Author Topic: Turkish military coup  (Read 2505 times)

zahc

• friend
Turkish military coup
« on: July 15, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

Somebody told me there was a coup attempt going on in Turkey. While googling it I found a list of coups in Turkey that is pretty long. Is this just their hobby, or is it a big deal?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Military_coups_in_Turkey
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Turkish military coup
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

Somebody told me there was a coup attempt going on in Turkey. While googling it I found a list of coups in Turkey that is pretty long. Is this just their hobby, or is it a big deal?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Military_coups_in_Turkey

Mayhap the Turk military is doing their duty as guarantors of stable Turkish secular gov't.  Erdogan undermined that role a lot the last few years and purged the top military leadership, but the mid-level officers might just have rolled over him. 

Or, it might be the Gulenist fundy faction HQ'd in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania activated its test-prep boys in the military.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

agricola

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »
Mayhap the Turk military is doing their duty as guarantors of stable Turkish secular gov't.  Erdogan undermined that role a lot the last few years and purged the top military leadership, but the mid-level officers might just have rolled over him. 

Or, it might be the Gulenist fundy faction HQ'd in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania activated its test-prep boys in the military.

The Gulen lot are the one being blamed by the AKP, apparently.  Hard to see how anyone will be that bothered if he is kicked out though.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »
It's a Turkish national past time.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »

This was my immediate thought -- along with the passing notion that it's long overdue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »
Obama is supporting Erdogan.  That's enough to make me hope the coup is successful.
"It's good, though..."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 09:23:07 PM »
Obama is supporting Erdogan.  That's enough to make me hope the coup is successful.

The coup is almost certainly Saudi sponsored.

But hey, democracy and freedom are the best!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:01:52 PM »
Comtemporary turkish politics background:
http://www.unz.com/isteve/turkish-attempted-coup-background/

Doubt it is saudi backed.  Gulenist or secularist.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 11:16:53 PM »
Reports coming out now that the coup has failed.  Bloomberg is reporting coup failure, while other sites are reporting uncertainty as to who is in control.  Erdogan is back in Istanbul.

On a side note, anyone want to bet oil jumps substantially in tomorrow's trading?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 11:22:11 PM »
Reports coming out now that the coup has failed.  Bloomberg is reporting coup failure, while other sites are reporting uncertainty as to who is in control.  Erdogan is back in Istanbul.

My favorite  news site doesn't know if it failed;  too many conflicting reports.

Terror attack in Nice, France one day, coup d'etat  in Turkey the next......we are living in interesting times.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Turkish military coup
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 08:00:10 AM »
My favorite  news site doesn't know if it failed;  too many conflicting reports.

Terror attack in Nice, France one day, coup d'etat  in Turkey the next......we are living in interesting times.
When the dominant world power purposely withdraws from the world, things get interesting.

Pax Americana did not last as long as Pax Romana.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
When the dominant world power purposely withdraws from the world, things get interesting.

Pax Americana did not last as long as Pax Romana.

Well, this morning, it seems beyond question the coup failed.
I guess Turkey is going to wind up an Islamic state, under Shariah Law.

I feel bad for the people there .... they are ...."were?".... an ally of America.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »
I just received an e-mail from the only Turk I know -- who has lived in the U.S. for 25 years or more and is married to an American friend of mine. Her view seems to be that the coup failed and that was regrettable, but she and her family don't like Erdogan and they don't like where he is trying to take Turkey.

What I don't know is whether her family in Turkey are mainstream, or outlyers ...

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
And now because of this clumsy, ill-conceived coup attempt Erdogan is going to end up with vastly more power.

Why if I were a cynical sort..... 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »
I just received an e-mail from the only Turk I know -- who has lived in the U.S. for 25 years or more and is married to an American friend of mine. Her view seems to be that the coup failed and that was regrettable, but she and her family don't like Erdogan and they don't like where he is trying to take Turkey.

What I don't know is whether her family in Turkey are mainstream, or outlyers ...

I'm betting the Turkish gentleman who is good friends with my bosses is not happy. From what I understand he had some direct links (or at least, semi direct) to the attempt.
I would think that most Turks in the US are probably on the "don't like the current status quo" side of the fence. I'm not sure what the deal is on the ground in Turkey, though.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
Well, this morning, it seems beyond question the coup failed.
I guess Turkey is going to wind up an Islamic state, under Shariah Law.

I feel bad for the people there .... they are ...."were?".... an ally of America.

Probably, but even the attempt or a threat of a military coup has weakened the government or forced parliamentary or presidential change in Turkey in the past.
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »
The failed coup will probably speed the implementation of Sharia law.  Turkey's secular government will become a thing of the past.
At some point the not too distant future I am sure Turkey will be kicked out of NATO.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 11:15:32 PM »
The failed coup will probably speed the implementation of Sharia law.  Turkey's secular government will become a thing of the past.
At some point the not too distant future I am sure Turkey will be kicked out of NATO.

This crisis is a result of Erdogan's efforts to aggregate power unto himself, and to rewrite Turkey's constitution to (a) consolidate power to the presidency and (b) establish Shariah as the basis of the Turkish legal system. It's not a surprise that the military finally reacted -- what's surprising (to me) is that the effort apparently wasn't coordinated and supported throughout the military, and that so many of the people didn't support the take-over.

Meanwhile, Egypt has block a UN Security Council resolution supporting Erdogan's government. And the Turkish government has turned off power to the U.S. air base at Incirlik, and closed Turkish air space to military flights.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/07/16/turkey-cuts-power-to-incirlik-air-base-suspends-military-flights.html

I don't think this is over yet.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »
Erdogan's "winning" could just as easily create an overreach with the purges already underway that sets up his fall IMO. Roughly 1600 troops and 3000 judges/prosecutors. And how many had anything to do with the coup? And that sort of thing could alienate the Turks that were initially on "his side".

Things are still in a state of flux IMO. Not saying Erdogan will fall, but IMO it's not over yet either.

Putting aside Gary Johnson/Libertarians polling higher than ever, and sit-it-out Bernie supporters and #NeverTrump etc. for the moment, I do think the more unrest, terrorism, and uncertainty in the world that happens, both abroad, and here at home between now and Nov. 1 probably plays better for Trump than it does Hillary.

So now we're pitting Trump's non-experience against Hillary's greater experience at doing all the wrong things.

Old Chinese proverbs/curses come to mind.

I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 02:01:00 AM »
There is also speculation from more than one source that Erdogan might have orchestrated the "coup" himself, as a means to consolidate power.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
This crisis is a result of Erdogan's efforts to aggregate power unto himself, and to rewrite Turkey's constitution to (a) consolidate power to the presidency and (b) establish Shariah as the basis of the Turkish legal system. It's not a surprise that the military finally reacted -- what's surprising (to me) is that the effort apparently wasn't coordinated and supported throughout the military, and that so many of the people didn't support the take-over.

Meanwhile, Egypt has block a UN Security Council resolution supporting Erdogan's government. And the Turkish government has turned off power to the U.S. air base at Incirlik, and closed Turkish air space to military flights.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/07/16/turkey-cuts-power-to-incirlik-air-base-suspends-military-flights.html

I don't think this is over yet.

We must have gotten a whiff of it about a month or so ago.  I posted a story on FB about a story I saw on AFN or in Stars and Stripes about us NEO'ing all the dependents and Family Members at Incirlik to Ramstein.

Yeah, it's a long way from over.  The Turkish military has always been somewhat Pro-western and an anchor to keep the country pointed that way.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.