Author Topic: "Hands up," and weekly school shootings among biggest lies of 2015  (Read 1055 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/12/14/the-biggest-pinocchios-of-2015/

The Hands Up mythology was debunked last year. Maybe the Washington Post is just now gathering the courage to say so?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: "Hands up," and weekly school shootings among biggest lies of 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) loved to tell the story of an elderly man sitting in prison for 10 years after being accused of racketeering and organized crime — just for putting dirt on his land. But just about every aspect of Paul’s recounting was inaccurate and misleading. The man, Robert Lucas, was convicted of mail fraud, conspiracy and environmental violations for his role in developing 67 mobile home lots inside federally protected wetlands, building on wetlands without approval and knowingly selling land with illegal sewage systems that were likely to fail.
I am curious about this one.  The description in the last sentence could easily be exactly what Rand is talking about after running it through federal regulatory legalese.  I am not sure the author knows what "federally protected wetlands" means. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
Donald Trump repeatedly defended this claim, but a range of studies show there is no evidence immigrants commit more crimes than native-born Americans. Moreover, the vast majority of unauthorized immigrants in prison do not belong in the category that fits Trump’s description: aggravated felons, whose crimes include murder, drug trafficking or illegal trafficking of firearms.

I have heard a South Texas Congressman make a similar claim an interview that a higher percentage of illegal immigrants coming up from Mexico are criminals compared to the rest of the US population.  Who is right?  

I get the impression, the author did 5 minutes research on each one before writing this.  Which underscores how easy it was to figure out the stuff in Missouri was based on a lie. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »
I have heard a South Texas Congressman make a similar claim an interview that a higher percentage of illegal immigrants coming up from Mexico are criminals compared to the rest of the US population.  Who is right?  

I get the impression, the author did 5 minutes research on each one before writing this.  Which underscores how easy it was to figure out the stuff in Missouri was based on a lie.  

Well, the ones here illegally have already violated the law.
To me it does not seem unreasonable to believe a lot of criminals come up from Mexico to escape their law, given how porous our borders are.  There was a big kerfuffle, documented well by Fauxsnew's Bill O'Reilly about an illegal, deported a number of times, who killed a young lady in San Francisco.  The local sheriff had refused to hold the bad guy for INS.
Among the vast majority who come here to work, I doubt their criminality rates are either VERY different than ours ..... or exactly the same.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »
Well, the ones here illegally have already violated the law.
To me it does not seem unreasonable to believe a lot of criminals come up from Mexico to escape their law, given how porous our borders are.  There was a big kerfuffle, documented well by Fauxsnew's Bill O'Reilly about an illegal, deported a number of times, who killed a young lady in San Francisco.  The local sheriff had refused to hold the bad guy for INS.
Among the vast majority who come here to work, I doubt their criminality rates are either VERY different than ours ..... or exactly the same.

The "study" that "debunked" that notion had several (purposefully manipulative) methodological problems:

1) It measured ALL immigrants, not just illegal. (I'm willing to bet LEGAL immigrants are less prone to criminality than the native population)
2) It compared immigrants to the same demographic groups in the United States to claim they were "no more prone towards criminality".

So what the study said is that immigrants (both legal and illegal) have the same (significantly higher than average) propensity towards criminality as the demographics with the highest propensity towards criminality in the U.S.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
well, I heard on NPR that 90,000 people had been killed by gunz since Newtown.
What we have here is failure to communicate.