Author Topic: Mail Order Shaving Supplies  (Read 11642 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Mail Order Shaving Supplies
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 07:03:49 AM »
Amazon is good for blades, wait till the price drops. Think it was 24 bucks for the last hundred feathers. [popcorn]

Cream, well it tends to be dried out. :facepalm: still works though, and it's cheap.

Oh and the merkers are way overpriced now. [ar15]

If you like myrrh c&e has a winner. Well the scent, not quite as good in use as the old stuff. The eu ruins everything they touch.

http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-crabtreeevelyn_us-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=Moroccan-Myrrh-Shave-Cream

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 07:43:15 AM »
I used to shave every other day. Now, though, that I've started shaving with the DE, I've gotten very used to shaving every day (sometimes on the weekends I'll not shave).

I shave in the evening before I go to bed. The DE does such a good job that I'm still not sporting much of a beard until early afternoon the ext day. I do have a light beard, though.

And don't let Mtnbkr's stories about shaving fool you. He's done full Grizzly Adams. Gay Grizzly Adams, with a foo foo bear...  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »
While I've also heard that keeping blades dry will extend their life, I'd be a little leery of using alcohol to do so.  Isopropyl alcohol is quite hygroscopic.  In 70% isopropyl, that remaining 30% is water.  Even if you spring for the 91% or 99%, you'd have to store it in a tightly sealed container to prevent it from absorbing atmospheric moisture.  Maybe alcohol chemically reduces the likelihood of rust even in the presence of water, but if so I'm not sure of the mechanism.  Sounds like an experiment is in order.

A quick rinse with alcohol and then letting it air dry as opposed to an alcohol bath might avoid those problems and would still keep the blade pretty sterile if that is a concern.

Then again, we're talking about a blade that costs about ten cents each each in bulk.  A small bottle of 99% alcohol costs about as much as 30 or 35 brand new DE blades.  Add to that the additional hassle of storing the blades, the additional bathroom clutter ...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »
OTC rubbing alcohol does, as you say, have quite a bit of water in it. But, the alcohol component does a very good job of evaporating the water away as the alcohol evaporates, so you end up with something that is a lot dryer a lot sooner than if you were simply to rinse it in water and shake it dry.

An easy experiment is to take two cotton balls, one wet with water, the other with alcohol, and wipe a streak down your mirror and watch the evaporation process. The alcohol streak, even with it being 30% water, will be dry a lot sooner.

As for blades, this isn't good just for DE blades; it's also recommended for the expensive cartridge razors.

As for storing alcohol, I always have a bottle on hand. I use it every morning to swab out my ears after I shower. If I don't I have problems with the water causing ear infections.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »
Alcohol is also a degreaser so it should remove a lot of the corrosive oils and related gunk from the skin.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »
Alcohol is also a degreaser so it should remove a lot of the corrosive oils and related gunk from the skin.

Especially if you use 90-91% on your face immediately after shaving...  >:D >:D >:D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »
You don't like aqua velva? >:D

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 12:31:55 PM »
You don't like aqua velva? >:D
always tasted too bitter for me
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 01:41:58 PM »
always tasted too bitter for me

You have to filter it through a loaf of bread first...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
That makes sense, Mike.  For some reason I was thinking of an alcohol bath.

It also makes more sense with a more costly blade.  I've heard of people suggesting simply swiping the blades backward on a dry towel (almost like stropping, but really just to remove excess water) as a method of keeping blades dry and thus extending life.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 06:44:23 AM »
That makes sense, Mike.  For some reason I was thinking of an alcohol bath.

It also makes more sense with a more costly blade.  I've heard of people suggesting simply swiping the blades backward on a dry towel (almost like stropping, but really just to remove excess water) as a method of keeping blades dry and thus extending life.
works really well with the feather straight. :angel:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 09:59:18 AM »
I've been doing the dollar shave club for a year or two.  I have no complaints. Cheap shaves, works well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »
I ordered my sample pack of blades for a DE safety razor and the Merkur handle from West Coast Shaving. That reminds me it's time to order some Feather blades, but I'll likely get them from Amazon.

If I hadn't gone the DE route I would have likely gone with Dollar Shave Club or similar.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
FYI:
Shaving using the cheap pink hand soap at the wash basins in the locker room while trying to get one more shave out of your DESR blade is contraindicated.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »
Shaving using the cheap pink hand soap at the wash basins in the locker room while trying to get one more shave out of your DESR blade is contraindicated.
Everyone knows that Orange Goop is the proper shaving soap.  The pumice sharpens the blade as you go.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
and use the Van Hyugen blades to round out the experience... >:D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 01:27:34 PM »
Everyone knows that Orange Goop is the proper shaving soap.  The pumice sharpens the blade as you go.

Hey, why didn't I think of that?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »
The Harry's trial was $3.  Figured I'd go with that first.  If it sucks I'll try DSC.  It's kind of confusing to try to do a real price comparison between Harry's and DSC, but I think the Harry's is slightly more in the long run.  However it got better reviews from those that tried both, and I can make it a bit cheaper by not buying their foaming gel.  That and getting 16 blades at a time puts it at the same cost as DSC even long term.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »
^^^  Yep, I've been using Harry's for a few months now.  I cancelled the foam and doubled up on the blades.  I shave my punkin' head while in the shower... lathered up real good with soap.  When I get out, I shave before drying all the way off.  Keep one Harry's shaver in a rack in the shower, and the other in the $15 aluminum (?) handle holder on the vanity. I'm a cheapass, and change each blade about every 2 weeks.  Be careful when you first start using them.  I did lose a lot of blood before I gained the proper respect for the system.

Also, FWIW, the Harry's stuff along with the Trym trimmers (nose and body) make for an aesthetically pleasing array on the vanity.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 12:39:13 PM »
Got my Harry's "free" (just pay $3 shipping!!!) sample in the mail yesterday.  Went ahead and used it this morning.  Had to trim before I could shave as the >2 week growth would have been too much for almost any razor.  Granted, 16 days or so growth for me is equivalent to about 5-7 days growth for some guys.  Anyway, I'd say the Harry's razor was every bit as good as the Gillette 5 blade razors.  Probably not much if any better, but at least as good.  I did not use the included shave gel as I have lots of store bought shave gel/foam already.  Figured I'd save the Harry's gel for when I travel as it's 2oz so therefore OK to fly with in carry-on bags.  I did notice that at times the hair didn't want to rinse off the blade very well, but those just the ones that didn't get trimmed as well ahead of time.  We'll see how it holds up, but if the blades last even just half as long it'll be WAY cheaper.