Author Topic: Smite the Unbeliever!: Moderate Muslims != Moderate Christians  (Read 6164 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Smite the Unbeliever!: Moderate Muslims != Moderate Christians
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 05:56:23 PM »
I have a useless liberal arts degree, so I'm familiar with the origins of the word.

This was what clued me in, do with it what you will.

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/358061.php

People outside the political mainstream use some of the same political vernacular that folks inside the mainstream do...and may very well be on the same side of some issues as are regular folks.  If I were wearing pearls, I would not have the urge to clutch them right about now.

As for the Ace of Spades fellow, he seems more concerned that folk on the left think him a swell guy than anything else.  That is a good recipe for impotence.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »
I don't need a silly name to describe the objects of my derision.

Republican Establishment works just fine.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 06:33:36 PM »

As for the Ace of Spades fellow, he seems more concerned that folk on the left think him a swell guy than anything else.  That is a good recipe for impotence.

You deffo need to read more ace of spades.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Smite the Unbeliever!: Moderate Muslims != Moderate Christians
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 10:35:35 PM »
You deffo need to read more ace of spades.
Used to back around 2001 and on for a while.  Got tired of the warbloggers after that.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »
Used to back around 2001 and on for a while.  Got tired of the warbloggers after that.

Hard to believe it's been that long.

And on the DS comment,  My problem is that he injects his BS into any thread but the ones actually addressing his Favorite Topic Ever.  I grow tired of being called a paranoid racist every time it's  (correctly) assumed the Hajis are up to no good.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2015, 12:07:54 AM »
"*let's not go there*"? 
The hell...?

It's an ugly word; kinda reminiscent of "cocksucker" even tho' the etymology is totally different.  I like it.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 12:15:35 AM »
I don't need a silly name to describe the objects of my derision.

Republican Establishment works just fine.

This. It is possibly the stupidest political insult of all time.

But I'ma let you finish...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 03:09:18 AM »
Hard to believe it's been that long.

And on the DS comment,  My problem is that he injects his BS into any thread but the ones actually addressing his Favorite Topic Ever.  I grow tired of being called a paranoid racist every time it's  (correctly) assumed the Hajis are up to no good.

Pointing out basic facts (like that Syria's dictatorship is secular, not religious) is not an injection of bs.

Roo sters chart is hard to argue.  The problem is that when you dig into the cause, it's impossible to deny the role of Saudi cash in bringing about that state of affairs in the Muslim world.

The answer to the question "why are many religious Muslims practicing extremism?" Isn't "because that's islam."  The answer is "because extremists control all the cash in Muslim hands, and they do so specifically because of their alliance with the United States and Britain."

Your tax dollars are paying for people to learn this. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »
Pointing out basic facts (like that Syria's dictatorship is secular, not religious) is not an injection of bs.

Roo sters chart is hard to argue.  The problem is that when you dig into the cause, it's impossible to deny the role of Saudi cash in bringing about that state of affairs in the Muslim world.

The answer to the question "why are many religious Muslims practicing extremism?" Isn't "because that's islam."  The answer is "because extremists control all the cash in Muslim hands, and they do so specifically because of their alliance with the United States and Britain."

Your tax dollars are paying for people to learn this.  

That is a significant cause, but insufficient to explain it. It is also part and parcel of the old anti-colonialist view that swarthy and brown and black people have no agency and can only re-act to the actions of America or the West.  

Factors, in estimated order of significance.

1. "Extreme" Islam is orthodox Islam.
The art and statue-destroying, infidel raping, and head-chopping muslims have the better argument that their reading and application of the Koran, Hadith and such are closer than those of muslims who are not queer-defenestrating head-choppers.  Without Islam, there is no Islam of any sort, from butterflies-and-korandy-canes Islam to crucify the infidels Islam. You can see the power of this in the figures above.  Mayeb only a small number of muslims will act, but they have broad support by those who agree with them.

2. Contemporary commo both electronic and physical
Seeing how Islam is done in Mecca and actually doing it while visiting has a profound, homogenizing influence on Islam.  Quirky heterodox Islam that developed over the last 1300 years in particular locations out from under the influence of the guardians of muslim orthodoxy is fading relative to the real deal as muslims can see the real deal on their screens or in person.

3. Petrodollars
Saudis and such do not need the gov't of the USA & UK to make gigabucks selling Texas Tea.  Along with those discretionary dollars comes the desire to spend some on one's religion.

4. The Saudi / Petro-Muslim Example
Saudis and wildly rich petromuslims live the life many muslims think they ought: a life of leisure on top with their lessers--especially non-muslims--doing all the heavy lifting.

5. US, UK, and Western (Im)Moral Support
Close ties with petromuslims has given them legitimacy and cover.  And has likely kept many, many attempts at their replacement stillborn.

6. US, UK, and Western Monetary Support
Yep, our tax dollars have been spent in support of the Saudi and Gulf Arab regimes.  I think this less significant than the above, to include the gassy words and actions in support of petromuslims.   Main reason is that the huge military subsidies and access to western military tech are wasted on Arabs organized into state armies.  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:49:09 AM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »

You should definitely go back and look around.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.