Author Topic: Football players  (Read 2742 times)

grampster

• friend
Football players
« on: August 23, 2017, 10:19:39 PM »
It would seem to me that NFL football players are contract employees of football teams.  The teams operate under rules established by the NFL.  So it follows that there are certain rules that would have to be obeyed by the teams and the players.  To require players to stand helmet in hand during the playing of the National Anthem could be a condition of employment and not having anything to do with stultifying free speech...merely a job requirement in the interest of keeping the majority of NFL fans remain as fans and spend money and to attract advertisers and media participation.

Now if a player chose to break the rule, to exercise his free speech, he could be suspended for the balance of the season without pay as a matter of employer/player conduct and agreement.  Not a civil rights issue at all.

Thoughts?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Football players
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:00:17 PM »
To a degree, you're right.  NFL players are under a collective bargaining agreement between the NFLPA (player's association) and the NFL (meaning the owners).  So, agreement could include such a clause if both sides agree to it.

One thing that keeps getting caught up in all of this debate, and a whole lot of "free speech" arguments is that the First Amendment prohibits government restriction of free speech.  A private entity, like the NFL, is not bound by the First Amendment/Bill of Rights.  So, punishing a player for protesting during the Anthem is a contract law issue, not a civil liberties issue.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:36:41 PM »
Either way, I've decided to continue my multi-decade boycott of professional sporting events.
I honestly don't think I've ever sat and watched a whole game of any pro sport.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:40:31 AM »
I grew up a sports fan.  All sports, pretty much.  At this point, the only pro sport I pay attention to, and will sit and watch is hockey.  The players in other pro sports...NBA, MLB, NFL...have become such prima donnas with no loyalty to their team or their fan base that I just won't waste my time supporting them, knowing that they will cut and run if they can just make more money.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:22:54 AM »
knowing that they will cut and run if they can just make more money.

I have no problem with that.  The owners do the same thing.  More power to all of them.

Still, I don't watch sports, but that is only because it doesn't interest me.  Occassionally, I will watch a Cowboys game, but I don't follow the team's progress.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »
I live in Michigan.  We have the Lions.  Why would anyone want to be a fan of the Lions?

The thing I've noticed lately is that prominent people, politicians, businesses or sports franchises seem to roll over like whipped dogs to positions that seem to be in opposition with civilized, lawful behavior.

America is a constitutional representative republic.  As such, it can be modified or amended as described in the foundational document.  It has been changed/amended in the past.   If individuals or groups are disorderly and violently in opposition to that form of change, they are not legitimate and should not be supported notwithstanding those groups right to be verbally and peacefully in opposition.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:37:23 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »
Well the Cleveland Browns players have stepped into this quagmire.  12 players took a knee during the national anthem at Monday night's preseason game.  5 other players showed their support by standing near the kneeling players and putting their hands on the kneeling players shoulders. I still have a lot of friends in the Cleveland area and they are hopping mad about this.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »

The thing I've noticed lately is that prominent people, politicians, businesses or sports franchises seem to roll over like whipped dogs to positions that seem to be in opposition with civilized, lawful behavior.

Well, sitting or taking a knee during the Anthem is still "civilized" and 100% "lawful" but I get your drift.

The issue is really one of the blue states, or more appropriately the blue cities being the bulk of the money, the power, and influence in these organizations. It's why something as "red meat" as "sports" can be co-opted by PC Leftist attitudes. Are the billionaire team owners being shunned at cocktail parties in NYC and SF? It's another version of the "Inside the Beltway effect" that erodes the commitment of some conservative politicians.  And while the NFL has a more equitable money distribution structure than say MLB, and things that prevent a team from just throwing money at their roster of players to dominate like the Yankees sometimes do, even if it's shared revenues, the big city coastal teams still rake in the most dough.

Of course the flyover country red-state/red-suburb people definitely vote with their feet and their wallets, but it's a second-order effect, and it takes time. And add to that, those influenced by blue area Leftist Coastal attitudes, they can rationalize away things like TV ratings drops and loss of ticket sales for a time too, before the displeasure of the fans en-masse really starts to make the NFL pull back.

And then of course, there's the whole "ratchet effect" that usually works in the Left's favor, politically, and in the overall culture war too.  

So maybe 2-3 seasons of falling ratings and teams forced to cut or not renew players who engage in Kapernack protests for #BLM because of massive fan displeasure, the teams and the NFL might stop overt displays of protest, but that still doesn't undo the time period they allowed it, and the overall shifting in the "Overton Window" etc.

I promise not to duck.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 06:49:28 PM »
Well the Cleveland Browns players have stepped into this quagmire.  12 players took a knee during the national anthem at Monday night's preseason game.  5 other players showed their support by standing near the kneeling players and putting their hands on the kneeling players shoulders. I still have a lot of friends in the Cleveland area and they are hopping mad about this.

Yup.  They done stepped in it.  Curious to see how this one ends.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
Well, sitting or taking a knee during the Anthem is still "civilized" and 100% "lawful" but I get your drift.

How civilized it is may be debated, but it is, in fact, NOT lawful. The United States Flag Code IS federal law -- United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10.

§171. Conduct during playing
During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

Failure to follow the protocol is not a criminal offense, but it is against the law.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »
How civilized it is may be debated, but it is, in fact, NOT lawful. The United States Flag Code IS federal law -- United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10.

Failure to follow the protocol is not a criminal offense, but it is against the law.

1st Amendment beats USC.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 09:58:27 PM »
Well, sitting or taking a knee during the Anthem is still "civilized" and 100% "lawful"

This is my take on it; as long as they're just sitting or kneeling out of the way and not interfering with anyone else's proper observance of the ceremony, file it under "being a dick," fully punishable in the court of public opinion.

If they talk over the Anthem or a prayer, or otherwise interfere with any other person participating in such, then break out the tar and feathers.  Until then, let the financial consequences of pissing off fans work on the issue.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 07:04:27 AM »
Anyone hear about the petition that's apparently being circulated by BLM or a similar group demanding that an NFL team sign Kapernick? Because him not having a job because, well, he's just not that good and he comes with a lot of baggage, is the most racist thing ever, apparently.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 07:07:49 AM »
Anyone hear about the petition that's apparently being circulated by BLM or a similar group demanding that an NFL team sign Kapernick? Because him not having a job because, well, he's just not that good and he comes with a lot of baggage, is the most racist thing ever, apparently.

I saw an article about the protests outside of NFL headquarters, demanding the NFL give Kapernick a job.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
Pro sports of any flavor is pretty much irreverent in my life these days.  I don't care about, or watch any of it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:02 PM »
Pro sports of any flavor is pretty much irreverent in my life these days.  I don't care about, or watch any of it.

So you have no input on this subject. Thanks for letting us know!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 11:53:33 PM »

Since you're not interested in them, I guess it's not surprising that pro sports don't choose to revere you :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design