Author Topic: Central Americans Afraid to Come to US (Illegally)  (Read 4413 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Central Americans Afraid to Come to US (Illegally)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
Instead, many potential migrants in the Northern Triangle are choosing to sit tight and endure the poverty and violence that have driven hundreds of thousands to seek work and sanctuary in the United States in recent years.

Instead of "endure" how about working to change things. Maybe elect your own version of Trump?

The president’s proposed budget for the 2018 fiscal year would slash economic assistance to Central America by 42 percent from 2016 levels, according to an analysis by the Washington Office on Latin America, a research group.

“The effect on judicial reform, job creation and violence prevention efforts would be severe,” the organization said.

Only 42% c'mon Trump you can do better than that. How is it our problem? In any event most aid goes to those on the very top who then have an incentive to keep things bad so that the aid keeps flowing. Maybe if the aid stops things have a chance at getting better.

“The smoke of fear will drop, the migration will return,” said Sister Valdete Wilemann, who runs a center at the San Pedro Sula airport where Honduran migrants are processed after being deported from the United States.

The dream of going to the United States is “the culture,” she said. “You’re not going to rid Hondurans of that.”

Maybe not, but then the point is to rid the US of illegal Hondurans. What's in their personal mindscapes matters not at all.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »
Almost every paragraph made me go "Yay!"

Caption to one of the pictures:

"Residents in a poor neighborhood of San Pedro Sula, Honduras, which has gang activity and is one of the most violent cities in the world."

My first reaction was "What are the gun laws there like?"

Too bad we scrapped all those .45 Liberator pistols.

But see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_gun

Terry

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »
We can do better than those now. Hell, just air-dropping 100,000s little pot metal .22 revolvers would make a huge difference.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
So, if a bunch of Americans came to Honduras and ignored their laws, living by the laws they prefer, how would that be interpreted?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:07:05 PM »
The president’s proposed budget for the 2018 fiscal year would slash economic assistance to Central America by 42 percent from 2016 levels, according to an analysis by the Washington Office on Latin America, a research group.

“The effect on judicial reform, job creation and violence prevention efforts would be severe,” the organization said.

I guess there's a reason my brother was the Economics major and I wasn't. WHY does it require massive amounts of money from the United States for Central American countries to create jobs? Why don't they institute their own versions of Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration to put their people to work? Why should I have to pay them to "create jobs"?

The dream of going to the United States is “the culture,” she said. “You’re not going to rid Hondurans of that.”

B.S. Latinos who migrate to the U.S. are just as bad about staying with other Latinos and maintaining their own culture as middle eastern immigrants. The Latinos aren't coming here for the the "culture," they're coming here for the hand-outs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 02:11:07 AM »
I don't like illegal immigration, but a lot of the Central American countries have problems with drug cartels due to a result of our dumbass policies. That's right. I'll come out and say it. Our drug policy, like our own failed 18th Amendment gave rise to criminal groups, the "War on Drugs" gave rise to the same types of organizations, just ones out of our reach. None of this disagrees with capitalism either. Vacuum shows up, someone comes in to fill the void.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 04:52:16 AM »
I don't like illegal immigration, but a lot of the Central American countries have problems with drug cartels due to a result of our dumbass policies. That's right. I'll come out and say it. Our drug policy, like our own failed 18th Amendment gave rise to criminal groups, the "War on Drugs" gave rise to the same types of organizations, just ones out of our reach. None of this disagrees with capitalism either. Vacuum shows up, someone comes in to fill the void.

That's a fair point, actually, but the U.S. isn't the only country with restrictive / "Prohibitive" drug laws.  So I would spread the blame around a little bit.  But still, dropping a bunch of guns reminds me of the "Terry 230RN Theory Of Crime Reduction": Issue anyone who wants one, a .45 and 500 rd of ammo.  Well, nowadays a 9mm.  That would be "T2TOCR" if you wanted to acronymize it.

Pronounced "Tee-two-tocker."  Euphonious, no?  Rolls trippingly off the tongue.

I always figured those movies where some village or another is raped and pillaged by raiding warlords would be plotless if every villager were issued a .22 rifle and 500 rd of ammo beforehand.

:D

Terry, firm advocate of T2TOCR, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:12:17 AM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 07:33:59 AM »
. . .
I always figured those movies where some village or another is raped and pillaged by raiding warlords would be plotless if every villager were issued a .22 rifle and 500 rd of ammo beforehand. . . .
And slasher movies would be a lot shorter, too . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys-jKCF6u5w
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 07:53:27 AM »
^ :rofl:

"But bump-firing is legal, Officer.  By the way, did you see my cat anywhere outside?"

X (230RN, His Mark)

REF:
https://youtu.be/U-nUA52BS3c

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:11:51 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »

I was considering this after reading the article. Certainly there are innocent people in the crime ridden areas (which are geographically not all of the countries in question). I completely understand wanting to escape that. However, for both escaping crime and looking for a better existence, why is the US their only option? $12K will get you much, much farther in much of Central America and surrounding countries than it will in the US.

From the article, it seems these people have to come up with around $12K just to pay the smuggler to get them out. $12K can support you a long time in parts of Central America. Whether they made that money themselves or were given it by others, it shouldopen up opportunities for them in other parts of their own country, or in nearby countries, where they have the advantage of similar cultures and language. Except of course, most of the countries between them and the US have strict immigration policies -- stricter than ours and enforced. Yet the US has to take all the "anti-immigration" hate.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 01:47:43 AM »
From the article, it seems these people have to come up with around $12K just to pay the smuggler to get them out. $12K can support you a long time in parts of Central America. Whether they made that money themselves or were given it by others, it shouldopen up opportunities for them in other parts of their own country, or in nearby countries, where they have the advantage of similar cultures and language. Except of course, most of the countries between them and the US have strict immigration policies -- stricter than ours and enforced. Yet the US has to take all the "anti-immigration" hate.

Because the US is the land of opportunity, roads paved with gold and all that crap.  They can't stay where they are, too dangerous.  You're correct about the other countries - I've read about how other countries in the world generally handle immigration, especially their brand of illegal.  It isn't pretty. 

Besides, a lot of the time the $12k is 'loaned' to them - that's part of where you get the slavery accusations from.