Author Topic: WALMART is GOING TO DIE!!!  (Read 7856 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
WALMART is GOING TO DIE!!!
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:56 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/15/walmart-to-close-154-stores-in-us-10000-workers-affected.html?intcmp=hplnws

Or, the headline sure tries to suggest that.

From the article, is seems they are mostly shutting down the "Walmart Express" locations, signalling they've given up competing directly with Dollar General.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: WALMART is GOING TO DIE!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
I've never even heard of Wal-Mart Express. I guess I won't miss it, then.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »

Think Dollar General with Walmart branding.  There aren't many of them.   

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »

ditto.

enough dollar stores around here.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
If they'll kill off the "neighborhood markets" (grocery only Walmarts) too, we'll be in much better shape.  I hate punching Walmart into the GPS when I'm far from home and need socks or a taillight bulb and being directed to one of those.  Usually right across the street from an Albertson's or Tom Thumb.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:26:26 AM »
In the U.S., 154 locations will be closed, most of them small format stores called Walmart Express, which were launched as a test program in 2011.

A "test program" of ~154 stores.   :O 

Oh, well, my warm-up set for the bench press is also absurd to some folk.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 11:33:24 AM »
Note that a lot of these stores are in a foreign location. (Brazil) Draw whatever conclusion you want from that.

Makes me wonder how many of the domestic stores being closed are in nasty places. (Ferguson, perhaps?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
Woolworth fell, so will Wal-Mart someday.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
Note that a lot of these stores are in a foreign location. (Brazil) Draw whatever conclusion you want from that.

Makes me wonder how many of the domestic stores being closed are in nasty places. (Ferguson, perhaps?)

Faithful Ferguson Correspondent here:

There is a "Super Center" in Ferguson. I haven't seen any "Express" stores around here in person, or on the Googlmaps.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 02:05:55 PM »
If they'll kill off the "neighborhood markets" (grocery only Walmarts) too, we'll be in much better shape.  I hate punching Walmart into the GPS when I'm far from home and need socks or a taillight bulb and being directed to one of those.  Usually right across the street from an Albertson's or Tom Thumb.

:lol:

I remembered you having said that when I posted. I thought you'd appreciate this news.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
Woolworth fell, so will Wal-Mart someday.

If it does, it will be replaced by something in the same niche.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 02:34:34 PM »
All the defunct Walmarts and other big-boxes that don't get turned into local community mega-churches... they might make good FOB's for Amazon drones.

I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »
I never knew about the "walmart express" idea. Obviously, they never bothered around here (you can throw a rock in any direction and hit either a Dollar General, Family Tree or the other one, and that doesn't even count the real dollar stores) and I wouldn't have even guessed they would try going smaller, since all I've seen with new Walmarts is new "super centers" and old Walmarts being turned into super centers.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 02:51:37 PM »
The store located at Virginia Commonwealth University is closed - not sure how long it has been gone as I only make a run for kimchi at the Korean place near there once a month.

It was like a 7-11 but with higher prices (if that does not tell you a few things) and shorter hours.  According to my one and only undergraduate source at VCU the draw was more "It's one block closer than 7-11 and they don't have street people all over the parking lot."  (Hard to do when there is no parking lot at the WME. =))

They seem to be less than even competition with the dollar stores as pretty much of of those have grocery staples and I'm told the WME did not.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »
The store located at Virginia Commonwealth University is closed - not sure how long it has been gone as I only make a run for kimchi at the Korean place near there once a month.

It was like a 7-11 but with higher prices (if that does not tell you a few things) and shorter hours.  According to my one and only undergraduate source at VCU the draw was more "It's one block closer than 7-11 and they don't have street people all over the parking lot."  (Hard to do when there is no parking lot at the WME. =))

They seem to be less than even competition with the dollar stores as pretty much of of those have grocery staples and I'm told the WME did not.

stay safe.

There's places around VCU without street people? whodathunkit.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »
All the defunct Walmarts and other big-boxes that don't get turned into local community mega-churches... they might make good FOB's for Amazon drones.

No,no,no... they will become FEMA camps. [tinfoil]
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »
Many people are OK with the stores closing but I for one am alarmed. What will the closings do to the submission of photos to the People of Walmart website. Why it could become as irrelevant as WTF Japan in a matter of a few years. What will I do for entertainment while the little woman is watching reruns of Golden Girls for 18,000th time?!?!?!  I am worried here. ;)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »

I once saw Pearljam play in an emptied out grocery store so that is an option.  Soundgarden was the headliner on that one. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
No,no,no... they will become FEMA camps. [tinfoil]

LIKE I SAID...

[tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 12:16:30 AM »
As long as we're playing this game, I have heard of a Christian denomination that started out by holding services in a former grocery store in the Illinois.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »
If the can be repurposed as mosques, maybe "the faithful" can do their daily prayers without clogging up the sidewalks and the streets.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »
As long as we're playing this game, I have heard of a Christian denomination that started out by holding services in a former grocery store in the Illinois.

I like the way you craft your sentences.  "The Illinois."
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »
The ones here in Oklahoma have only been open for a year or so.  Some of the complaints are they came in and as usual run of the "mom & pop" places that were local and now closing up, leaving them with nothing.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 03:07:18 PM »
According to a local news report, at least some of the closures were due to excessive shoplifting and other crime-related losses.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
According to a local news report, at least some of the closures were due to excessive shoplifting and other crime-related losses.

Crazy talk.  It's clearly because white people are trying to build food deserts.  There's no other logical explanation why a business would close and/or move out of a neighborhood.