Author Topic: Opinions on gutter guards  (Read 3083 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Opinions on gutter guards
« on: July 10, 2016, 06:35:21 PM »
I just spent the last few hours pressure-washing my gutters clean using an extension lance and a curved gutter cleaner attachment.  The novelty has worn off.  Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion on gutter guards, especially the DIY type?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
Re: Opinions on gutter guards
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:50:52 PM »
Do not contemplate Gutter Helmet brand.  The concept sounds good, but the implementation  is bad. They nail down the upper portion of the Helmet on top of the shingle.  They claim their sealant is fool proof.  It's not.   It leads to all sorts of problems. They do not respond to your complaints and it'll cost you more than you want to spend to sue them.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »
And they lock you into a "must buy roof replacement from us" contract to sustain warranty. It's pricey as heck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:30:09 PM »
I had my gutters replaced about 15 years ago, maybe a bit longer, and had the company put gutter screens on them. They come out once a year and clean the gutters, make sure they're holding in place, and adjust the screens.

Cheap money to keep me off a ladder.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:52:09 PM »
Cheap money to keep me off a ladder.

That right there. Some things are worth paying some other guy to do. As I get older, I like ladders less and less.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:11:02 AM »
I have gutters that fill with leaves and tree schmutz all the time, thanks to oak trees.

Since my house is one story (a little higher on one side due to a sloped lot) I got a 10 foot length of vinyl downspout (cross section roughly 2" x 3") from Home Depot and a couple of elbows and made an extension for my Toro electric leaf blower.

Works great, keeps my feet on the ground, and only cost about $10.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 07:23:08 AM »
The cheapie expnaded metal or mesh type that fit under the shingles and metal screw into the outer top lip of the gutter work great.  Going on 14 years of not having to do diddly to clean out the gutters.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
Re:
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
The lil robot gutter cleaner is fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 05:51:40 PM »
Costco has some micro mesh guards-the screen looks small enough to not get clogged with maple seed stems and fir needles.  Have not tried them but it looks like it might work.

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »
This stuff is my favorite
https://bonanzleimages.s3.amazonaws.com/afu/images/2983/6928/94/__1.jpg

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
This stuff is my favorite
https://bonanzleimages.s3.amazonaws.com/afu/images/2983/6928/94/__1.jpg

Does anyone have experience with the "big pipe cleaner" looking ones?