Author Topic: Well, here's a movie I guess I can avoid. "Beatriz at dinner"  (Read 4599 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/beatriz-at-dinner-review-967916

Although this may contain the best performance of Hayek’s career, and an act of violence in the third act will be deliciously appealing to the basest instincts of every angry liberal at this particular post-inauguration moment, it’s still a flawed work, too broad and scattershot to skewer its deserving targets with the precision necessary for the task.

Foment, foment, foment.

That's enough for me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Well, here's a movie I guess I can avoid. "Beatriz at dinner"
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:17:59 PM »
Exactly what is this act of violence?

She makes the world safe for free speech by assaulting conservatives who are exercising their fascist speech?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 01:39:50 PM »
Dunno.

Whatever is "deliciously appealing to the basest instincts of every angry liberal."

Don't want to find out what that is, but I believe we had a hint from a former comedienne who exercised her right to be a bully under the rubric of "free speech."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:20:43 PM »
Grant has serious misgivings about bringing Beatriz to the table since one of the guests is power client Douglas Strutt (John Lithgow), a famously opinionated, unabashedly capitalist hotel and golf-course magnate whose resemblance to Donald Trump is surely not accidental. That said, Lithgow’s bragging, boorish captain of industry, who asks Beatriz if she entered the country legally, boasts about having shot a rhinoceros on safari in Africa and couldn’t give a damn if his ventures poison the environment and ruin lives, still comes across as more savvy and likable than the newly sworn-in POTUS.

Because, of course, that describes every single business owner, ever.. Along with every Trump voter...

;/ ;/ ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.