Author Topic: Games  (Read 3325 times)

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Games
« on: April 27, 2005, 10:31:29 AM »
I'm looking for a few new games.

What board games or card games do you folks play with friends and family?

We like Cribbage, Canasta, Backgammon, and Scrabble.

We used to play Risk, but it gets too close to fisticuffs at our house. lol

spacemanspiff

Games
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 10:50:48 AM »
cribbage
pea knuckle ( i cant spell the word right so were going foe-net-ick!)
chess
Wear a Yellow Armband!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Games
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:03:37 AM »
Cards
Cribbage, Euchre, Pepper, Hearts, Knock Poker, Texas Hold 'em Poker, Draw Poker, 31, Blackjack

Board Games
Backgammon, Scrabble, Monopoly, Life, Clue, Checkers, Chess, Risk, Jenga (regular and truth or dare)

Other
Bocce, Croquet
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Games
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:34:20 AM »
lol spaceman - no problem!
Wow Charby, never a dull moment at your place.  What's Jenga?

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Games
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 12:39:29 PM »
It's "pinochle."  You need a special 48-card deck (with 2 each of 9s, 10s, Js, Qs, Ks, and As).  It's a great game.  My whole family is hooked on it.  Scrabble is also a lot of fun.

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
Games
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 12:42:48 PM »
definately chess!

cfabe

• friend
Games
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 01:16:54 PM »
We play scrabble here when we feel like a board game

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
Games
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 05:10:44 PM »
Trivial Pursuit is pretty popular with my family.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

BillBlank

• friend
Games
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 10:53:16 PM »
BrrlGrrl -

Jenga - A stack of about 14 layers of rectangular wooden blocks, 3 blocks in each layer, each layer at 90 degrees to the next. Each player takes it in turns to remove a block from the layer of their choice. Whoever topples the stack is the loser.

Geek house here so I've got a dedicated games server and three or four machines that'll cope with most games apart from HL2 doom 3. That and an adsl line means few board games.

(embarrassing thing I would only admit under the anonimity of the internet #127a)  We also do those Murder mystery parties about once every two months with friends.

Regards

Bill
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Games
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 01:14:18 AM »
It's "pinochle."  You need a special 48-card deck (with 2 each of 9s, 10s, Js, Qs, Ks, and As).
Just to clarify for Brrlgrrl, it's two each sets of four of those cards 9 through Ace.
You can either buy a Pinochle deck or, use just those cards from two full decks. In addition, if you like Euchre, a Pinochle deck equals two Euchre decks (only the 9's through Aces are used in Euchre).
We always buy Pinochle decks to play Euchre because once you play Euchre (or Pinochle) with cards from a full deck the 9's through Aces are worn and they are not much good for anything else, especially Blackjack.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

dinosaur

Games
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 02:37:04 AM »
We used to play 4 handed pinochle a lot when I was in the service. Before I retired we played 3 handed in the bar. A lot of money changed hands in those games!:O

brimic

• friends
Games
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 03:47:16 AM »
Cribbage, sheepshead, Euchre.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

...has left the building.

Games
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 05:31:27 AM »
I'm a big fan of drinking games and poker.

But for more PC friends and family, I like to play 500, Risk, Battle of the Sexes, Worst Case Scenario, and Euchre.

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Games
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 05:34:29 AM »
Thanks for all the game ideas!  
I "googled" Jenga to see what that was about ( apparently I don't get out much! lol ).
Thanks to the overwhelming interest in pinochle, I think it's time to buy a pinochle deck.
BillBlank- I have quite a few games on the computer at work, but sadly no computer at home.  While growing up we had two well worn Hoyle "bibles", so card games are a must.  I have Hoyle card games as well as Hoyle board games taking up space on the office computer.  My first stop every morning for a little brain excercise is Shockwave for the jigsaw puzzle.
Also, I would love to do the murder mystery parties!  Do you dress up?  Food and drink themed?  Oh the possibilities!

BillBlank

• friend
Games
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 05:52:20 AM »
Dressing up is compulsory, mascara makes for an excellent moustache for those of us that are foliccally challenged in that area.  Needs eight people for it to be fun though. Helps if one or two are complete drama queeens. *looks at beloved wife*

Funny how people have so much time to play card games at work Smiley. If you have a false ceiling you can squeeze a server up there out of sight and get one of your engineers to run a seperate network round your building then hey presto, LAN gaming on your laptops. If you only run p2p games you could do without the server. Seperate network is useful though, downstairs always used to complain of slowdown when we played quake 2 over the work network.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Games
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 06:03:59 AM »
BrrlGrrl

Bill summed up Jenga but truth or dare Jenga is better. The game comes with truths or dares on the block and as you remove them you have have to do what is on the blocks. Also the set hase 5 blocks where you can make up yoru own too. Lot of my friends who I play games with are late 20's and 30 somethings that are either never married or divorced so it makes for some interesting times.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Happy Bob

• friend
Games
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 07:50:21 AM »
BillBlank,
Helps if one or two are complete drama queeens.
Ohhhh, man, you're giving me ideas ... STOP THAT! I'm a quiet, unassuming straight guy.

{bursts out singing} Let's -- doooo - theTiiiime---Warrrp - Agaaaaiii WAITAMINNIT!!!

Ummm, we all played a lot of Dominoes through the holidays this past winter. No, really: the new sets of dominoes, with colored spots and a wagon-wheel layout, had a whole bunch of adults and teenagers here occupied for hours during several family and neighborhood get-togethers.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

wmenorr67

• friend
Games
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 08:00:39 AM »
Strip twister.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
Games
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 08:02:14 AM »
Taboo, gets better the more drunk you get.

If not drinking, and with serious players, Axis and Allies, the original.

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
Games
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 04:08:45 AM »
double twelve domonoies...  4 hours later you might need a bouncer

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Games
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 05:53:35 AM »
Okay, I tried my hand at pinochle. (At work, no less-BillBlank)
I think I could really enjoy it once I memorize all the combinations of melds.
My SO loves Dominos!  My Mom and her friends play a game of Dominos called, "Mexican Train".  I call it "Amigo Express", and we could probably use a bouncer (and a designated bartender) for that!
Strip Twister - time for a new keyboard!
Lots of new ideas (new to me) to try out, thanks ever so much!

wmenorr67

• friend
Games
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 07:55:04 AM »
I will second the Axis and Allies.  More intense version of Risk.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Games
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 09:45:05 AM »
If you like Risk and Axis and Allies, check out "Napoleon in Europe". It is like Risk on steriods. Stock up on the beer, whiskey, and snacks because each game can take over 8 hours.

Games
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 09:49:27 AM »
And strip Twister is only fun if you're the one and only male. Imagine when they call "Left hand, green" that makes you have to take a face dive into your buddy's derriere.