Author Topic: "Fahrenheit 451" and the SJWs  (Read 8206 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: "Fahrenheit 451" and the SJWs
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »
All kids really need is the bible.  It will teach them about the importance of low taxes, balanced budgets, and refraining from destroying the poor through handouts.

If more kids were raised on the bible we just might have achieved paradise by now.  Jesus couldn't have been clearer in explaining how important it is to be wealthy, and our kids learning about that would no doubt set us on the right track

:P
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/02/living/america-christian-nation/

You are going to post an article to CNN to prove your point to a man in his 50's who was a history major, who has spent most of his adult life reading history, political science, philosophy and theology for fun?

Who in this thread said America was founded as a Christian nation? You are setting up a straw man. All you are doing is regurgitating propaganda designed to ease your conscious over your antipathy toward Christianity.

Having said that, our founders actually believed in truth, that reality could be known and discovered. They believed in inalienable rights and natural law as something that existed and could be discovered. Enlightenment thought is much closer to where I'm at than where modern society is at philosophically (some tangent off of post modernism).

Considering that enlightenment thought was based upon an understanding of Aquinas and a whole host of other Christian thinkers as well as the Greek classics the very idea of contrasting them as being as oppositional as this article does is basically revisionist propaganda ignoring the full continuum of thought at the time.

Our founders were very very much "cultural Christians", it was the water they swam in and took for granted.

By the way, separation of church and state is as much a new world Christian idea as it is enlightenment. Try reading up on Roger Williams a bit and his influence on the founders.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/god-government-and-roger-williams-big-idea-6291280/?no-ist

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
About taxes? No it is about control, just like the antigun movement is. If I don't like it, no one should be able to like it. If I don't think my children should see it in school, then no one's children should be able to see it.

"Censorship: the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts."

By that logic, if an EBT card can't be used to buy cigarettes, cigarettes are being "suppressed." People are not being allowed to "like them." The folks in Bradbury's novel destroyed books so that no one could read them. Had the firemen simply refused to provide books, free of charge, it would be an awfully mediocre work.

Your analogy to the anti-gun movement perfectly explains the flaw in your reasoning. If they were after the sort of "control" you're talking about, I could buy a silenced machine gun at the corner store. I just wouldn't be able to check it out from the public library.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
All kids really need is the bible.  It will teach them about the importance of low taxes, balanced budgets, and refraining from destroying the poor through handouts.

If more kids were raised on the bible we just might have achieved paradise by now.  Jesus couldn't have been clearer in explaining how important it is to be wealthy, and our kids learning about that would no doubt set us on the right track

True. The Bible has a lot to say about the dangers of intrusive government, the importance of hard work and money management; and that Christians must be self-reliant, and be charitable w/o simply enabling sloth. It turns out that if you actually read the Bible, you find a great deal of practical wisdom relevant to our everyday lives.

Good comment, De Selby.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife