Author Topic: A new telemarketing tactic?  (Read 1794 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
A new telemarketing tactic?
« on: July 11, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »
I've noticed over the last few months that, when I pick up my home phone, I get the signal that I have a voicemail. That's unusual because the phone usually didn't ring. When I check the voicemails, they've all been from telemarketers.

How are they getting to my voicemail without ringing the phone? Have you experienced this?

Neemi

• friend
Re: A new telemarketing tactic?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:57:10 PM »
I used to leave voicemails without calling people all the time.  [popcorn]

It was for work - I worked for one of the big cell providers and we had to leave regular reports for the manager, so we'd go into the voicemail system and there's a way (through there) to leave someone a voicemail without it ringing their phone. It's been quite some time since I worked for the company, but it's something I've used on occasion since for leaving info for family members I didn't want to chance answering their phones.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 09:03:37 PM »
I've noticed a HUGE upswing in the number of calls my private and work cell get lately trying to sell insurance, home security systems, the Indian call center "Dees eees Micruseft calling about dee virus on yer compooter!", or the Text-to-speech recorded messages about fines, warrants, or civil court judgment defaults in other states and owing the IRS back taxes.

Just like in the past six months, I've been getting 2-3 a week.

I'm guessing it's like when you mistakenly answer spam or click a link to try and get off the list, when I answered the first few calls, I guess the numbers went on a premium database of "real live human here" numbers that gets passed or sold around to the various scammers. My natural inclination to get a live person on the line and try to entertain myself by wasting their time and stalling them, or being abusive verbally has backfired.
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 09:31:33 PM »

I'm guessing it's like when you mistakenly answer spam or click a link to try and get off the list, when I answered the first few calls, I guess the numbers went on a premium database of "real live human here" numbers that gets passed or sold around to the various scammers. My natural inclination to get a live person on the line and try to entertain myself by wasting their time and stalling them, or being abusive verbally has backfired.

My wife has this paranoid-ish notion that we're been being stalked, for years, because we get a lot of phone calls where no one answers when you pick up.   
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:53:50 PM »
I am continually telling my Mother that no, the hang up calls you are getting every day are not people out to get you, they are telemarketers checking to see if yours is a live line.

I've also noticed a recent uptick in calls, especially to my cell number.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »
Monkeyleg - check your voicemail.

https://www.slydial.com/

In your scenario they are probably using something like this:
http://www.slybroadcast.com/

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 11:24:52 AM »
Monkeyleg - check your voicemail.

https://www.slydial.com/

So you're the one leaving the telemarketing messages. ;)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:13:44 PM »
Years ago, not long after I met him, Mtnbkr and I got on this subject, and he mentioned that the one reason why he had gone to cell phones was the lack of telemarketing calls.

A few weeks later I called him, and offered to sell him new aluminum siding for his mausoleum...

Ballistic isn't quite the word I'd use for how he went.  [ar15]

Took me a couple of seconds of trying to talk through his rant before he calmed down enough to realize who it was... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 12:22:48 PM »
^^^^  You are evil, sir.  I approve.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 12:23:17 PM »
^^^^  You are evil, sir.  I approve.

+1
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 12:31:06 PM »
I do my best.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »
So you're the one leaving the telemarketing messages. ;)
Our home security systems are such a deal!  And we can save you lots of money on interest rates!