Author Topic: Fermentation: Aerobic (Yeast)  (Read 30642 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Fermentation: Aerobic (Yeast)
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »
Let's talk home beer/cider production.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Fermentation: Aerobic (Yeast)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
Is this thread Anti-Distillation?

:P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:01:59 PM »

Should be fine if you live in New Zealand.  Or plausibly might live in NZ.  :P
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »

Anti anaerobic fermentation

Uranus is a gas giant.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
We have six gallons of Cherry, six of Blackberry and one gallon of Black Chokeberry wine fermenting in their respective primary fermenters. Twelve gallons of Wild Black Raspberry wine was bottled in the last two weeks. Son 2 is consuming a batch of Double IPA from a kit.

Yeah, we like yeasty beverages. 😎

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
I tried making an all-malt ginger ale last month.  (actually, it has a little sugar in it too)  I'm planning to bottle it tomorrow.  No idea yet if it's drinkable.  As much as anything, this was an experiment in brewing on a weeknight with a 30 minute boil instead of the traditional 60 or 90 minutes.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Ginger beer

Style Name: Experimental Beer
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 5.59%

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - American - Pale Ale (81.6%)
6 oz - German - Caramel Wheat (6.1%)
12 oz - Cane Sugar - (late addition)  (12.2%)

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Amount: 4 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - Ground ginger, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
5 oz - Fresh ginger, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
4 oz - Lemon juice, bottled, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
1 each - Small tangerine (clementine), Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - Specialty Ale Yeast T-58
Starter: No

Water Notes:
4 gallons of local hard tapwater, acidified and dechlorinated by adding 1/2 cup of bottled lemon juice and the fresh juice of one tangerine.  I did not measure the pH.

NOTES:
This is a first attempt.  No idea if I got the amount of ginger right.
After juicing the tangerine, save the skin and pulp.  Chop it up fine, and add to last 5 minutes of the boil.
Finely grind the fresh ginger, sugar, and dried ginger in a food processor or blender. 

Brewed 12/09/2016.  I used about 6 ounces of fresh ginger, unpeeled.  It pretty much liquefied in the food processor with the sugar.  After chilling to about 78 degrees, I dumped everything into the fermenter, hot break, ginger, tangerine peel, and all, and pitched with one rehydrated packet of T-58.   It was bubbling vigorously a few hours later.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 05:26:57 PM »
Let's talk home beer/cider production.

OK, I'll play.

Last spring I picked up this kit: Brooklyn Brew Shop EVeryday IPA, at a garage sale.  Making it was a mess, and the beer was all overcarbonated.  Opening each bottle was an adventure.  The kit was years old, probably someone's unused Christmas present, and I'm guessing the yeast was old and not done fermenting when bottled.

When I do drink beer I tend to favor dark beers.  So, the next kit tried was this: Black IPA 1 Gallon Recipe Kit.  That was easier, and worked a whole lot better.  I still only got about 8 bottles out of it.  The last of it was drunk during the presidential debates.

Somewhere in there I "freehanded" a gallon of apple cider.  That did not go well.  I suspect I needed more sugar.

I got the bright idea to make a 5 gallon batch of dark beer, to give away at Christmas.  I used this kit: Beer. Simply Beer - Stout.  The ingredient kit was inexpensive, and I thought it worked well, and I will be ordering another sometime soon.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 06:41:39 PM »
Late 2015, I decided to brew a strong Christmas beer, kind of a porter.  I ordered 2 pounds of brown malt from the local liquor store that sells brewing stuff on the side.  They screwed up the order and got a much darker malt (coffee malt? or chocolate malt?) but I didn't realize that.  I brewed the beer and it was inky black instead of just kinda black or dark brown.  Fermented it as usual, and the fermentation stuck.  It actually tasted sweeter than it did before I started fermenting it.  (by now it's February, and the beer was supposed to be ready for Christmas)  Someone recommended adding amylase enzyme.  I was skeptical, but I tried it.  It started fermenting again.  Bottled it in March.  Tried one in April and it was still too sweet (but at least drinkable) and really heavy and boozy.  I found that I could drink one by mixing it with a can of lite beer.  So that's what I did, but I put about half of them aside to let them age.

