Author Topic: Republicans are now a fundamentally different party  (Read 844 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Republicans are now a fundamentally different party
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:39:46 AM »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/307462-trump-adviser-tells-house-republicans-youre-no-longer-reagans-party

Founder of the Club for Growth is finding himself more populist these days:

Moore surprised some of the Republican lawmakers assembled at their closed-door whip meeting last Tuesday when he told them they should no longer think of themselves as belonging to the conservative party of Ronald Reagan.

They now belong to Trump’s populist working-class party, he said.

He’s been as close to a purist ideological conservative as they come, but he says the experience of traveling around Rust Belt states to support Trump has altered his politics.

“It turned me more into a populist,” he said, expressing frustration with the way some in the Beltway media dismissed the economic concerns of voters in states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

This is where I've found myself lately. I could be described as an ideological conservative, both fiscally and socially. Lately, though, I've been thinking that reaching out to the populist types who may not wholly agree with fiscal conservatism (especially the free trade plank) will be a more profitable alliance.

Lo and behold, look what Trump's done.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought