, parts wearout (barrels especially).  You are going to get mix-masters no matter what grade you buy.  Like the M1's you are going get anything from wall hangers to really good shooters.

Sour grapes. If he wanted an all-original collector's pistol he should have gone for one of the auction-grade pistols.

Over on the M1911.org forum we've had a few people (one, in particular, who I think got himself banned for being such a monumental troll) who predicted that the CMP guns were all going to be blobs of rust -- or worse. Now that some people have gotten their pistols and posted photos, in my estimation they look much better than I anticipated. Yes, most that I've seen have been arsenal rebuilds, and there was one with a replacement slide such as mentioned above, but it matched the gun and it looked good.

And it isn't exactly a "commercial" slide. Not like if you bought a junk frame and slapped on a slide you bought on the Internet. The replacement slides -- as described above -- are from the USGI replacement parts program and were installed at a U.S. Government arsenal.

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?110564-Documenting-a-CPM-1911A1-and-appreciate-anything-I-can-learn

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?110526-CMP-Colt-Markings
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2018, 05:27:23 PM »
Sounds like he expected to get a NIB 1911 that had been gathering dust in a forgotten arms rooms on a forgotten base since 1942.  These are guns that had a ~50 year service life to include 3 major wars and at least 2 minor ones.  They have been well used and abused.  Slides wear and crack, parts wear-out (barrels especially).  You are going to get mix-masters no matter what grade you buy.  Like the M1's you are going get anything from wall hangers to really good shooters.

So instead of getting a collectors' item, he gets a bit of history that he can have fun shooting. He could even swap the stocks or MSH, etc. I wouldn't have complained.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2018, 06:14:38 PM »
I want the one I carried in Germany.   I'll have to go dig out my weapons card to get the serial#.
I'd pay a premium for the Ithaca my father carried in WW II, but that S/N is lost to history.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2018, 09:04:37 AM »
Garands at gunshows around here are priced at $1200-$1600 for what would have gone for $400 a few years back form CMP.

I don't know if they are selling them at that price, but it's what they are asking...

If people are getting those kind of prices, I need to start going to gunshows. I'd gladly take $1500 for mine, which I rarely ever shoot.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama