Author Topic: The President pardons the Sheriff  (Read 1589 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The President pardons the Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
That will end up being a mistake.

He's had several hits today (to immediately veer the thread). Arpaio; Gorka resigning with a letter stating "anti-MAGA" forces are taking control within the administration; and deciding to go to Camp David this weekend.

On Camp David, rational people will know that he has pretty much the same comms structure there as at the White House, but for optics, he maybe should have stuck around for the weekend. Though it seems like TX, LA, and Trump are all on good terms with hurricane response, everybody whose business it's not are having heart attacks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
Not a huge fan of Arpaio and some of his methods but what he was actually convicted of was a bullshit charge. A misdemeanor criminal contempt charge. And as I said not a big fan but if he is truly as dirty as he is made out to be I can't imagine that a pissant misdemeanor would be all they could get him on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »
*Sigh*   Well,  I guess it was bound to happen. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 12:07:30 AM »
That will end up being a mistake.

He's had several hits today (to immediately veer the thread). Arpaio; Gorka resigning with a letter stating "anti-MAGA" forces are taking control within the administration; and deciding to go to Camp David this weekend.

On Camp David, rational people will know that he has pretty much the same comms structure there as at the White House, but for optics, he maybe should have stuck around for the weekend. Though it seems like TX, LA, and Trump are all on good terms with hurricane response, everybody whose business it's not are having heart attacks.
We don't care where Trump is down here.  He isn't personally doing anything to assist anyone with Hurricane response.  There are entire agencies that do that, not to mention a whole bunch of state level people that do it.  

IMO, that "hit" is only in the media and with the people who don't like him already.  An empty showpiece gesture just to placate those people would go against the whole reason people voted for him.  Then the media would rag on him for the empty gesture.  That is a trap.  I do not want him doing all the usual crap that the squishy R's in Congress do.  We did NOT elect Romney or Jeb!.  IMO, we need to evaluate exactly what we expect our politicians to do.  Empty gestures isn't on my list.  

And personally, the only thing that jumps out at me about this pardon is Trump had the guts to do it.  W. Bush let people like Scooter Libby sit in prison and didn't lift a finger.  Obama pardoned a whole bunch of people and there was very little mention of it outside conservative circles.  The guy may be guilty of stuff I don't like, but I KNOW there are guilty people in D.C. that are getting very little attention from prosecutors.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 01:00:13 AM »
Not a huge fan of Arpaio and some of his methods but what he was actually convicted of was a bullshit charge. A misdemeanor criminal contempt charge. And as I said not a big fan but if he is truly as dirty as he is made out to be I can't imagine that a pissant misdemeanor would be all they could get him on.

I don't think he was actually guilty of all that much.  The main problem I have with him, and many others, ends up with him being incompetent as a sheriff, mostly through his excessive showboating.  

Incompetence:
1.  Unable to keep up important police work like solving murders and sex crimes.  
2.  Unable to keep his department operating in such a fashion as to avoid various lawsuits and having to pay out on them.
3.  Unable to operate in a fiscally responsible manner - his tent city was actually MORE expensive than hardened structures.
4.  Unable to actually *target* undocumented immigrants.  Instead he mostly harassed the *legal* Hispanic immigrants and US citizens of hispanic descent.
etc...
Grandstanding:
His tent city, the "tank", various press releases, interviews, etc...

He tried to hide his incompetence through bluster and showboating.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:03:45 AM by Firethorn »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 03:24:17 AM »

He tried to hide his

Looks like he succeeded ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 09:26:11 AM »
From news coverage, he wasn't convicted of violating a specific LAW - that is, something passed by the Congress and signed by POTUS - but rather, he was convicted of not doing something one man told him to in the way that one man wanted.

I agree with RKL - if he really was that dirty, charge him with violating a specific law other than "He didn't do what he was told."

And with judges today, the problem isn't showing contempt - the problem is hiding the contempt many of them so richly deserve. (APS member magistrates excepted, of course.  ;) .)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
Arpaio is a scumbag but maybe this will be a strong signal to the illegal community.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.