Author Topic: Camille Paglia warned them  (Read 1676 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Camille Paglia warned them
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:58:41 AM »
http://www.salon.com/2009/09/09/healthcare_31/

Yes, it was 2009 and she was warning about 2012. Obama's personal qualities and Romney's lackluster campaign saved them that year.

But, as evidenced by this year's election, the underlying problems remained. As illustrated by this paragraph:

Why has the Democratic Party become so arrogantly detached from ordinary Americans? Though they claim to speak for the poor and dispossessed, Democrats have increasingly become the party of an upper-middle-class professional elite, top-heavy with journalists, academics and lawyers (one reason for the hypocritical absence of tort reform in the healthcare bills). Weirdly, given their worship of highly individualistic, secularized self-actualization, such professionals are as a whole amazingly credulous these days about big-government solutions to every social problem. They see no danger in expanding government authority and intrusive, wasteful bureaucracy. This is, I submit, a stunning turn away from the anti-authority and anti-establishment principles of authentic 1960s leftism.

She nailed the exact problem the Democrats faced this year. In fact, they specifically rejected reaching out to "ordinary Americans":

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/politics/hillary-clinton-campaign.html?_r=0

Though she would never have won this demographic [working class whites], her husband insisted that her campaign aides do more to try to cut into Mr. Trump’s support with these voters. They declined, reasoning that she was better off targeting college-educated suburban voters by hitting Mr. Trump on his temperament.

It's not as though the Democrats were unaware they were losing the common man. They made a conscious decision to ignore him.

And, of course, I'm willing to predict the solution will be doubling down on identity politics.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Camille Paglia warned them
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »
http://www.salon.com/2009/09/09/healthcare_31/

Yes, it was 2009 and she was warning about 2012. Obama's personal qualities and Romney's lackluster campaign saved them that year.

But, as evidenced by this year's election, the underlying problems remained. As illustrated by this paragraph:

She nailed the exact problem the Democrats faced this year. In fact, they specifically rejected reaching out to "ordinary Americans":

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/politics/hillary-clinton-campaign.html?_r=0

It's not as though the Democrats were unaware they were losing the common man. They made a conscious decision to ignore him.

And, of course, I'm willing to predict the solution will be doubling down on identity politics.

Picking Keith Ellison as DNC honcho is not an olive branch to middle America by any means.  Neither is excoriating white women who voted Trump. 

So, you are likely right.  Whether or not is works depends on how faithful Trump is to his immigration promises.  If he is wishy-washy, kiss goodbye to euro-America and hello to Dem hegemony...and likely civil strife not seen since the Civil War/WBtS/WoNA/War for North American Empire.  If Trumps sticks to it and goes out most of the immigrants of all sorts, there might be some breathing room.  I prefer the latter, so my kids can face coming unpleasantness as adults.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »

Yep, Pelosi just won minority leader, where TIm Ryan was the one who had a clue why the dems lost.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 01:29:44 PM »
Yep, Pelosi just won minority leader, where TIm Ryan was the one who had a clue why the dems lost.
I remember the night of the Reagan landslide, a Dem operative was on TV going on about how, since the Dems were right on issue after issue, the people HAD to vote for them.

HAD to.  :facepalm:

A little later Reagan's campaign chairman was being interviewed on the same channel, and he said what he was happiest about is that the Dems STILL didn't know why they'd lost. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:54:53 PM »
I remember the night of the Reagan landslide, a Dem operative was on TV going on about how, since the Dems were right on issue after issue, the people HAD to vote for them.

HAD to.  :facepalm:

A little later Reagan's campaign chairman was being interviewed on the same channel, and he said what he was happiest about is that the Dems STILL didn't know why they'd lost. 

Quote from: Ronald Reagan
The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »
The mention of Romney got me thinking.  Isn't it interesting how the Romney nomination sort of parallels the Bob Dole nomination in 1996. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
The mention of Romney got me thinking.  Isn't it interesting how the Romney nomination sort of parallels the Bob Dole nomination in 1996. 

I'll go with no, since there's nothing interesting about Dole or Romney.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »

Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.

Bonaparte called it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »

I'll go with no, since there's nothing interesting about Dole or Romney.
You are right.  Forget I mentioned it.  Lots of reasons not to choose Romney other than him being Dole 2.0.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge