Author Topic: Rosie O'Donnell makes fun of Asian people...media is quiet  (Read 22438 times)

...has left the building.

Rosie O'Donnell makes fun of Asian people...media is quiet
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »
In the wake of the entire Michael Richards and Mel Gibson "racist rants", we have this gem by our favorite silverback gorilla, Rosie O'Donnell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuTspbPmV_g&mode=related&search=

Even though Richards and Gibson issued very profuse apologies, Rosie's response on Saturday was:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12092006/gossip/pagesix/rosie_to_asians__loosen_up_pagesix_.htm

Where is the Hollywood response that Gibson got? That man has been slandered at any given moment about his new movie. I read exactly two reviews of "Apocalypto" and one called it "Mel's latest snuff film" and another gave away the ending. Both reviews were in major publications. Hollywood sabotages Gibson, Al Sharpton decries Richards, and the press is silent about the Rosie outburst. What a bunch of B.S.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Rosie O'Donnell makes fun of Asian people...media is quiet
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 01:29:04 PM »
Because Rosie is female, liberal and a lesbian who adopted kids. A liberals idea of renaissance person, of course the media is going to leave her alone.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:31:32 PM »
And because to a great number of americans, she is somewhat of a minor deity. shocked

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 01:51:54 PM »
War and racism & rape & lots of other serious crimes are perfectly acceptable when
done by a liberal.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 02:00:05 PM »
Rosie did nothing wrong.

Yeah, anyone else would have been made to grovel and kow-tow.  Hope I'm not hurting any Chinese people's feelings by using kow-tow there.

It's really funny how any other gore-fest movie is edgy and daring and bold.  But let Gibson do it, and suddenly the press gets queasy. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:12:27 PM »
If she would have called some audience members "chink scum" over and over at the top of her lungs, then it would be like Richards. 

As far as Mel, the bulk of critics have given good reviews to his Mayan piece:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/apocalypto/

You can't expect something as violent and bizarre as a feature film in Mayan involving human sacrifice to get uniformly good reviews. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »
You can't expect something as violent and bizarre as a feature film in Mayan involving human sacrifice to get uniformly good reviews. 
You can if it's a good movie, which this one is.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 04:35:59 PM »
Let's look back to The Passion, which was met with disgust and total incomprehension by one reviewer after another. 

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 04:36:47 PM »

You could if you were Spielberg or Polanski.

but wait one minute! this is not the hate Mel thread this is the hate Rosie O stupid face thread!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 04:38:25 PM »
yup! Fistful hit the nail on it's head.

with the liberals it tails I win heads we flip again.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 05:16:39 PM »
Rosie did nothing wrong.

Yeah, anyone else would have been made to grovel and kow-tow.  Hope I'm not hurting any Chinese people's feelings by using kow-tow there.

It's really funny how any other gore-fest movie is a edgy and daring and bold.  But let Gibson do it, and suddenly the press gets queasy. 

Did nothing wrong? I fail to see how her offensive "imitation" of Asian people ISN'T wrong. So if your kids said "ching chong ching chong" to an Asian kid you would tell them that it is okay? I used to kick people's asses all the time for that kind of stuff growing up.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »
It was not an "offensive 'imitation' of Asian people."  It was a pathetic attempt to sound like she was speaking Chinese.  How else would you suggest that a comedian mimic a language she doesn't know?  There's nothing sacrosanct about Chinese languages or Chinese people, and Rosie has every right to have a little fun with them.  If anything, those who know Chinese should be laughing at her for sounding so silly.  But being offended?  At what? 

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 05:54:58 PM »
It was not an "offensive 'imitation' of Asian people."  It was a pathetic attempt to sound like she was speaking Chinese.  How else would you suggest that a comedian mimic a language she doesn't know?  There's nothing sacrosanct about Chinese languages or Chinese people, and Rosie has every right to have a little fun with them.  If anything, those who know Chinese should be laughing at her for sounding so silly.  But being offended?  At what? 

You didn't answer my question, would you condone it if your kids had "a little fun" in that manner at school or church? Would you laugh and say, "nice language mimic son!" Do you think it would be funny if he pulled her eyes to the side as well to better "mimic"?

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 06:00:03 PM »
As to the actual "offense," I don't see it as mocking.

As to the double standard, if it were anyone not identified as a raging leftist the media would be all over it.
D. R. ZINN

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 06:17:55 PM »
Daniel,

I have no kids, but it would depend on the relationship between my child and the Asian child.  Does the other kid know that my kid is just joking, and does not intend disrespect?  I don't think there's an Asian who's seen that clip who actually believed she meant any harm. 

The face-distorting might be out of bounds, perhaps. 

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 06:27:05 PM »
Daniel,

I have no kids, but it would depend on the relationship between my child and the Asian child.  Does the other kid know that my kid is just joking, and does not intend disrespect?  I don't think there's an Asian who's seen that clip who actually believed she meant any harm. 

The face-distorting might be out of bounds, perhaps. 

Fistful,

Yeah that's true, my friends and I joke around all the time. But you're definitely confirming that it is either a joke or disrespectful depending on the relationship involved. Rosie, as others have said, is clearly held to a double standard by the media. That is total B.S.

Also if the "ching chong" is okay, what's wrong with the face distorting? It would just be somebody mimicing an Asian person's face right?

And please don't speak for all Asians. I'm Asian, I'm offended.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 07:33:13 PM »
I'm speaking for humans, and as a human, I'm telling you that you shouldn't be offended.  Humans shouldn't be so touchy about other humans finding their foreign ways a bit comical.  Some languages sound really funny to those who don't know the language.  Why shouldn't they?  The only thing that really stands out about Rosie's bit is that it was unimaginative. 

