Author Topic: Open Carry as political statement  (Read 4080 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Open Carry as political statement
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »
I'm of the mind that when you're being attacked for something, that is exactly the time to flaunt it, and let people know you're not going anywhere. Add to that the fact that the gun control frenzy of the past several months is just getting really old. All of the same myths and lies and non-solutions to non-problems, and then President Fast&Furious (D-Chicago) had to shoot the big mouth off about the gun laws in my state. So I'm going to quit concealing my sidearm for the next little while. Just to let the Luddites know that guns exist, people carry them safely, and people may as well get used to it.

Maybe more of us should do the same. I know it's not for everyone, and some of you are more concerned about the element of surprise. I won't tell you what to do.

FWIW, when I carry openly, I like to use a thumb-break holster, and keep my hands out of my pockets. And situational awareness is always important.

So that's where I am.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: Open Carry as political statement
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »
I have stopped concealing my side arm.  VA kind of pissed me off on the reciprocity thing, so I'm not even waiting til Feb 1.  So far no drama.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 05:25:08 PM »
Concealed carry is what I am used to and all my good holsters are IWB.  At least I don't have to worry about my shirt hanging up on my pistol.

I agree with your point about flaunting something when getting attacked.  If you support it and want it, there is no reason to crawfish and apologize.  That is part of why I love having Trump in the Republican presidential race. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »
If you support it and want it, there is no reason to crawfish and apologize. 

Auto-correct or colloquialism I am unfamiliar with?

I kind like the visual....

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 05:42:30 PM »
Colloquialism.
A crawfish moves by scurrying backwards when threatened.
Hence, if you crawfish you are backing away from a fight.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
Awesome.  I'm adding that to the repertoire.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »
While I do not OC, and probably will never do so, I don't look down or judge those who do.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
I'm of the mind that when you're being attacked for something, that is exactly the time to flaunt it, and let people know you're not going anywhere. Add to that the fact that the gun control frenzy of the past several months is just getting really old. All of the same myths and lies and non-solutions to non-problems, and then President Fast&Furious (D-Chicago) had to shoot the big mouth off about the gun laws in my state. So I'm going to quit concealing my sidearm for the next little while. Just to let the Luddites know that guns exist, people carry them safely, and people may as well get used to it.

Maybe more of us should do the same. I know it's not for everyone, and some of you are more concerned about the element of surprise. I won't tell you what to do.

FWIW, when I carry openly, I like to use a thumb-break holster, and keep my hands out of my pockets. And situational awareness is always important.

So that's where I am.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 09:48:48 PM »
Awesome.  I'm adding that to the repertoire.
I have spent my entire life in Central Texas and the Texas Gulf Coast.  Crawfish are common anywhere you get a decent amount of water, or just occasional water sometimes.  As kids, we used to try to catch them after big rains or when small streams dry up.  I guess that verb is in common use down here.

Do lobster move the same way?  No experience with them beyond the tank at seafood joints. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »
I don't know the range of crawdads, but we had them in east central Missouri, when I was a kid.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 11:41:21 PM »
To me, nothing says competence like a nice pistol in a nice rig, carried openly. Carry on, Fistful.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 12:13:36 AM »
I always OC were legal.   Simply because I hate having it jammed into my side.  It should be carried openly as G-d and JMB (PBUH) intended.

Maybe it is making a political statement, but I've always seen it as letting people know that we are out there carrying, and it's a Good Thing tm.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 12:45:28 AM »
I do both, depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 12:57:50 AM »
FWIW, I'll conceal when I'm in a church service. For one thing, church is about One higher than our earthly politics. For another, I'm not sure I want to know what happens when the guy collecting the offering has a big gat hanging there at eye level to the folks in the pews.  =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 01:08:36 AM »
You should pull it out and waggle it at the folks.  Might help them to open their wallets a little wider...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 01:09:30 AM »
I OC probably 95%+ of the time. If I have to put on a coat I go concealed until the coat comes off. I carry a 1911 in a Serpa CQC. Most people never see it. If going somewhere fancy for dinner or somewhere my wife really wants to go and OC may be a problem I will conceal it or carry a J frame in my pocket.

bob

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:28 AM »
I simply carry. If I'm wearing something that covers the pistol, it's "concealed". If I'm just in a shirt, it's "open"

Don't really think much about it beyond that
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
FWIW, I'll conceal when I'm in a church service. For one thing, church is about One higher than our earthly politics. For another, I'm not sure I want to know what happens when the guy collecting the offering has a big gat hanging there at eye level to the folks in the pews.  =)
My boss goes to a Cowboy Church.  He said he wore his single action revolver in a Western holster last Sunday.  I thought it sounded appropriate.  He said no one noticed until he was asked to stand up an give a closing prayer or something like that.  He thinks more attendees will be doing the same in the future. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 09:59:34 AM »
You should pull it out and waggle it at the folks.  Might help them to open their wallets a little wider...

I'll bring that up at the next board of trustees meeting.  We are always looking for more ways to fund physical plant projects.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
I'm not a fan of OC.  Though I don't object to it, particularly for the reason in the OP.  Even science confirms that OC should happen.  "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.  I tell the whiners that.  The more liberals whine about "common sense gun laws" the more free men will oppose that nonsense. 

I always carry concealed.  We're in Florida till spring, and I think Florida does not allow OC.  I'll have to check.  When we get home to Michigan, I may consider OC as a statement, though I'm not really into that.   Mostly what I do is try and reason with folks about why are they frightened by CC.  If you don't know someone is carrying, why are you afraid?  Then I usually tell them that wherever they go, there is a fair chance that someone has a concealed weapon on their person nearby, and how many gun battles have you seen in your lifetime.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »

It might also encourage serious consideration of one's readiness for the hereafter.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
Addendum to this thread.

I needed some rye flour today, and the Food Lion doesn't carry it.  So I swung into Whole Foods on my errand trip......While OCing.

HOLY.......*expletive deleted*it.........

No one (that I know of) called the cops, and no employee asked me to leave.  But I did get a couple people following me around the store talking loudly about the evils of guns.  I said "excuse me" to a lady that I reached past and she said "OK, Don't Shoot!", a dude with dyed blue hair in skinny jeans, flannel shirt, pea coat, and (hand to gods) a cashmere scarf openly questioned my masculinity, and my personal favorite, a young lady actually hissed and bared her teeth at me. :laugh:

And they were out of rye flour, so I still can't make the loaf of bread I want.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 07:22:32 PM »
Not real freakin bright are they?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »
No one (that I know of) called the cops, and no employee asked me to leave.  But I did get a couple people following me around the store talking loudly about the evils of guns.  I said "excuse me" to a lady that I reached past and she said "OK, Don't Shoot!", a dude with dyed blue hair in skinny jeans, flannel shirt, pea coat, and (hand to gods) a cashmere scarf openly questioned my masculinity, and my personal favorite, a young lady actually hissed and bared her teeth at me. laugh

:rofl:

Bait them gently.  Just smile and wave, and move on.

Not real freakin bright are they?

"If gun owners were as dangerous as they say we are...."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
Dogmush - my flippin' hero.  :rofl: The Whole Foods in my area are posted, so I don't go there.