Been drinking them since Christmas 2016, and have one bottle left.  I should save it for Christmas 2017 but I'm not that disciplined with such things.  After aging nearly a year it turned into a pretty good stout, just have to drink it a little colder than you usually drink stouts to knock the sweetness down a notch.

Maybe I should brew my 2017 Christmas beer in February instead of waiting until November.   ;/
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »

I got the bright idea to make a 5 gallon batch of dark beer, to give away at Christmas.  I used this kit: Beer. Simply Beer - Stout.  The ingredient kit was inexpensive, and I thought it worked well, and I will be ordering another sometime soon.

Midwest Supply and Northern Brewer -- they secretly are the same company -- put together some good kits.  I get emails from them all the time; I can post the next discount codes if anyone wants (or even if they don't.)
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:54:36 AM »
Listermann Brewing is the go to place here in town for home brewing supplies.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
Bob,

When you make your cider do you boil your juice?

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 06:57:15 PM »
Bob,

When you make your cider do you boil your juice? 

Boiling the juice allegedly makes the cider a cloudy (from the pectin) but won't really hurt anything.  I'm skeptical about the pectin haze thing because I've made wine from old jars of homemade jelly before, and that turned out nice and clear.

If you're using juice that you pressed yourself, add Campden tablets (follow the directions on the label)

I use Aldi's apple juice, a little bit of white sugar but not much, yeast nutrient, and white wine yeast.  Most brands of filtered apple juice will work just fine, as will frozen concentrate.  Watch out for sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate on the label, especially if you buy fancy juice fresh from an orchard or unfiltered.  Sorbate or benzoate preservatives will prevent it from fermenting.  Ascorbate preservatives are fine.

Last batch was with K1-V1116 yeast, and 12 ounces of sugar to 6 gallons of juice.  Turned out pretty good.  If you add too much sugar, you get lots of alcohol but not much apple flavor.

"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »
Boiling the juice allegedly makes the cider a cloudy (from the pectin) but won't really hurt anything.  I'm skeptical about the pectin haze thing because I've made wine from old jars of homemade jelly before, and that turned out nice and clear.

If you're using juice that you pressed yourself, add Campden tablets (follow the directions on the label)

I use Aldi's apple juice, a little bit of white sugar but not much, yeast nutrient, and white wine yeast.  Most brands of filtered apple juice will work just fine, as will frozen concentrate.  Watch out for sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate on the label, especially if you buy fancy juice fresh from an orchard or unfiltered.  Sorbate or benzoate preservatives will prevent it from fermenting.  Ascorbate preservatives are fine.

Last batch was with K1-V1116 yeast, and 12 ounces of sugar to 6 gallons of juice.  Turned out pretty good.  If you add too much sugar, you get lots of alcohol but not much apple flavor.

Thanks, I was going to go the aldi route for juice. Maybe dump in some apple concentrate for more sugar.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 11:15:22 PM »
Picked up 2 10 gallon igloo coolers set up for all grains brewing from a friend who is downsizing. Going to get a 16 gallon stainless brew kettle from him too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 05:09:55 PM »
Just finished brewing a gallon of a 2-row and Cascade SMaSH. Treated the water for chloramine (used in Milwaukee) before brewing so I hope that it's drinkable, unlike the other batches I've attempted. Probably used too much water for the amount of grained mashed, although the post-mash wort was very sweet and delicious.

Details:
2.5 lbs of 2-row, double milled
9 quarts water
Mashed for 1 hour at 154 deg F.
Squeezed out the bag and "sparged" (rinsed) with another 2 cups of water
Boiled for 60 minutes
Hop additions:
60 min: 0.28 oz of Cascade
20 min: 0.13 oz of Cascade
5 min: 0.13 of of Cascade, 1/4 tablet of Whirlfloc
Flameout: 0.43 oz of Cascade
Cooled to about 75 deg F and pitched 11.5 oz of US-05 rehydrated in 1 cup of water (overpitched, but what the heck).

Forgot to measure OG.

I hope that this is at least drinkable, since every other batch I've attempted has had some horrible off-flavor.

Andy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 09:12:21 AM »
Just finished brewing a gallon of a 2-row and Cascade SMaSH. Treated the water for chloramine (used in Milwaukee) before brewing so I hope that it's drinkable, unlike the other batches I've attempted. Probably used too much water for the amount of grained mashed, although the post-mash wort was very sweet and delicious.

I use bottled water for brewing.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »

Details:
2.5 lbs of 2-row, double milled
9 quarts water
Mashed for 1 hour at 154 deg F.
Squeezed out the bag and "sparged" (rinsed) with another 2 cups of water
Boiled for 60 minutes
Hop additions:
60 min: 0.28 oz of Cascade
20 min: 0.13 oz of Cascade
5 min: 0.13 of of Cascade, 1/4 tablet of Whirlfloc
Flameout: 0.43 oz of Cascade
Cooled to about 75 deg F and pitched 11.5 oz of US-05 rehydrated in 1 cup of water (overpitched, but what the heck).

Forgot to measure OG.

I hope that this is at least drinkable, since every other batch I've attempted has had some horrible off-flavor.

You might need to adjust the pH with some acid malt, phosphoric acid, gypsum, and/or calcium chloride.  I looked at a Milwaukee water quality report, and it didn't say anything about alkalinity (it did mention about 200 ppm of "total dissolved solids", which I think is probably not bad)

I buy bulk RO water at Walmart or one of the big grocery stores.  I've started using more dechlorinated tapwater for the mash lately, but I always sparge with straight RO water.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
The ginger ale that I brewed in mid-December has no ginger taste at all.  The ginger I used must have been old, or refrigerated, or something.  But the lemon juice and the tangerine give it a nice tart citrusy flavor.  It's good when a failed experiment is still drinkable.  =)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
5.5 gallons of apple juice, 5 frozen containers of concent4ate and a wee packet of yeast. Time to make it happen. Probably start the yeast tonight and pitch tomorrow or Wednesday night.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »
5.5 gallons of apple juice, 5 frozen containers of concentrate and a wee packet of yeast. Time to make it happen. Probably start the yeast tonight and pitch tomorrow or Wednesday night.

Cool.  What yeast did you get?

Unless you're going to build up a yeast starter, rehydrate the yeast maybe a half hour before you pitch it.  (not days before)  I assume you're not talking about one of those Wyeast brand liquid yeast packs.

Some yeast nutrient would be a good idea.  Apple juice doesn't have much nitrogen.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
Cool.  What yeast did you get?

Unless you're going to build up a yeast starter, rehydrate the yeast maybe a half hour before you pitch it.  (not days before)  I assume you're not talking about one of those Wyeast brand liquid yeast packs.

Some yeast nutrient would be a good idea.  Apple juice doesn't have much nitrogen.

Red Star Premier Cuvee, its a dry wine yeast. I was going to use some juice as a starter.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
Red Star Premier Cuvee, its a dry wine yeast. I was going to use some juice as a starter.

Premier Cuvee is a powerful yeast; the cider will be *very* dry when it's finished.  Starter is not necessary but it also won't hurt anything.  Good luck! :)   
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 06:28:25 PM »
Premier Cuvee is a powerful yeast; the cider will be *very* dry when it's finished.  Starter is not necessary but it also won't hurt anything.  Good luck! :)   

I wanted a dry cider, I can always sweeten it after I keg condition it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »

Ok, I've never used yeast nutrient in the past when I made beer and wine.

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »
Ok, I've never used yeast nutrient in the past when I made beer and wine.

I've had much better results when using Fermaid than the JD Carlson stuff.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?