Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Beef Bourguignon  (Read 2286 times)

Ben

• Administrator
Re: Beef Bourguignon
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »

Executive summary: Man, that was good! I am going to make it on a regular basis.

Long story: I was waffling between laughing at myself and screaming as I made it today. First off, I have never had so many New Year calls and video chats come in as today. All while I was prepping and  cooking. I would normally let them go, but if my 93-year old dad calls, I have to answer, and if my sister calls and I don't answer, then she calls my dad and tells him, "Ben's being mean!" and then I have to hear it from my dad. Once those calls came through, I literally tossed the phone into the other room.  :laugh:

Then, I don't know if it's the Alzheimer's or what, but I was totally unprepared for making this. I somehow ignored or forgot just how much time everything takes, so started late, then I somehow grabbed chicken stock instead of beef stock at the store. Luckily I had extra stew beef, so while I was prepping the dish, I also just boiled up my own beef stock for it. Then I was so disorganized that I was spilling stuff right and left onto the floor and everywhere, so had to keep pausing to clean up my messes.  :laugh:

Otherwise, it was pretty straightforward. I ended up tripling the brandy, just because, and go big or go home. I forgot about the serving it over mashed potatoes or similar, so just had it straight, with the homemade bread to dunk in the gravy, and blaukraut (like sauerkraut except with red cabbage, so more sweet than sour) on the side. That ended up being a good combo. I have enough leftovers that I'll make them with mashed potatoes on Sunday.

The wine was a really good choice, not just for the cooking, but for the drinking. Once the two cups went in the recipe, there was just enough leftover for a Ben sized goblet of wine. As I said earlier, I'm not normally a Pinot drinker, but will buy this again. Though with how I discombobulated myself today, I was really close to skipping the wine and going straight for the whiskey.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • like a tree planted by rivers of water
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2021, 07:34:53 PM »

We did mashed potatoes and French bread  :laugh:

The mashed potatoes were made with Yukon Gold and one large Russet (what I had on hand). Peeled, boiled in salted water, mashed then mixed in butter, buttermilk, cream cheese and chives. That was pretty good also and I'll do that again.

The French bread from the grocery was good. Next time I do the bread also.

The wish not to believe can influence as strongly as the wish to believe.

Who can escape their own cognitive biases?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2021, 01:27:51 PM »

Debating making this this weekend.

Also debating making the pork equivalent, which uses white wine instead of red.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »

Debating making this this weekend.

Also debating making the pork equivalent, which uses white wine instead of red.

It was so good  I can't tell you. I want to make it again, without all the interruptions.  :laugh:

I actually bought another bottle of the Acrobat wine for it yesterday. I'll probably get the other fixins' and make it in the next week or two. If I had a bigger dutch oven, I would double that recipe, because I did not get sick of the leftovers at all.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »

Yeah, I want to make it given all of the success you guys have reported here. I have the chuck roast in the freezer, just need to get some incidentals.

But I also have a beautiful chunk of pork loin (picked up a big one the other week at Walmart, slow cooked half of it in orange sauce) that would make a fantastic bowl of pork stew...

It's going to be chill this weekend, so it's a good weekend to do this...

The pork stew recipe I use is similar, but not as many moving parts....

Gah... decisions, decisions!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 06:46:56 AM »

Nice... I have exactly 3 pounds of really nice chuck roast in the freezer... Well, it's defrosting in the refrigerator now.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day for it.

36 for the high, 20 for the low.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 08:11:38 AM »

Going to pend this over until tomorrow, and I'm also going to make it in the crockpot.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 02:41:47 PM »

Picked up 2 pounds of frozen pearl onions at my local store this morning. 1 pound for tomorrow, 1 pound for later in case I want to make creamed pearl onions.

Also picked up a bottle of Kendall Jackson Reserve Pinot Noir. No clue how it's going to be, but generally KJs seem to be decent wines. I'll probably crack it and have a glass this evening.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 09:09:36 AM »

Boogaloo is in the crockpot.

And boy is my kitchen a mess right now. Smells amazing, though.

Ron

• friends
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 02:29:21 PM »

How was the wine?

Did you use baking soda while browning the meat?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2021, 06:28:52 PM »

Wine is quite good. Had a glass with my dinner. Not fond of reds in general but I like this one.

Didn't do the baking soda. Discovered I'm out when I went to grab it this morning.

The beef Boogaloo?

Holy balls it's good!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Ben

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »

I'm gonna start calling mine beef boogaloo too. In fact the next time I make it, I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt.  :laugh:

Ron

• friends
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2021, 10:34:53 PM »

I'm gonna start calling mine beef boogaloo too. In fact the next time I make it, I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt.  :laugh:

Beef Boogaloo it is!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2021, 07:04:44 AM »

Going to be really interesting to see how it tastes tonight.

One of things that I didn't like about it was that I think I messed up the seasonings a bit. It just didn't taste... balanced. It was good, no doubt about that.

Could have also been the tannins in the red wine, I don't know.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The only reason I started calling it that was I was too lazy to cut & paste Bourguignon every time because no matter what, I can never spell that word. Damned Frenchies!

Ron

• friends
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2021, 09:04:43 AM »

Going to be really interesting to see how it tastes tonight.

One of things that I didn't like about it was that I think I messed up the seasonings a bit. It just didn't taste... balanced. It was good, no doubt about that.

Could have also been the tannins in the red wine, I don't know.

It took a long time for the alcohol to evaporate out of my batch.

I might roast the carrots and pearl onions separately and add them both to the stew towards the end of cooking. My carrots and pearl onions were softer than I prefer, they were falling apart when serving.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »

The alcohol evaporates out, but that just concentrates the tannins. Maybe I should have let it breath a bit more. I basically opened the bottle and glugged it in. Then I forgot and left the bottle open on the counter for several hours. When I had it with dinner, it was quite nice.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2021, 01:15:35 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention...

Instead of mixing the flour with butter, I strained a bunch of the beef fat and off the top and threw it into the freezer to set up.

Then I pulled the solidified fat off, returned the broth to the crock pot, and foamed out the beef fat in a pan on the stove. Then I mixed in 2 T of cornstarch and briefly cooked it. I didn't try to make a roux out of it as I would do with flour, I just made sure that all of the cornstarch was incorporated.

Then into the crock pot with in and stirred it well to mix it in. It immediately started to thicken up nicely and made for a very satisfying gravy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2021, 01:27:05 PM »

Just got a look at the weather forecast for this evening.

It's been cloudy and chill since yesterday afternoon, but this afternoon/early evening it's supposed to start with a mixed combination of rain and snow and just be gross and yucky until tomorrow afternoon.

And that, folks, is what a comfort food like beef boogaloo is all about!

Well, that and a hot whiskey toddy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]