But if I try to give myself some eye-folds to look Asian, is that so bad?  Is there something wrong with having eyes like that that you don't want to be reminded of it?  Who has made you ashamed of your race?  Be proud.  Hey, I don't know.  Maybe that's easy for a white guy to say.  There's a movement afoot to shame me of my ancestry, so maybe I do.  I suppose my point is just that we can't get past race until we get past race.  Rosie implied that the Chinese language sounds funny.  Well, of course it does to a native speaker of English. 

Suppose I start talking in an affected accent and some person of Hispanic persuasion overhears it.  "Why are you making fun of Latinos?" he demands.

"Whatever do you mean?" says I.

"You know what I mean, you were talking in some stupid voice, trying to sound like a Latino!"

"Sir," say I, in high dudgeon, "do you mean to imply that Latinos sound stupid?"

"Wha-no-ya-you sound stupid trying to talk like a Latino!"

"Well, what makes you think I was trying to talk like a Latino?  Is it because you think Latinos talk funny, and you thought I was talking funny?  Sir, I perceive you are of Latino extraction yourself.  As such, you should be highly offended by your deeply offensive remarks."

"Whatever."

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 09:50:54 PM »
For once, I agree with Fistful:

Get over it.  It's not like she said "IN CHINA NOW THEY'RE PROBABLY SAYING OH I'M A BAD DRIVER AND I CAN'T PRONOUNCE THE LETTER R.  OH BY THE WAY DID YOU HEAR ABOUT DANNY DEVITO?"  No one in Sweden got their undergarments knotted up over this guy, did they?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »
I'm offended that some of you are defending Rosie O'Donnell.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 02:34:58 AM »
I'm speaking for humans, and as a human, I'm telling you that you shouldn't be offended.  Humans shouldn't be so touchy about other humans finding their foreign ways a bit comical.  Some languages sound really funny to those who don't know the language.  Why shouldn't they?  The only thing that really stands out about Rosie's bit is that it was unimaginative. 

But if I try to give myself some eye-folds to look Asian, is that so bad?  Is there something wrong with having eyes like that that you don't want to be reminded of it?  Who has made you ashamed of your race?  Be proud.  Hey, I don't know.  Maybe that's easy for a white guy to say.  There's a movement afoot to shame me of my ancestry, so maybe I do.  I suppose my point is just that we can't get past race until we get past race.  Rosie implied that the Chinese language sounds funny.  Well, of course it does to a native speaker of English. 

Suppose I start talking in an affected accent and some person of Hispanic persuasion overhears it.  "Why are you making fun of Latinos?" he demands.

"Whatever do you mean?" says I.

"You know what I mean, you were talking in some stupid voice, trying to sound like a Latino!"

"Sir," say I, in high dudgeon, "do you mean to imply that Latinos sound stupid?"

"Wha-no-ya-you sound stupid trying to talk like a Latino!"

"Well, what makes you think I was trying to talk like a Latino?  Is it because you think Latinos talk funny, and you thought I was talking funny?  Sir, I perceive you are of Latino extraction yourself.  As such, you should be highly offended by your deeply offensive remarks."

"Whatever."

I certainly see your perspective. But on the other hand, you didn't have to grow up having kids make fun of you by calling you "gook", "chink", "hey can you speak Chinese?", "ching chong ching chong", "*bruce lee noises*", etc. Most of my childhood, people were telling me that I was somehow inferior. So when I hear a self-righteous hypocrite like Rosie say the same thing, I naturally get pissed.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 02:57:38 AM »
Scratch a liberal discover a hardcore racist.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 03:19:24 AM »
But on the other hand, you didn't have to grow up having kids make fun of you by calling you "gook", "chink", "hey can you speak Chinese?", "ching chong ching chong", "*bruce lee noises*", etc. Most of my childhood, people were telling me that I was somehow inferior.
  I thought so.  Don't buy into it, brother.  When and where did you grow up, if you don't mind my asking?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 04:33:15 AM »
I guess I am a bad, bad, man because I thought the Swedish Chef was a riot as a kid & still do.  I have fond memories of the Muppets.

Rosie is getting a pass today because of her views and deviance from traditional norms.  In the days of yore, it wouldn't even be an issue.

If we are all required to get in a moderate or high dudgeon over Rosie's imitation of sterotypical incomprehensible Chinese language, must we also ban the terms "gobbledygook" and "babel?"  Gobbledygook is essentially what Rosie imitated and contains the (horrors!) word, "gook," so is twice-damned in the eyes of the easily-upwardly-dudgeoned.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 04:37:48 AM »
j, I agree, except slurs like gook are something else entirely from what Rosie was up to. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 05:07:33 AM »
I detest Rosie O'Donnell, but in this case, and given the context, I don't see cause for anyone to get mightily offended.

I've heard comedians use affected accents for hispanics, Jews, Norwegians (Sven & Ole jokes are popular in Minnesota), Indians, Irishmen, Southerners, Bostonians, Italians, (ever hear of Father Guido Sarducci?) and practically every other group that has an identifiable accent - it's pretty much standard in comedy.

And that's the point - it's meant as COMEDY, people, and doesn't fall into the same category as Michael Richards' rant or Mel Gibson's drunken slurs against Jews.

If accents  - even fake and phony ones - are are off limits, then it's just another sign that political correctness has gone TOO far.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain