Author Topic: "Fake news"  (Read 1949 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
"Fake news"
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/cockpit-audio-from-jetblues-near-miss-with-plane/vi-AA8OwRK?refvid=AA8FNNL

First off the transcripts of this video are painful.
Besides the excessive drama of this "reporting".
First..."That's when the pilot saw another aircraft heading his way"  nope.  ATC observed and pointed out traffic to the pilot.
"We've got them inside, deobrah 94.
Deborah 94 maintain distance"
WHAT THE EVER LOVING *expletive deleted*ck? 
Should be We've got them in sight, Jetblue 94
ATC responds "Jetblue 94, maintain visual"
*long beep*  Reporter breaks in...and that beep you heard was the collision warning going off....
THE *expletive deleted*ck? No no no.  That was multiple aircraft speaking at once.  Holy Flaming Xenu on a pogo stick.
And the icing is the idiot at the end who actually uses the word "decension" when describing the phase of flight Jetblue was in.
I think you meant Descent you dolt.
Oh, and lets add in passenger interviews of people who have no idea how aviation works to describe how frightening the flight was...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: "Fake news"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »
Sounds like reporters trying to report about firearms.

It is all about ratings and panic sells.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »
Oh, and lets add in passenger interviews of people who have no idea how aviation works to describe how frightening the flight was...

Was it something like this?

"And the thing is is, that was when I saw that other plane. And they was comin' right at us, like vrooooooooom! And I says to my kid, I says, 'Get down, little Bobby!'"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »
Who needs fake news when you've got fake reporters?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »
The FAA is investigating an incident involving a JetBlue flight that nearly missed colliding with a small airplane while in flight.

"Nearly missed?"  As in didn't quite miss?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:32 AM »
More likely, trying to report about anything. We just notice it in areas we are knowledgeable.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 11:50:18 AM »

It is all about ratings and panic sells.
Who was flying the AR15 Assualt Aircraft and who was flying the AK47 Assault Aircraft?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
Who was flying the AR15 Assualt Aircraft and who was flying the AK47 Assault Aircraft?

But did either of them have the thing that goes up?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »
"Nearly missed?"  As in didn't quite miss?

Grammatical fail. You are correct - "Nearly missed colliding" properly should mean "collided."

Beyond that, why are they laying the blame on the JetBlue aircraft? It was under air traffic control, it was where it was supposed to be and doing what it was supposed to be doing. Why aren't they talking about why the small plane was in the path of a commercial jetliner?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
Quote from: Michael Crichton
Media carries with it a credibility that is totally undeserved. You have all experienced this, in what I call the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. (I call it by this name because I once discussed it with Murray Gell-Mann, and by dropping a famous name I imply greater importance to myself, and to the effect, than it would otherwise have.)

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect works as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward-reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story-and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read with renewed interest as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about far-off Palestine than it was about the story you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

That is the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I’d point out it does not operate in other arenas of life. In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. In court, there is the legal doctrine of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, which means untruthful in one part, untruthful in all.

But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. When, in fact, it almost certainly isn’t. The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
Scott Adams would say you were hypnotized.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 11:50:46 PM »
Quote from: Michael Crichton
Media carries with it a credibility that is totally undeserved. You have all experienced this, in what I call the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. (I call it by this name because I once discussed it with Murray Gell-Mann, and by dropping a famous name I imply greater importance to myself, and to the effect, than it would otherwise have.)

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect works as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward-reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story-and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read with renewed interest as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about far-off Palestine than it was about the story you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

That is the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I’d point out it does not operate in other arenas of life. In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. In court, there is the legal doctrine of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, which means untruthful in one part, untruthful in all.

But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. When, in fact, it almost certainly isn’t. The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia.
Maybe I should have been a pshrink - I recognized this in grammar school - even wrote a paper on it for a composition assignment. In that case, it was about a story I had personal knowledge of which the media just got plain wrong. So . . . as I argued, if the media gets things wrong we KNOW about, why should we believe they get it right when we DON'T have personal knowledge of the story?

Of course, the answer is . . . we shouldn't.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain