Author Topic: "Alt-right"? Huh?  (Read 2459 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Alt-right"? Huh?
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:16:49 PM »
What is this now?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: "Alt-right"? Huh?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:26:55 PM »
One of 4chans more successful trolls. A small sub-genre of neckbeards who reject the sort of moderate "conservatism" embodied by McConnell and Boehner (which is great!) and instead call for literal fascism, extermination of the Jews etc (which is not). It seems to be largely composed of the same fringey types that flocked to neo-reaction for a while. Mostly associated with yuge amounts of shitposting and memes. According to their defenders (such as Milo) they don't actually believe all of the passionate calls for the institution of a fascist .gov or genocide or etc, they're just saying it to rile people up.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »
One of 4chans more successful trolls. A small sub-genre of neckbeards who reject the sort of moderate "conservatism" embodied by McConnell and Boehner (which is great!) and instead call for literal fascism, extermination of the Jews etc (which is not). It seems to be largely composed of the same fringey types that flocked to neo-reaction for a while. Mostly associated with yuge amounts of shitposting and memes. According to their defenders (such as Milo) they don't actually believe all of the passionate calls for the institution of a fascist .gov or genocide or etc, they're just saying it to rile people up.

So, basically, they actually are what the liberal side of the fence has been accusing conservatives of being for decades?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »
So, basically, they actually are what the liberal side of the fence has been accusing conservatives of being for decades?

/shrugs Or they're pretending to be on the internet, who knows? I think there is a whole generation of people who are 1. starved for attention and 2. have no concept of any sort of morality. So online stalking internet famous Jewish people to brag about how you'll make them watch as you throw their kids into the ovens after Trump gets elected is a pretty logical step. They are to political discourse what guys with MLP waifu are to sex. And frankly I think the Venn diagram between those two groups would overlap a lot.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 06:06:11 PM »
/shrugs Or they're pretending to be on the internet, who knows? I think there is a whole generation of people who are 1. starved for attention and 2. have no concept of any sort of morality. So online stalking internet famous Jewish people to brag about how you'll make them watch as you throw their kids into the ovens after Trump gets elected is a pretty logical step. They are to political discourse what guys with MLP waifu are to sex. And frankly I think the Venn diagram between those two groups would overlap a lot.

From what I've read about bronies, you are probably correct.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:17:07 PM »
Neo-reaction? What is this now?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »
Neo-reaction? What is this now?

They seem to be monarchists, often religious, old school Roman Catholics and the like. They seem to think that curtailing liberties as long as the right folks are in charge is an OK thing.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 06:58:50 PM »
Nrx is another in the long line of ideologies that are good at identifying the problem, but their solutions are not necessarily the best.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »
Nrx is another in the long line of ideologies that are good at identifying the problem, but their solutions are not necessarily the best.

I concur, I read more than a few Nrx blogs.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »
They seem to be monarchists, often religious, old school Roman Catholics and the like. They seem to think that curtailing liberties as long as the right folks are in charge is an OK thing.

Never heard of it.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »
Haven't seen it, but from your descriptions, could they be set up by uber leftists to push "middlers" more toward the left?  That was my first paranodal thought just from reading the posts.

[tinfoil]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:33:43 PM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »
Ctrl + Alt-Right + Del
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
Haven't seen it, but from your descriptions, could they be set up by uber leftists to push "middlers" more toward the left?  That was my first paranodal thought just from reading the posts.

[tinfoil]

No need for a conspiracy theory when you have natural born nuts that are crazy on their own.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 10:34:29 PM »
Neoreactionaries share a lot in common with Paleoconservatives.

Paleoconservatives haven't given up on our representative government though.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 11:03:07 PM »
Alright, paleo-cons - finally something I've heard of.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 02:45:25 AM »
Slate Star Codex has the best recap of nrx I've seen, and it's written from the perspective of someone outside the belief system. Mike Anissimov was one of the saner voices in the movement until he either went nuts or started getting paid to advocate a crazy position depending on who you believe. Moldbug is the quintessential voice of the movement but he has a writing style deliberately calculated to be difficult to read. And if you're not aspie or a computer programmer (ideally both) the logic will probably strike you as a bit lacking.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »
I'm making my way through the Slate Star Codex thing on Reaction, and it is quite interesting. I happened on this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/opinion/beijing-a-boon-for-africa.html?_r=0

Noo York Timez says colonialism might be OK!  :O  (if you're not white  ;/ )